X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original - Death's mind

This is a story that I original dreamed about 3-4 years ago. Back then I called the story "The legend of Elios". However I never wrote it down and eventually I forgot about it. Now however I just remembered it and this time I wrote it down. I did not write it like it was originally made, but much darker and more depressing.

Death's Mind

He looked up into the ceiling. It was dirty, just like everything else. Of course it was, they didn’t have the water or soap to wash it. It would just be a waste anyway. Not that it mattered anyway tough. Nothing was clean nowadays. The air was too polluted so it covered everything with it’s a thin layer of chemicals. When he was younger, his mom had told tales of when she was little of how everything was so green and fresh. That was about 20 years ago. When he was little it was still pretty green around here. Now everything was just one big mess. Why did people still bother to live anyway? Sure, they had their job and all, but that was just an excuse, not a real reason. Life didn’t really have any joys. Kids were held inside at all times. It was supposedly too dangerous to go outside. Not that it mattered anyway. There wasn’t really anything to do outside besides just going around. There was one place tough. One place where he enjoyed sneaking off to.

He got out of his bed and went out the door that lead to his room. He then jumped out one of the windows. Although a normal person would have freaked out over something like, it was completely safe. He landed on a big and yellow tree branch. From there he could walk from tree to tree and get out of the city. The trees was the only plant that could actually thrive from all the pollution. Not only that, but they were gigantic as well. They could reach heights as tall as 100 meters and widths of several hundred meters. That didn’t make them any more lively tough.

After reaching the end of the city, he climbed down from the tree. As he had used the trees, he didn’t have to bother about the fence all the way around the city. Supposedly, it was set up to protect them from the outside world, whatever that was meant to mean. He hadn’t really seen anything that was worth to protect from. Maybe it was from some threat that he had yet to see. More likely it was just there to keep them from going outside. His mother knew of that he went outside, yet she never said a word about it which was a pretty good proof of this.

After about an hour of walking he finally reached the place he had been thinking about. It was a large three just like the rest. However, this one had one thing that set it apart from the others. It was green. The whole area around it was green and fresh. It was like a bubble. Even the sky was fresh. It was as if time was turned back a few hundred or so years. Normally he just liked to lie under the tree and relax. If only everything was like this. That was his goal, to return the world to how it once was. Lively, green, fresh and a reason to live.

Today however he also had another goal in mind. Last time he was here, he had found a hammer, and not just any hammer. This hammer was decorated as if it belonged to king or someone with similar status. Of course, they didn’t have any king or similar person in the age where he was living, but that only meant that the hammer was even older and thus even more valuable. Today he had come back to see if he could find anything similar that could also have belonged to this king. There was many places to look.

He only found a ring however after searching for a few hours. He lied down by the base of the tree to study the ring he found. It was a pretty normal ring with what looked like a fractured ruby on one side. Just as if it had been smashed by something. Maybe it was the tree that had destroyed it, or maybe it had happened before that. Either way he took it on and left it on his hand. Fractured or not, it was a nice ring and his friends and family was surely going to be jealous of him.

After a few more hours, he headed home again. Unfortunately for him tough everyone was afraid when he showed them the ring. They asked questions like “What are you going to use it for?” and “Please just return it to where you found it and forget about it.” To him this was very sad. Why didn’t they understand him? Why couldn’t they understand why he had found it? Regardless he went to sleep early this day. He wanted to think about why they hadn’t liked what he had brought back. Did they think it was wrong? He could understand why they thought so, but then again he felt so trapped in here. He wanted to go out. Somewhere where he could be free.

The following days he began to see things that wasn’t really there. It was mostly things that belonged to the past. Green grass, blue water and fresh air. It was just like that one place in the forest. He wanted to go there again, but at the same time, he didn’t want to. He loved that place, but he also hated it. He did carry the ring and the hammer with him at all times tough. He didn’t care that people were scared because of it.

At one point, it got so bad that he could recognize the world around him anymore. At this point, his mom called in a doctor, but he didn’t care about that. He had his own way of solving the problem. At this point, he had finally found out what was happening. He had found a way to escape this dull place. He had found a way to escape to a much better place that was much greener and fresher. That was what he had seen all this time. This new place that he was going to escape too.

He didn’t want to have the others miss him tough, so he was going to try to bring them with him. This was where the ring came into the picture. The ring was a way to escape this place. He would use the ring in the middle of the city so he could bring as many people as possible. He walked out to the middle of the main square, took of his ring, placed it in the right spot and smashed it with the hammer. Then everything went black.

He was back to 15 years ago. Everything was green and fresh. Everyone was happy. No one remembered what had happened. Unfortunately, it didn’t take long until the pollution started. From there everything evolved just as they had before. It felt like a mere instance before he was back at the main square. Just as last time he smashed it with his hammer. And everything went black again. Such it repeated. Again and again, over and over.

He sat there in the complete emptiness and tough over his life. Over what he had just done. Over how many people ha had driven to do the same. In the end he really had enjoyed that life. Sure there wasn’t much going on, but wasn’t that the charm. He was free to do whatever he liked. He wasn’t chained down by work and school. Maybe if he just had been a little bit more creative it hadn’t ended like that.

He looked over to his side where the two item were laying. A golden hammer and a golden knife with a Ruby in it. No, he couldn’t think of it like that. It was just too horrible. He picked up the knife and began to reshape it with his own hands and the hammer. He didn’t care how long it would take. He had plenty of time. All that he cared about at this moment was to forget. Forget all those things he did.

When he was done, it looked much more like he wanted to think of it. Now it wasn’t a golden knife anymore, but a golden ring. This ring represented his soul he tough. Just like his soul it was fractured. He tough of it. Yes, it was a ring, not a knife. A ring, not a knife. A ring, not a knife. A ring, not a knife. From there on, he began to go through his life’s worth of memories. The only change he made was to change the knife with the ring. From that moment on he repeated his memories until he could no longer remember the truth.
    Born in the light.
    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
    Keep Fighting.
    –Don't Forget.
    Always, somewhere,
    someone is fighting for you.
    –As long as you remember her,
    you are not alone.

Huh.
    That's actually kinda interesting.
    Sorta has a bit of a Ryukishi07 repeater to it.
    (Writer of Higurashi and Umineko no Naku Koro ni.)

I take it then that the protagonist doesn't actually age,
    or that he lives trapped in a kind of dream world that can't really change?
    (Given that the attempts to bring green back to the world appear to be a repeated event and therefore a rule of the world.)

Comment

The idea is that he is actually dead and he is stuck in Purgatory. I short of hinted of it as people was afraid of the ring and that he placed it in the right place(over his chest) and smash it in(uses the hammer to thrust the knife in.)

As for that Higurashi thing. Totally did not intend that. In fact I am still watching Higurashi and recommended it to my sister earlier today.
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      you are not alone.

Comment

I see. Yes.
        So the ring he made from the knife actually ceases to exist when he begins to recall the past,
        since even though he thinks it's a ring, it's actually the knife.

But then you have to wonder: In the first instance, did the protagonist know it was a knife when he plunged it into his chest?
        I guess that could be what killed him in the first place.
        In which case it'd be fairly ironic that an action taken to free him from that desolate place actually ends up trapping him there for eternity.

If you're far enough into Higurashi you might notice similarities other than the loop,
        (but saying too much would be spoilery if you haven't gotten far and to people reading that haven't seen the show yet.)

Also, sorry if I'm reading too much into your story. ^_^;

Comment

Yeah. He was completely aware of what he did. I was thinking that he had grown tiered of that world. One of the first sentences in the story is "Why did people still bother to live anyway?". In the end he went crazy and killed himself as he couldn't take it anymore. Right before he commits suicide he wonders how many he will bring with him. This is kind of saying that he believes hey should all die as whatever awaits them is better than what they are living in now. I was afraid I hinted too much of it trough the story, but I guess I didn't.

As for the irony. I guess you are right. Maybe he will continue on when he is finally able to forget about the knife? Personally I don't think he will ever be able to completely forget about it. No matter how many times he repeats it.

Also. I don't mind you reading into the story. I tried to write it in a way where you need to analyze it a bit and maybe read it a second time before you understand what's going on.
          Born in the light.
          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
          Keep Fighting.
          –Don't Forget.
          Always, somewhere,
          you are not alone.

Comment

Working...
          X