X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it wrong to steal "art-styles"?

Hi guys, as always sorry for not being so active as a member and sorry for giving you my problems to talk about this time.
    ...maybe you don't rightfully even care and that's okay to me, really.

In any case if someone can help me to make up with my mind i would really appreciate that.
    I've never considered my self as an artist (even now) but sure it is that just like an artist i'm actually full of fear, doubts and worries.

The title speak for it self but to give you an example of what i'm talking about i'll post one of my WIP and a picture from which i "borrowed" the art-style.
    My sketch:

Image take it from moriyashrine.weebly.com

I don't like copying but i wanna draw Kogasa whit this style from now on.
    ...but i don't feel like it's the right thing to do.

So...Is it so wrong?

Is it wrong to steal "art-styles"?

As a few of us have come to the conclusion that nothing is original, just go with it.
    If I recall, great artists do mimic previously great artists sometimes.

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Adding on to what Cucoo said, even tough you might feel that your are in fact copying an art style, you'll pretty much always add a bit of your own into it too. Also, from what I know, it's not just that picture where Kogasa looks like that. Oh and also, they're called art styles for a reason.
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      someone is fighting for you.
      –As long as you remember her,
      you are not alone.

Comment

@Cucoo5
        So i have your blessing then XD Thanks for your support.
        I hope the original artist don't get mad about it.

edit:
        @Katrix, Thank you too

Your comments are a relief guys.

Comment

I basically agree with what katrix and cucoo said. Having similar art styles to those that you like is perfectly fine. From a musical composer's perspective, I have a lot of styles I like and enjoy that are specific to some composers. Yet, because I enjoy those nuances and styles, I try to incorporate them into my own works while trying to give it my own little twist and spin. It's not "copying" or anything so long as you recognize that it's not originally yours and you try to modify it to give it a unique taste.

Comment

@Remi, well didn't think about it that way.
            That's a nice way to thinking infact.

...but about try to modify it and give it an unique taste, what if i can reproduce "the blushes, the hair-style, the face, the eyes, the cloth" but at the same time being able to change expressions and project the character in any different angles like if it's mine?

Is that copying? I that wrong because people can confuse it with someone else artwork?
            ...am I overthinking?

Comment

...I don't think you have to worry about it. Really.
              At the end of the day, I don't think the common viewer will realize the similarities. I myself have seen so many character portrayals that are so similar to each other I couldn't tell what artist drew them.
              Like artist portrayals of Yuuka.
              There's a handful that are by different artists that are so similar I couldn't originally tell the difference.
              Then I noticed subtle constants.
              One artist would always draw her hair one way, another her skirt, and another her parasol.

I say just mimic it and add that signature difference.

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@Cucoo5
                Okay i'll do it then, i knew it opening this thread was a good idea.
                I've earned a lot of ispiration and less worries because of it XD

Thank you guys

Comment

You can't really "steal" someones style. Taking inspiration from someone else s drawing style is perfectly normal. After all if art doesn't inspire you to draw then what will?

Comment

Not at all! A lot of people imitate other art styles and some are even inspired by them.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Comment

People use junya oota's style, as its a tag on dan/gelbooru, and he doesn't go anal about it. (AKA: ZUN)

Comment

I agree with tewi, you can't really steal art styles. I say it's getting inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by troublexassassin View Post
                          You can't really "steal" someones style. Taking inspiration from someone else s drawing style is perfectly normal. After all if art doesn't inspire you to draw then what will?
                          Sure it is, it's the first time that i'm happy because i can't do something :lol:
                          ...also the last quote is always true.

Originally posted by Lunasa Prismriver View Post
                          Not at all! A lot of people imitate other art styles and some are even inspired by them.
                          As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
                          Now that's another quote to remember.

Originally posted by Yukkurirumia View Post
                          People use junya oota's style, as its a tag on dan/gelbooru, and he doesn't go anal about it. (AKA: ZUN)
                          Now that last quote rumia is gold, i have to say it XD
                          I'm going to use it someday for sure, it's too good. :lol over-9000:

Originally posted by Nuclearblt View Post
                          I agree with tewi, you can't really steal art styles. I say it's getting inspiration.
                          Nuclear, i always wanted to tell you this my friend, i can't look at your avatar without get hungry.
                          ...it's suffering.
                          Sorry man.

Comment

As an artist myself this is a constant problem I face.
                            I'm easily swayed by other art styles I like and eventually I draw in that style like I'm copying the original artist, one minute I'd be drawing something cartoony and another I drawing something that looks like it came out of Lucky Star. It sometimes scares me from posting art in an art style I referenced, in fear of being bashed to no end.

Like Tewi said you can't really steal one because you can't claim an art style as your own; you can't have other people not draw in it just because you said so.
                            Everyone finds there style from someone else and slowly develop it in there own way, it's pretty common especially with anime drawings.

So no copying another art style isn't bad because you'll most likely take the original and develop it into your own.

Comment

While I'm no artist, I got where I was today by first copying and then combining artstyles from other people who I like. There's nothing wrong with copying artstyles since there's so much out there that hardly anything's original anymore.

Tracing something and passing it off as your own, however, is another story.

Comment

Working...
                              X