X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gensokyo is almost done. What's next?

This is a compilation of ideas Ive had over the past few weeks and is purely debatable.

Well, we've come to a point where Gensokyo is in its final stages of completion (for now), and Ive brought it to my own attention that there may not be too much left to work on. But with that, Ive constructed sort of an idea as to where we could go from here. Back when minecraft was just classic, most servers existed solely for building purposes and not much else, which paved the way for a lot of them to have very creative ways on how they went about making fun and entertaining maps while still making it public.

A few friends and I went to the D3 servers, which had several showcase maps that would be added upon by regulars and guests alike. How they went about doing this was setting up a small location on the map that would be wiped every few weeks. Within that space, new people wanting to add to the map would have to go through a preliminary run by building something nice, a mod/builder/ect would check the build once it was done, and allow them access to the rest of the map.

This was sort of the idea I had, but let me tweak it so that it may fit with the more current minecraft and the standards of the yukkuricraft server.

Things would be ported in from the smaller building space rather than leaving it up to them once they've been approved after one build. The maps were cool on D3, but they never contracted themselves to a particular theme for each map; One map was in a desert, yea, but I don't think Rainbow road would necessarily be appropriate for the Mojave.

Lets continue using the Mojave as an example for this. For every map that has a theme, we would have buildings pre-made within the map itself to encourage people to build within those architectural guidelines, such as a saloon, Fallout: New Vegas-ish buildings, so on and so forth.

Most of the builds on maps would be buildings and objects. pls no sprites ):

Who gets access to the entire maps? Those we can trust to follow architectural guidelines to make the maps pretty; Elders and up. This gives the Elder rank something to work toward, and not necessarily pull apart what the Elder rank currently is about. Being able to follow the themes and work with the other buildings on the map really requires a bit of cooperation with everyone else on the server. Because I'll admit, I could go on and on about how these maps could work for the server, and there would still be miscommunication among people regarding these maps. Not everyone would be reading this, either, hence the reason why I feel that only elders and up should have full access to these maps.

If you guys do end up liking this idea, I was thinking start up a preliminary map first, something small for people to fill up quickly. If it works, we could perhaps open up possibilities for other maps.
    Last edited by jrOc; 09-22-2013, 08:31 PM.

Minigames.
    MINIGAMES.
    *slams desk*
    MINIGAMES!!!

*cough* anyway in all fairness/seriousness/legitness/wateverness I've been talking this over with Remi.
    And I think the best analogy I had for this whole thing is: Mario Party gone Touhou. A festival themed version of Gensokyo with various Minigames at each location, such as a capture the flag at Kappa Valley, a Dungeon Raid thing at the SDM, a Ghost Busters at Poltergeist Mansion, Boat Race along the river starting at Moriya, and so on.

I'm currently working on editing the... uhm ... release file in my own simulation server thatnoonecanaccessbecausecollegewifi
    So...ya. The idea is good and there's that. so...ya...again...

P.S. I am not obsessed with this minigame concept. Just...very determinedly motivated.
    Last edited by Cucoo5; 09-22-2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Maybe locations from fangames would be cool to have, like the big plum tree from Mystical Power Plant or the planetoid Pluto from The Last Comer. I apologize for being new and throwing these thoughts out already.

I'm sorry, this doesn't seem like the type of thread for this idea. Do you know which thread's the one I can suggest things in?
      Last edited by Barabba; 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM.
      We must always remember those who work hard so that we may take it easy.

Comment

@Barabba

Well that's the right idea to put into the map that jrOc is proposing here.
        ---------------------------------
        And I just realized...

The idea of a "Creative flats for buildings of a particular theme" sounds overall a good way to attract more people to help contribute things. I honestly don't see too many downsides...
        Just don't make it elitist, inner circle only, kinda hits my one nerve kinda funny...but nonetheless I agree that it does need to be limited in that regard.

Anyway maybe I interpreted what ya meant wrong and it's the "permanent" maps that get things imported into that can only be edited by elders and up? And then there's the "creative flats with building themes" that could then possibly be edited by anyone?

...and at this point I'm about to shoot myself again and shut up before I say anything else cause I feel like I'm about to blunder again...

Comment

I like this idea. It gives us elders something to contribute to the server more.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cucoo5 View Post
            @Barabba

flats
            no flats. make the area around the buildings pretty. Terraforming.

Comment

@jrOc

ah so then would it be a random map or would terraforming have to be done by hand?
              I'm curious, which means I'm very interested...which can be deemed a good thing...to a point.

Comment

I think we'll need to discuss this sort of thing eithe rin a dedicated staff meeting or discuss it preliminarily in the next general staff meeting. I don't want to do something big like this too quickly without much prior thought and would definitely prefer we take it slow with plenty of planning. Big projects with little planning hardly ever work out.

That being said, Cuckoo, I am starting to seriously consider the minigame map with the additions of fun minigames.

Comment

Right
                  And I'll try to rig up a quick beta map for a demo.
                  ...I think I said that before somewhere >w>;

Comment

Danmaku plugin. Not sure how to go do this, though. Modified gun plugin?

Comment

Working...
                    X