X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current State of the Server (27/06/13) [Shit dun broked Update]

I have returned from my ill-timed trip, and I have some updates.

Problem:
    The power supply in the server is fried.

Bright side:
    Nothing else seems to be damaged / motherboard wasn't harmed.

Temporary solution:
    I am copying over backup files to my home pc, which will run the yukkuricraft minecraft server. Will update here when it is up.

Final solution:
    A new, better quality psu. The 600w psu comes with a 3 year warranty, and is a well-made product (our now broken psu had a shorter warranty that had actually expired right before it went kaput). It is less than $60 with amazon prime, which will be more than covered by what fund we still have from donations.

I apologize for these problems, they have come at an inopportune time, to say the least. Hopefully the temporary solution will do for the time being, while we wait for the new power supply.

Tl;dr... It'll be up soon right?
    sigpic
    Spoiler:

Comment

You call that amount of text too long? Y-you're kidding right?

Comment

Thank god, Alex. At least we know the server isn't dead.
        Gensokyo's Loudest Monk

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
          I have returned from my ill-timed trip, and I have some updates.

Problem:
          The power supply in the server is fried.

Bright side:
          Nothing else seems to be damaged / motherboard wasn't harmed.

Temporary solution:
          I am copying over backup files to my home pc, which will run the yukkuricraft minecraft server. Will update here when it is up.

Final solution:
          A new, better quality psu. The 600w psu comes with a 3 year warranty, and is a well-made product (our now broken psu had a shorter warranty that had actually expired right before it went kaput). It is less than $60 with amazon prime, which will be more than covered by what fund we still have from donations.

I apologize for these problems, they have come at an inopportune time, to say the least. Hopefully the temporary solution will do for the time being, while we wait for the new power supply.
          I believe we should be thanking you for providing us a with a server :3
          And is it really fine to run it off a home PC?

Originally posted by Lunasa Prismriver View Post
          You call that amount of text too long? Y-you're kidding right?
          Welcome to the 21st century, where 1 line of text is too long.
          tl;dr: 21st century, 1 line 2 long 5 u.
          My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
          Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

Corsair is good stuff.
            And with 80+ gold certificate, it shouldnt fry on its own.

Im cruious on what you had before? 8D
            I pretend I scorerun games.

Comment

600W for a server box?
              Last edited by Worstcase; 06-27-2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Remember, the hardware's at least two years old and we only had about a $500-600 budget to work with when we first bought the thing.

Comment

And I thought 1000W was low...

Comment

Originally posted by Sodamachine View Post
                    Im cruious on what you had before? 8D
                    We we using a 460W psu from a brand that claimed to be a master of cooling.

Originally posted by Tenko View Post
                    And is it really fine to run it off a home PC?
                    Yep, I've got a virtual machine set up on my pc, and hooked up all the peripherals/hds that are needed .

Originally posted by Worstcase View Post
                    600W for a server box?
                    It is a lot, but it's a safeguard for futures upgrades. We may even wind up getting one of AMD's 200W TDP monster cpus xD.

Originally posted by LiShengshun View Post
                    And I thought 1000W was low...
                    Keep in mind that there is no GPU in the hardware, which tends to be to most power hungry component in PCs. On that note, I can run 2 (3) 7950s on a 850w psu, so great power isn't always needed.

An update for the server:
                    Last night, Remi and I verified the restored backups were up to date and working, after finishing installing all required software at around 5am EST. When Remi finishes tweaking the configuration, he will start the server and announce that it is back up.

Comment

Sweet, can't wait for the server to be back on.
                      "Shut your talk-hole, bookah. Every time you open it, you drip stupid all over my floor."

Comment

Fried Power Supply? Fried + Power Supply (Banana Potassium Supply) = Fried Banana Chips <3
                        My eyes will stare into your soul.
                        My heart will purify the darkness in your heart.
                        My hands will comfort you dearly.
                        My love is never ending. <3

Comment

Alex, LiShengshun is making a reference to To Aru Majutsu no Index. The avatar is of Misaka Mikoto, esper with the ability of electricity.
                          Li, toaru is awesome, but this is Touhou, you don't belo- nevermind, Touhou crosses over with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunasa Prismriver View Post
                            Alex, LiShengshun is making a reference to To Aru Majutsu no Index. The avatar is of Misaka Mikoto, esper with the ability of electricity.
                            Li, toaru is awesome, but this is Touhou, you don't belo- nevermind, Touhou crosses over with everything.
                            Ah, gotcha. I've seen Index, but not for quite a while. That reminds me, people have been trying to get me to watch Railgun... xD.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                              Ah, gotcha. I've seen Index, but not for quite a while. That reminds me, people have been trying to get me to watch Railgun... xD.
                              HEY THERE MAN, I HEARD THERE ARE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE TRYING TO MAKE YOU WATCH? HMMMM?????? xD

Comment

Working...
                              X