Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the avatar influence how you think of someone?

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the avatar influence how you think of someone?

Just a little bit curious. Are you influenced by how the avatars the others are using look like?
    Or is it all the same for you?
    Born in the light.
    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
    Keep Fighting.
    –Don't Forget.
    Always, somewhere,
    someone is fighting for you.
    –As long as you remember her,
    you are not alone.

To be totally honest

yes and no

For me it becomes a face of the person that I cannot see. So it influences something ever so slightly.
    But then there's the general behavior of the person. I typically associate that with the avatar. Even if you change the avatar, I will still associate you with your past.
    I typically wind up drawing symbolism connection between the avatar and the person's personality and that's about it.
    Sort of the reason why I was picky about what Lyrica pictures I was gonna use for the long haul. I wanted something that would convey a slightly more laid back emotion but could fit different tones.
    In this regard, I think of it as a sort of mask that is to portray me. And thus I return to my initial line.

Comment

<<< *Wonders what sort of misconceptions I have ended up with at this point*

Comment

@ Kritter

There is no misconception there
        You are a man.
        That cosplays as girls Touhous,
        like a boss.

Comment

I agree with Cuckoo; though I don't look usually don't look at symbolism between an avatar and a person's behaviour.

An avatar is for me a 'face', meaning that I usually look at them instead of a name to identificate someone.
          That usually works fine, unless someone changes his/her avatar. That usually confuses me for a few days, until I am accustomed to it.

There is one exception: 99465 (Leon)
          He currently uses his own, walfas made character as avatar. And there is this guy at my school, who loves making (usually) bad jokes using walfas, so I don't have a very high opinion of them. They happen to be one and the same, which doesn't really help him. XD

Comment

I honestly try not to let avatars influence my opinions on people. Except if the avatar is actually an image of the person IRL.
            Although it is tempting to sweeten up to people with avatars of your favourite characters or funny images, I tend to treat everyone with neutrality. Even Keychain or someone who has an image of one of my favourite characters.

I never associate a person with a specific avatar and rather remember them by name or personality (be it through text on forums or by voice on mumble).

Of course, I can imagine a lot of people thinking of myself as being a shy, tea-sipping bookworm. Well... At least they are right about two details. Hence why I chose this avatar if people ever did judge me by avatar. Am I right in saying this? Or do you guys think differently?
            Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
            My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
            My NNID: OfficialTRXD
            Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Originally posted by TRXD View Post
              Of course, I can imagine a lot of people thinking of myself as being a shy, tea-sipping bookworm. Well... At least they are right about two details. Hence why I chose this avatar if people ever did judge me by avatar. Am I right in saying this? Or do you guys think differently?
              This last part is sort of what I was talking about.

regardless of what others actually think, avatars tend to go through this (at least for me it does)

First you pick one you like.
              Then you pick one that would portray you the way you would want it to be.

I've so far have the track record of picking avatars that...seem to simulate the same feel/expression/tone

Comparing to what I have here, it has a similar tone does it not?

So I guess in the end, we consciously or subconsciously pick avatars dependent upon our own views/beliefs so that we portray ourselves a certain way, attempting to regulate how people would perceive us.

Comment

Well, an avatar give a faceless person a face. Just like what everyone else said, it allows you to identify a person by a picture instead of a name.

As for whether or not we subconsciously pick pictures to suit our beliefs/views, I chose mine simply because it matched. It has a somewhat serious look to it, but also has things that make it funny. Same with me.

Of course, it would be interesting to actually see the person behind the avatar for a change.
                Originally posted by S121
                Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                sigpic

Comment

I suddenly feel bad about how I chose my avatar
                  I made an account, thought "Oh crap, I have no idea what to use for an avatar", panicked, and thought about the folder with character pics from Touhou Pocket Wars I still had somewhere on my computer.
                  I might choose another one sometime, but I hate changing avatars so...

I don't judge people by avatar. That would be kinda messy, and it doesn't say anything about people at all. Sometimes an avatar does match a person, but I know a enough people that have a completely random avatar, that doesn't match their personality at all.

If you have to judge people, do it by personality. That usually gives you a more accurate idea of the person you are trying to judge.

And now I'm going to end this post, because if I don't, I have a feeling that I will end up in one of my philosofical moods, and end up writing about the meaning of life or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nitori_Kawashiro View Post
                    And now I'm going to end this post, because if I don't, I have a feeling that I will end up in one of my philosofical moods, and end up writing about the meaning of life or something like that.

@ S121

A post your face thread for those of us that are comfortable with the idea, perhaps?

Comment

@Cucoo

Maybe.

It would give everyone a sort of familiarity with each other.
                      Originally posted by S121
                      Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                      sigpic

Comment

I would join in on that. But maybe at a later date when I've gotten to know everyone.
                        Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

Very interesting to see different views on this.

Personally I normally choose one special idea or emotion and pick a avatar that reflects this. I don't try to reflect my whole self trough one avatar.

As for a thread for showing your face. I guess it would work, although it would mostly be for people that is not on mumble because things like that have already happen there.
                          Born in the light.
                          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                          Keep Fighting.
                          –Don't Forget.
                          Always, somewhere,
                          someone is fighting for you.
                          –As long as you remember her,
                          you are not alone.

Comment

Wait, we're not talking about the Na'vi technology?
                            sigpic
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Wait- Na'vi technology? Are you saying that we've already begun exploring Pandora? Why did no-one tell me about this? *flicks switch under desk revealing a secret compartment holding a suit of power armour* Be right back people, I'm going to Pandora!

Comment

Working...
                              X