Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Editing Softwares - Suggestions required!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Editing Softwares - Suggestions required!

As some of you may know, I've been doing some small video posts every now and then, almost exclusively things that happen in War Thunder. I've been editing all my stuff in Microsoft Movie Maker which is not the best, but I didn't need any advanced editing capabilities at the time.

After a while, I feel like I've outgrown it and is rather ambitious in making effects, most of which I feel like basic things, that can't be done in Movie Maker, so now here I am looking for an upgrade. Nothing professional, but I do have money to spare to get myself something decent.

If there's anyone here with some experience, I would like some suggestions and pointers.

Choices:
    Adobe Premiere Elements,
    Sony Movie Studio 13,
    or Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13?

Thoughts or suggestions for other products?

If I get Premiere Elements, I'd probably grab Photoshop Elements along with it as well, which is why it's up there. My first choice was to just get Sony Movie Studio since it's cheaper and does what I need, but the Photoshop Elements part is kinda nagging me to get Adobe Premiere instead, which is why I have Movie Studio Platinum on there as well since the price is the same right now.

If you want to know what software I use for editing; I use Sony Movie Studio's older brother, Sony Vegas (specifically Sony Vegas Pro 12).

Comparing Movie Studio 13 (and its Platinum Edition), you'll get most of the basic stuff that you can get in Vegas. There are some limitations like number of tracks (Movie Studio has 10, Platinum has 20), masking being somewhat limited, and a few others. Some of these limitations will not often be a bother. Rarely do I ever go over 10 or 20 tracks unless it's a resource heavy scene. For example, my 4/20 video wherein I animated a bunch of joints and shutter shades onto fairies. (Don't ask.)
    You can consult this table to see what you're getting out of either Movie Studio or Platinum in comparison to what I get in Vegas. (You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to the full comparison table.)

For full integration with Photoshop and other Adobe software, Premiere doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I know a lot of people (including Katrix) who use Premiere. And, in some ways, Premiere does seem superior to Sony's editing software. As I have yet to use the software myself and have only seen it in action a few times, I can't really detail as to how much of a good choice Premiere would be.
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

I don't know how much Premiere Elements differs from Premiere Pro(which I use), but I have to say that I do like the workflow of working in Premiere. The UI is nice, lot's of effects and similar, and the base video editing tools also worrk flawlessly. As TR also pointed out, the integration between Adobe programs is wonderful. (I thought you already had Photoshop tough?)
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      someone is fighting for you.
      –As long as you remember her,
      you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
        (I thought you already had Photoshop tough?)
        I do, and I don't
        But by the looks of things, I think I'll get the Adobe bundle. There's a sales on and it looks like a good investment.

Comment

Movie maker because I want you to spend 0$ because you spend $400,000 feeding other children

Comment

Changed my mind on the bundle. Tested Photoshop Elements' 30 day trial; it's shit. It's got the basics, but I never noticed I've already went beyond the basics... Plus the performance was actually rather bad; for a computer that can run many games at max settings, I get mouse stuttering with it, and it bugs the hell out of me.

EDITS:
            Tested Sony Movie Studio 13. Really liking it so far, although already I am noticing a lack of parent/child (composite) track capabilities making masking an annoyance. It's a really good step up from Movie Maker, simplistic UI, "no-fuss" effects, and a gentle learning curve. I'm going to give Premiere Elements a shot and finally Movie Studio Platinum later on as well, although Movie Studios on its own seems to cover for the basics I'm looking for with a really attractive price tag.

Tested Adobe Premiere Elements. Compared to Movie Studio, the ability to use masking layers really helps, although the UI is... Well... Bad... I know they're trying to prevent clutter by hiding a lot of things, but this ends up just making things hard to find. Controls for animations are not as easy to use. Gonna try my luck with Sony Movie Studios Platinum later.
            Last edited by Krittercon; 05-06-2015, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Sony Vegas is what i use when video editing for most video projects (including yc videos). If you have a mac, I suggest Final Cut as that's my default for OSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would get Vegas, but I don't think the 400USD price tag is worth it, especially with the types of video I make.

Checked out Sony Movie Studios Platinum, still no masking capability (Appearantly that's a Vegas only thing).
                Looks like I may end up going Premiere Elements. Movie Studios is simplier to use and get a hold of, but Premiere Elements has some more tools to work with.

Comment

Working...
                X