X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Name Game

So I was reading an article on baby names like usual, when it came to me: why not analyze the naming conventions of Yukkuricraft members? This semi-serious thread will collect the good, the bad, & the ugly names that you guys can give. It is semi-serious because I may use these names in the future .

And go!
    No whatever, more Reimu!

<-----

Comment

Remilia Scarlet...

Remilia, like Marisa and Alice, is a very Western name. Probably a made-up name that sounds similar to the Japanese name Remy. Scarlet obviously is a reference to the reddish color that is of blood.
      sigpic
      Spoiler:

Comment

Remi isn't a japanese name. It's an italian one, though :P

Comment

True, but when Japan received contact from Westerners, they found Western names to be interesting, and they began naming their child in Western-like Japanese name, especially in the post-WWII era. Hence the name Marisa(魔理沙), which literally means Magic Reason Sand. Remy probably is the similar deal.

I don't know, I didn't take Etymology :/
          sigpic
          Spoiler:

Comment

For me Remilia sounds like a royal or dominant name
            Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

This thread is good so far. I've never thought about Remilia's name before. It's pretty, that's for certain. Then again, I think the name Lloyd is cool...
              No whatever, more Reimu!

Comment

Lloyd??? the one from code geass?
                How many times can you die a day~?
                How many times have you died a day~?

Comment

Originally posted by Kristia View Post
                  For me Remilia sounds like a royal or dominant name
                  this is probably to do with phonetics and a subconscious realisation of patterns in the names of upperclassmen or people in a position in power (which she herself sorta is)

as for my name, i literally went 'hina. hina kagiyama. hinahinahina. hinabanana. lol' and from there it just kind of stuck. over time, it became shortened to just 'banana', but my avatar shows the etymology of my name. i actually have about 6 different guises on the internet lol
                  beware of passive-aggressive sign language

Comment

Let me go through my history of usernames

Cucoo5 -> derived from a misspelling of Cucco and thinking there were 5 Cuccos in Kakariko Village when I played OoT when I was not even 10.
                    *This stuck for about 7 years*
                    Cicero Pennomen -> Derived from Latin *obviously* and a few other things
                    1. Cucoo5 -> CC5 -> two Cs and 5 characters +1 including the number -> Cicero
                    2. Pen Name -> was watching The Adventures of Merlin, therefore was thinking Pendragon -> *replace dragon and insert clever latin* -> Pennomen

Comment

Originally posted by Cucoo5 View Post
                      2. Pen Name -> was watching The Adventures of Merlin, therefore was thinking Pendragon -> *replace dragon and insert clever latin* -> Pennomen
                      Nomen, nomina, name.
                      I seriously want to know why I haven't seen this before. Now that I know, it's far too obvious.

The only thing I thought of was Pennomen -> pen+random "no" that you get when trying to string multiple words together with a lack of vowels+men equals
                      an army of completely identical writers sitting at some desks writing in complete sync.

Comment

Originally posted by bookdragon2000 View Post
                        Lloyd??? the one from code geass?
                        No, some other Lloyd or Lloid or Loid.
                        No whatever, more Reimu!

Comment

Originally posted by WriggleRid3r View Post
                          True, but when Japan received contact from Westerners, they found Western names to be interesting, and they began naming their child in Western-like Japanese name, especially in the post-WWII era. Hence the name Marisa(魔理沙), which literally means Magic Reason Sand. Remy probably is the similar deal.

I don't know, I didn't take Etymology :/
                          Except Marisa is a forced name that so far, I've only seen ZUN use :P I will admit that recently (past couple of years) there has been a slight increase in using western names for children in Japan, they tend to come in katakana as it's difficult to kanji-fy it. (Let's be honest,"magic reason sand" doesn't make ANY sense other than the magic part.)

Comment

Looking up Marisa reveals that there are multiple Marisa.
                            No whatever, more Reimu!

Comment

Working...
                            X