Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OOC Board] Eternal Galaxy: The Mirror Sea

Another placeholder thread for Aion's Backstory

To give a general idea of what this one will have:

The Mirror Sea is a mythic place on the Planet Dua, or New Earth.
    Finding himself drifting in the South Sea, Aion is rescued by a band of Pirates led by Captain Violet.
    The adventure starts there, and leads the group across the Mirror Sea.

for this RP I would go with something totally different from the normal Mirror Sea story.
    Instead I would start it before Aion shows up and it would be a free for all story where things would be a bit looser as there would be no plot on my end.

Oh and here's what I had on the actual story with Aion in this one...(The Mirror Sea was the one I got the furthest in typing up...)

And remember: Aion's nickname is Arrow

The outline:

EDIT:
    Uh...this is...pretty much outdated cause a lot of the concepts don't mesh anymore with the new Story.

• Chapter 1: Between Horizons
    o Intro, description of New Earth’s oceans, nicknamed Dua, and the ship Celestora, crew and Captain Violet, as well as Arrow.
    • Chapter 2: On Still Waters
    o Captain Violet, Arrow, and crew sail near the border of the Mirror Sea, which is surrounded by a fall line and jagged crystal spires. Legend of the sea is told (resting place of the keystone (?)) Also, the sword Mercurius is introduced. They realize that the shortest way to the Tower of Aquarion is to pass through the Mirror Sea.
    • Chapter 3: The Great Labyrinth
    o The Celestora enters the Mirror Sea, in which there is no wind near the surface of the waters, yet there is an underwater current that runs throughout the waters, as well as smooth clear crystal “reefs”, whose surfaces are aligned with the surface of the ocean, creating a form of labyrinth of currents and crystal.
    • Chapter 4: Crystal Night
    o That night, the crystal reefs and spires glow in various shades of blue, and a path can be seen through the sea. Arrow discovers that the crystal in the pendant he wears is beginning to glow brighter as they sail on. Mysterious figures are seen moving across the sea.
    • Chapter 5: Maelstrom of Fire
    o As they sail on, a fog settles on the waters and Arrow notices voices that don’t sound human. They encounter a ghost ship which creates a rift of flames in the waters around it. Spirits (Sirens) attempt to lure the crew to their death and undead pirates board the Celestora. The two ships engage in a naval battle, which creates a whirlpool of fire, which almost consumes the Celestora but Arrow’s sword, Mercurius, gives off a radiant light that disperses the flames. Nearing the battle’s climax, all the spirits disappear. The crew now reduced to only half their original number, collapse after a mysterious shriek renders the air.
    • Chapter 6: In the Reflections of the Sky
    o Arrow is the first to awaken. The fog had lifted part way giving more visibility. After everyone, including Captain Violet, regained consciousness, they sail onward to the other side of the Mirror Sea, eventually reaching the Tower of Aquarion. Once inside, Arrow reaches the teleporter that is a link between Dua and Duon. When Arrow activates it, it causes a part of the ancient tower to collapse near the Celestora. The end of the book concludes with Arrow calling out to Captain Violet and the remainder of the crew to get off the ship when another large part of the tower begins to fall towards them. Arrow does not see the result as the teleportation process finishes then.
    • Epilogue: Fate of Sorrow
    o A few months after, Arrow returns to the Tower of Aquarion as a fully fledged pilot. He scans over the waters near the tower and attempts to fly over the Mirror Sea, however stops short as he notices that power to his aircraft starts to wane as he approaches the border. As he looks out towards the horizon, he gets a call to return to base as a storm begins to draw near.

Eternal Galaxy
    The Mirror Sea

Chapter 1: Between Horizons
    The air was calm and brisk. A gentle breeze played across the brilliant waters of the planet Dua, which the Humans call New Earth. The sky that day was pristine as there was not a cloud to be seen, which gave way to the view of the sister planet, Duon. Sea birds played in the thermal currents above the softly rolling waves below. A ship with massive sails cut through the sea with ease. The crew kept busy with the daily chore of maintaining the great ship. Despite the year and technology available, it was a beautifully crafted wooden ship, with blue painted details on the hull. The Celestora, as it was called, was a magnificent sight to behold. In the crow’s nest, a lookout yelled down to the others, “Man overboard!” The entire crew looked about, puzzled. “Aye! Down in the waters!” another man shouted. Soon the entire crew was looking over the railing at the lone figure floating between the waves. Suddenly the captain of the ship, a woman with a dress made of purple velvet and blue embroidery, as well as a large hat made of the same with a large white plume tucked into it, came to the railing giving out orders. “Well don’t just stand there with yer gobs droopin’! Haul him on board!” And so, with ease, they brought aboard the young man from the ocean’s grip. “He’s a pilot…” one of the crew mentioned. “See that badge on his vest? I’ve seen it before somewhere, on some aircraft.” Captain Violet saw the metal crest that the speaker mentioned. The diamond star encircled by metallic green laurel branches on the shield-shaped emblem glinted in the sunlight. Her eyes went wide as she realized what it was. “Keep an eye on this one. Bring him over to that hammock and tell me when he awakens. The rest of ye, return to your posts.” And with a loud “Aye Aye Cap’n!” they went off. Violet went back to the helm, chancing a quick glance back at the unconscious pilot. “Why would one of them be here on Dua?” she asked herself. With a shake of her head she dismissed the thought. It might just be coincidence she thought.

The pilot’s hand twitched. He tried to open his eyes, but a bright light caused him to close them again. His eyes were adjusting slowly. He felt pain course through his body when he tried to lift himself. His mind was still groggy. “Where am I? Is that water I hear? Is this The Great Sea of Duon? Can’t be…I was at…My home? Did I fall off the cliff into the sea? Was I near the cliff? No…I was in front of the house and I saw…” His eyes snapped open at that moment. The pilot pulled himself out of the hammock, ignoring the pain in his limbs. Falling out, he pulled himself partially upright, just enough to scramble for the guardrail. “I have to get back!” He stumbled twice before he hauled himself to the railing. However, the pain finally overcame him and a yell escaped his lungs. Having heard this, the crew member, which was to watch over the pilot, woke up from his sleep. “Oi! Where do you think yer goin?!” The burly man grabbed the frantic young one, stopping him in mid lunge over the rail. “Let…go! Ugh! I need to get back! I need to…!” His last words died in the wind. The pilot felt himself go limp in the crew member’s grasp. He gazed helplessly at the horizon. There was nothing but water as far as his eyes could see. Captain Violet came rushing up when she heard the ruckus. “Well it looks like our guest finally woke up from his beauty sleep, hmm?” The young man did not look at her; rather he continued to gaze at the vast waters. “I’m Violet. What’s your name, boy?” This time he responded with a glance at Violet. “My name…? …Arrow. Call me Arrow.” Once he finished, his gaze returned back to the horizon. The burly crew member finally released Arrow and stood nearby, awaiting any further orders. Violet gestured for him to get food for their guest. After he left, Violet spoke again. “Arrow, odd name…” She sat on the railing with her arms crossed. Arrow closed his eyes as though in deep thought. He murmured something, barely audible and went quiet again, hanging his head. What Violet thought she heard caused her heart to skip a beat. “What did you say?” she said quickly with a frantic tone. However, at that moment the big muscular man that she had sent to the galley came back with some cooked fish garnished with various herbs and sauce. Violet took one of the two dishes. “Oh, thank you Deron. I see that the chef has outdone himself again!” Deron offered the second plate to Arrow, who looked at it quizzically as he slowly took it. She noticed his look, “If yer not hungry, then you are an odd one!” He finally relented and took a small sample of the cooked fish. Violet smiled somewhat as she noticed that Arrow became more relaxed with time.
    After a moment, Arrow looked out at the crystal waters once more. “So this is the Great Sea.”
    “The Great Sea? This is the South Sea.” Arrow looked at Violet in bewilderment. “The South Sea, but that would mean that this is…”
    “This is Dua, not Duon. Where are you from? Aritari? I know that continent has a famous space port…”
    “No, Pangaea.”
    “But that’s the continent on Duon. You can’t be…” The look on Arrow’s face made her think otherwise. “You are from Duon. So then, what are you doing here in the middle of the South Sea?”
    “I- I don’t know…I don’t know how I could have gotten here in the first place.”
    “You’re a pilot in the military, right?”
    “Huh? Military? No… I’m just a pilot. My father was in the Strike Fighters but I’m not going. The Hunter’s Guild is more my speed.”
    “Oh? Then why do you have…?” But she trailed off as the realization that Arrow did not know the significance of the emblem on his jacket came to her. “Hunter’s Guild…” Violet’s mind turned over this new information. “Something is wrong here.”
    “Cap’n.” Violet jumped slightly. “The ship is all buttoned down for the night. There’s no breeze so we shouldn’t drift.” Deron looked forward, awaiting further orders.
    “Good enough, everyone can retire to their bunks…” Violet’s eyes were looking at some point past Deron when he asked, “What ‘bout the boy?”
    “…Everyone can retire to their bunks…” When Violet said this, Deron saw something in her eyes that he never saw before: Fear. “Aye, Cap’n.” and after he left, Arrow spoke up. “Captain Violet?”
    “What was- What was your mother’s name?”
    “Pardon?”
    “Your mother, what was her name?”
    “Nyx.”
    “Ah…” silence followed. Arrow looked at her quizzically.
    “You’d better get some rest Arrow. There should be a bunk open below deck.”
    “Violet?”
    “Leave me for a moment.” And so Arrow obliged her request. Once he was gone, Violet’s thoughts were spoken aloud. “So…That mortal god is here…Astraeus.”
    She looked down from the heavens that had caught her attention a moment before. “Fate finally brought you here. Fate…ha, or was it you Revere? Oh, Revere, are you playing this dangerous game?” A sound caused her to look at the empty doorway to the lower decks. “…A dangerous game with fate?”

Arrow did not move for a moment from his spot near the door. “Astraeus…who’s Astraeus? And how does Violet know Revere?” Mind racing he quickly checked to see if Violet was looking his way before moving below decks. “Dua, Nyx, Astraeus, Revere…and Violet. What’s the connection? Why is there a connection?”

Chapter 2: On Still Waters

Arrow looked about the ship, noting the various ropes crisscrossing between deck and mast. He became familiar with the way the ship moved through the waters. The slight rocking back and forth from the swells didn’t affect him at all now. The lookout, a small elderly man named Hank, glanced grumpily downward from the crow’s nest to where Arrow was clinging to the rigging on the port side. He shook his head. “Humph! The young rip thinks himself a sailor now!” Arrow heard what Hank said, but remained indifferent, watching the southern horizon. His mind was working out the impossible: how did he get on Dua? In every scenario he thought of, there was no way he could have ended up in the Southern Sea of Dua. Except for one, but the question it brought: “Why bring me to Dua?” His thoughts were interrupted when the ship lurched unexpectedly, causing him to look down. The waters at the surface were flowing rapidly. “The current…” Climbing down the rigging he jogged over to the starboard rail. The sight before him left him speechless. A massive, curved spire of smooth obsidian reached skyward, surrounded by a cascade of water flowing in an upward arc from a bottomless chasm that divided the sea as far as the eye could see. Looking outward, Arrow could see more spires, exactly the same, in the distance. The light played in the silver mist of the roaring waters, creating various colored rainbows and auroras.
    “Wow…”
    “Impressive isn’t it?” Violet walked up to the railing next to him. She had a slight smile. “The Mirror’s Edge, it’s as mysterious as the sea within its borders.”
    Picking up a small apple, Arrow flung it as hard as he could toward the rift, noting how, as it fell, it eventually stopped and went back up towards them. “It’s not wind that’s causing the water to flow upwards.”
    “That’s right.”
    “Then how…?”
    “You don’t know the legends, do you?”
    A sigh escaped Arrow as he looked away for a moment.
    “Legends, they’re nothing but stories.”
    “I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss them, Arrow. You never know, they might be helpful to us all one day.”
    Arrow remained silent.
    “Well, ‘The Legend of the Shards of Starlight’ speaks of –“
    “The Shards of Starlight?!” He suddenly became alert. “There’s nothing about Dua in it!”
    Startled, yet amused, Captain Violet smirked softly. “So you do know the one legend?”
    “Just…just the one.”
    “Well then you forgot the one passage, the one that mentions the Mirror Sea.”
    “The Mirror…then…wait, are you saying that this is the edge of the Mirror Sea? But, it’s just a legend…it can’t be…”
    “It is,” she pointed out to faint line coming up from the northern horizon. “Beyond its borders is the Tower of Aquarion, which links Dua with Duon.”
    “The ancient tower, at its base on Duon is a small space port. How long would it be from where we are to the tower?”
    “Eight days to sail around the Mirror Sea, give or take!” Hank called down from his lookout. “Though, the nearest space port here on Dua is only five days away.”
    “Eight days to the tower, Five days to the space port…So how much of a hurry would you be in to get back to your home?” Arrow looked forward, hesitant. “Arrow?”
    “How long would it take to go through the Mirror Sea?”
    “Go through the Mirror Sea?!” cried one of the crew. “Tis a death wish to go across those cursed waters!”
    “How long?”
    “It is said that it can be crossed in two days,” replied Violet. Arrow stayed quiet for a moment. “Well?”
    “The current… it stopped.”
    “Huh? What do you-?”
    “Captain…look.” Violet looked at where the crew was looking and saw that the waters were still. The sky went dark, not from clouds, not from night fall. As they all gazed across the waters, Violet noticed a soft blue glow in the darkness. It was the obelisks that were in the Mirror’s Edge. “What’s happening?” murmured one of the crew. At that time, Violet noticed that the pendent Arrow wore around his neck also emitted the same blue light. “What is fate telling us?”
    Arrow took a half step forward. “I hear something…”
    “The Mirror Sea, it is calling us?”
    “…Those whose fate must be realized must pass through the mirror’s reflection. It looks like we don’t have a choice now.”
    “What?!”
    “No point in arguing with destiny. We sail through the Mirror Sea!”
    “But Cap’n!”
    “Yes…let us play a game with fate, right Violet?” Arrow did not look at her when he said this.
    “Yea-” She stopped mid phrase.

Last edited by Cucoo5; 11-24-2013, 05:23 PM.

Working...
X