X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CISPA: What's your stand on it?

In case if you never saw it (You might have if you had Firefox; the default webpage contained a link to it), CISPA is 2 steps away from being PASSED. Not even lieing here. Google "CISPA".

Currently, it has passed the House of Reps and is on it's way to the Senates, then to the president (who then can technically veto it, but not completely stop it).

If you don't know what CISPA is, it's basically a non-"lethal" SOPA. It does not allow them to censor the internet, however it allows ANY corporate to request information on the suspected IP address and have complete logs over of what you have done on the internet.

Upon looking this up recently, they also had used the Boston Marathon bombing to get it passed as the bombers had apparently used the internet to look up information on how to make the bombs (which, though is a huge tragic and depressing event, was somewhat slimy in my eyes).

Currently, all the big-name companies (besides Google, who stated that they do support it, however, the bill needs reworking) are for this.

Now that explaining is done, what's your stand point on it? I (myself) won't change my personal opinion of you if you support it because I know that the whole objective is that they need to prevent piracy, and isn't that supposed to be a good thing?

I'll state mine:

I think this is for the right reason, but with the wrong methods.
    My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
    Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Again? It's just as vague and poorly worded as SOPA. Time to get to work....

Read it for yourself:
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3523:

Petitions:
    http://www.cispaisback.org/
    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...n-act/19sQhBpy

I'd recommend Sharing it to as many people as possible.
    Last edited by S121; 04-21-2013, 12:37 AM.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

Old geezers deciding on modern internet policies just doesn't work. If you take a bunch of homeless people and tell them to judge on a panel of world-class dancers, what the fuck do they know? Same idea.

That being said, CISPA itself is much like SOPA, except a bit less "I'm going to rape you then sell your organs on the black market" and more like "I'm only going to rape you." What I mean is, yes CISPA is better than SOPA, but when you're starting at terribad, improving isn't a terrible difficult thing to do. CISPA in and of itself is still going in the wrong direction. (Though I agree with Tenshi that the intentions are good.)

Comment

I should probably clarify my position, because in reading my last post, it sounds like I'm against it simply because it's a SOPA clone.
        I understand that they are trying to do good, but they are not qualified to make that decision. Legally yes, but knowledge wise, no.
        They don't have the knowledge required to make a good decision.

It's like trying to fix a space shuttle, except the ones fixing it have no knowledge of it's inner workings. They'll simply do more harm than good.
        It seems as if they are trying to find a quick fix for internet security, and to some extent, piracy.

On the internet, it is important to remain as invisible as possible. There is a slew of viruses, spyware, phishing, and many more things that can rape your computer.
        Giving out or even recording peoples' information is really bad. Once there is info on what you do on the internet, so many things can happen because of it.
        Companies can use it to keep sending you ads for you to buy more useless crap that you don't want or even need.

There's also the case of hacking. There is no doubt in my mind that somebody will find where this info is hidden, and when they do, they could do a lot of damage with that info.
        The hacker now has info on where you go. They could stalk you, harass you,or more easily get your personal info.

That's why I think it's a horrible idea, that's why I'm against it.
        Originally posted by S121
        Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
        sigpic

Comment

i agree with the me gusta raven doing that will only give us more weak spots on the internet.
          also as personal though... u.s. should know that the internet does not belong to them is a different world where theres no country barriers for everyone i think that they are trying to own the internet to control it, so any law that tries to change the internet freedom is just bad for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mononobe_no_Futo View Post
            i agree with the me gusta raven doing that will only give us more weak spots on the internet.
            also as personal though... u.s. should know that the internet does not belong to them is a different world where theres no country barriers for everyone i think that they are trying to own the internet to control it, so any law that tries to change the internet freedom is just bad for everyone
            Unfortunately, the internet isn't available to everyone without barriers. Case and point, China.
            There's only a few other major countires that don't have censorship (Canada, Mexico for instance)
            My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
            Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X