X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Inactivity

As you all probably not know, a State of Emergency has been declared across the entire Blue Mountains region because of our annual summertime bushfire festival.

Look at it here.

But in all seriousness, there is bad news and good news

The bad news is that there are currently 59 fires across the region, and 19 of them are currently uncontrollable because of their size/intensity/whatever and some are already approaching the outer fringes of Sydney. Additionally, temperatures are expected to hit 35C today (95F) and the light rain that fell yesterday only worsened conditions because now all our fire trucks are stuck in mid and stuff, so firefighters have been doing it tough for the last week or so. 4

The good news is that we literally do this every summer so we know what to do, though something on this scale hasn't really occured for a while now.

The really good news is that we've rigged up fire-defenses around the shack i.e. boarding up the windows with iron sheets, installing fire-rated sprinkler systems around the immediate vicinity so that nothing short of a volcano eruption can burn the thing and everybody feels confident enough to stay and fight the fire. Of course if it all goes to hell we're getting out of there, so just in case that does happen I'll be away for a few days depending or not if our house gets through the fire or not. Alternatively if the telephone and internet stuff gets cut I won't be able to contact anybody for a few days. Anyway, maybe I won't have to leave hopefully, so this thread may all be pointless.

Good luck with, well, life, I suppose...
    Originally posted by Mogeko
    Yummy prosciutto! Praise be to prosciutto!
    Originally posted by Lord Prosciutto
    Praise be to prosciutto.
    ..... I forgive the sin of all Mogeko.
    Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

Here's to hoping for the best.

cheers

Comment

Go beat the shit out of that fire!

In all seriousness, I hope for the best.
        "There is no such thing as coincidence, only inevitability."

Friendship is love with understanding..

Humans can change, not by coercion or intimidation, but by example...

Comment

Best of luck, Hat.
          Originally posted by S121
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

Best of luck my son.

Comment

Stay safe, Hat.
              sigpic

Comment

Okay, false alarm. Winds changed two hours ago and the fire is now heading in a different direction. No telling if it'll come back though, so we're still outside waiting.

Comment

It's like... Mokou vs Aya man.

Good luck out there.
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Go up to the fire and punch it in the balls. I'll make a man out of you.

But in all seriousness, hope that wind stays facing the other direction. Keep safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
                      Go up to the fire and punch it in the balls. I'll make a man out of you.

But in all seriousness, hope that wind stays facing the other direction. Keep safe.

Make a man out of you, you say?

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

Well, that was what I was referencing soooo xD

Comment

I think it's cool now. The fire has merged with another fire north of us and is now threatening two towns or something, but we're safe.

Comment

Working...
                          X