Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new Pokémon revealed! And holy sh*t this guy's ability! RIP Steel-types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ2sin-c3Kk

A lot of my favourite Pokémon are now quivering in fear over this guy's ability.
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Judging by their wording I think you can only inflict poison onto the poison types and steel types, but can't damage steel types with poison type moves. Which means, unless his stats aren't stacked more towards defensive side, I don't see him used in competitive that often.

Shiiit, love the design though. He's a little bandit salamander. Sure slap some mud and he dies, but air balloon is a thing :^)
      sigpic
      Spoiler:

Comment

I will say. Love the type of Poison/Fire. It seems cool, and his ability seems nifty at the least. His design is also adorably cool.

Comment

Competitive Pokemon can go away. If you want to play competitively, play a game that focuses on PvP. I hate how people are turning Pokemon into a competitive game.
          "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

Originally posted by Zekai View Post
            If you want to play competitively, play a game that focuses on PvP.
            Isn't Pokémon's multiplayer, by the definition of PvP, a PvP game?
            Besides, with all the inner workings and layers of strategy to the game, there is no wonder that a competitive scene formed. And quite the firm and deep-rooted one too.
            Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

Pokemon's theme is "Gotta catch them all!" not "Battle everyone online". The only reason to have multiplayer honestly is for trading to "catch them all"
              "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

Originally posted by Zekai View Post
                Competitive Pokemon can go away. If you want to play competitively, play a game that focuses on PvP. I hate how people are turning Pokemon into a competitive game.
                You can piss off and die in a box for all I care.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:

Comment

@Zekai
                  Catching is one side, battling is another. Heck, why do you battle trainers and gym leaders in the story if battling isn't a major focus of the game? Heck, Pokémon's 2nd biggest (if not the biggest) design aspect is about connecting people together. It doesn't matter if it's through trading, battling, or random minigames. That's what Satoshi Tajiri envisioned when he thought up of Pokémon.
                  Yes, catch 'em all is the catchphrase. But battling is still a big part of the game.

@Wriggle
                  Ok. A bit too aggressive there, sir. I'm gonna have to warn you to lay off before any sh*t goes down. Zekai may have been too brash in criticising competitive but I really don't think you should take it that far.

Comment

Pokemon's theme is also "I wonna be the very best, that no one ever was." What's the point of raising, breeding and training your team if you can't battle with them against other people? And don't say for the story because the stories are so piss easy that any 4 year old could pick up the game and beat it in a day. Don't hate on something just because you're not good at it.

Comment

@Zekai.

I'm going to agree with TRXD and Tewi right there. I the name of the game is supposed to be 'gotta catch them all' then why is there battling. Why is there actually a lot of depth to moves that have more effects than just 'damage the enemy and get some added effects' with some moves having rather complex effects. If the name of the game is to 'catch them all' then why are there stats. Why are there things like leveling up? Why is there breeding in a game to get Pokemon with better stats, which is a mechanic that has been around since the Gameboy color generation of games?

From the beginning Pokemon wasn't just a 'gotta catch them all' game. It was a basic RPG that evolved to have better depth. It may not be as advanced as some other RPG's out there, but Pokemon was bound to get a competitive scene. HELL COMPETITIVE ISN'T EVEN THE MAIN DRAW TO POKEMON FOR EVERYONE THOUGH. Some people will play for 'just catching them all' and with how the recent main games have actually been getting STORY some people are getting more intrigued with the world of Pokemon.

Hell since Gen 3 there was starting to become a more competitive scene, and you can even argue since Gen 2. Which was on the gameboy color for christ's sake.

I'm not saying that Competitive should be the only feature, but if the name of the pokemon games is SUPPOSED to 'catch them all' then why is there battling and all that stuff? Hell in the games there is not much of a reward to catching all Pokemon, and with how much Pokemon there are it's literally nearing impossible to have 1 of each pokemon in the games unless they upgrade storage in the games.

I'm also not saying that you should enjoy or deal with competitive Zekai, but you seem to think that Pokemon is all about and only should be 'catching Pokemon' when at it's core it was SUPPOSED to be a basic RPG targeted towards Kids in the first place. A RPG that was designed to be easier for younger children to understand, but evolved over time. Trading wasn't just used to 'get all the Pokemon' but was also supposed to bring people together. That's why they added other multiplayer features with Wifi over the years ranging from battling, trading, and guess what? Various other minigames like a complete side game in Gen 4 known as the underground which was a completely 2nd world with a whole crap ton of other things to benefit yourself in the main game as well as playing with your friends.
                      '
                      You don't have to LIKE competitive. Hell I may take part in minor tournaments, but I suck at competitive (which can actually be pretty damn deep with some moves and abilities in Pokemon nowadays.) I prefer just playing the game normally and battling with friends, but I'm not afraid to throwdown once in a while.

Competitive is just something that evolved as the games evolved. As the games got more in-depth and complex (namely around the time of Gen 3-4 Onward), with multiplayer and ONLINE multiplayer battling and trading. Competitive was bound to form.

Over all at the end of the day the main Pokemon games are games with a lot of choice. Ranging from the very beginning of each game in "are you a boy or a girl" or "which starter you choose". To whether you want to catch all the Pokemon, or just try and get a good team to get through the game (because you kinda need a good team to BEAT the gym leaders to progress and get anywhere to get the Pokemon, which means some level grinding to begin with.) With all sorts of additional little things you can do like Pokemon contests, breeding, or... preparing for the competitive scene. Hell the choice does obviously stretch outside of the games in that you can like competitive or not, or even if you like the games (and all sorts of other things relating the games and series as a whole.)

All in all... yeah that's actually all I have to say.
                      Last edited by SUSTIC; 07-07-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

@TRXD
                        I'm sorry but if somebody's going to talk shit about something that took a huge part of my early adulthood for 4 years, then my first instinct is to talk shit about them. I'll try to keep it down but if he steps out of bound there will be hell to pay for him.
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:

Comment

@Wriggle
                          Of course. It's only natural. But I don't want this to spiral out of control. I'm pretty certain you know how this can go. And trust me, I'd rather sooner have this thread be about hype than be about salt.

@Everyone
                          Ok, guys. I'm expecting some conclusion shortly. This thread is not about debating wtf a game should be about. We should be discussing about how excited we are for the new Pokémon not about one's personal views on a niche in the Pokémon community.

Comment

I'm already done with all I have to say. Just gotta wait for new pokemon Sun Moon info

Comment

A new Japanese trailer came out a while ago. And damn is it a nice trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceVb22TqlV8
                              (Video taken from GameXplain)

Hatless trainer confirm! Jojo poses confirmed for game mechanic! Pokémon Amie confirmed to return!

Comment

Double posting because... well, no words to describe it. Just watch it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeG1pF8RcrI
                                (Video taken from GameXplain again.)

Holy crap! Just... Just watch it!

Comment

Working...
                                X