X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions for names and titles copyright

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted something here and since my little announcement about an original web comic, that still needs some refinements.
    I'm here to asking for your opinions or informations about "names" and "titles" this time.

I currently named a folder on dA as "Down to the Sky" because [censored for spoiler] and I have 2 scripts and character designs for other projects called "4thWPD" (4th Wall Police Department) and an 18+ project called "Ex-Cupid's Tales";

1. [Down to the Sky] will be an original project of mine.
    2. [4thWPD] will be full of characters that doesn't belong to me (Including most of the Touhou Girls)
    [So it's a some-kind of fanwork with original characters in it, basically]
    3. [Ex-Cupid's Tales] will be an +18 comic available on pixiv only ...because (well hentai stuff)

All these projects take place into a universe that i called "Outward" but then I discovered on google that there's a Kickstart project called "Outward etc. etc." too.

So... my questions are:
    Is that a problem if my universe is called "Outward" even though it's not the name of any of my projects? Should I change it anyway? Will people kill me for stealing names ideas (even though I didn't)? Do I think too much?

Here's a sketch of some of the monsters. ...just because.
    In the description of dA I already said that I called this universe "Outward" btw.

p.s.: Remi sorry for not drawing the spring banner this year but I'll try to remedy drawing something this summer.

edit: Sketches of some people.
    Last edited by Im_the_strongest; 04-29-2015, 03:18 AM.

I don't think there are going to be many issues with using the name Outward for your project. Titles of project aren't really protected by copyright but they can be trademarked. If the devs of the game do end up trademarking their game's name (which is doubtful considering the simplicity of the name), be prepared to change the name if and when you receive a cease and desist.

Regardless of name issues and IP, I wish you the best of luck with your project. It looks very promising thus far.
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Originally posted by TRXD View Post
      I don't think there are going to be many issues with using the name Outward for your project. Titles of project aren't really protected by copyright but they can be trademarked. If the devs of the game do end up trademarking their game's name (which is doubtful considering the simplicity of the name), be prepared to change the name if and when you receive a cease and desist.

Regardless of name issues and IP, I wish you the best of luck with your project. It looks very promising thus far.
      Thanks for the kind words as always TRXD.
      So It's possible? ...even though it's the universe itself and just that? ...well I guess I'll be prepared then. (Hope it doesn't happen anyway tho)

Anyway thanks for the good luck, I posted a sketch of some citizen and I hope to upload the comic soon.
      finger crossed

Comment

Good luck sir! Great drawings as usual! Also, sometimes people put "names or events that relate to real life are absolutely coincidental" or something like that. As long as you can give rights to the respective owners of non-original characters, you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclearblt View Post
          Good luck sir! Great drawings as usual! Also, sometimes people put "names or events that relate to real life are absolutely coincidental" or something like that. As long as you can give rights to the respective owners of non-original characters, you should be fine.
          Thanks Nuke, one the second project (4thWPD) that must be a rule so yes of course.

ps. I fixed the links of the pictures since they didn't work at first.

Comment

Working...
          X