X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Mumble] Private rooms, bad idea or no?

I've received a lot of complaints about the recent implementing of private rooms. Some people believe that they break the community apart, and others believe that it's too much of a hassle to get permission for every single person who wants to join. If you don't attend the Mumble then don't bother posting, otherwise I'd like to hear what you guys think about private rooms and whether or not they are a good idea.

I am the one who implemented them under the recommendation of a community member, so I'll most likely be the final step in the decision-making process.

I haven't really been around to see how people use them, but I always imagined the rooms to only be used when people were having a private discussion, eg personal or otherwise sensitive. Usage of means other than aforementioned reasons would be... er, rather exclusive of other members. Might as well just talk on skype or something.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Personally i like them since i get really annoyed when i'm trying to talk to someone or play a game with them or even when i'm trying to help or receive help from them. clearly it's not tearing the game apart and people only use them now and then anyway it's not like an every day thing. And if there annoyed because their too lazy to ask to join it's their own problem. There probably in the privet room for a reason and don't want you randomly jumping in.

Comment

It simply comes down to the problem of "are they necessary"? I personally think they're a pretty silly concept, though I can see how they might be appealing at first thought. These rooms are supposed to be private, and adhere to a certain set of rules which fall strictly under the idea of being considerate of others. As to why we need special rooms in Mumble for this when, to me it seems like it should be universal, is silly. If there is an issue with Mumble etiquette then it's an issue that should be fixed by figuring out what 1) the problem(s) is/are, and 2) finding and educating the offender(s) into not doing it. Private rooms are nothing more than dancing around the problem, rather than fixing anything.

Comment

It's not all that easy to fix because the circumstances are entirely situational. Let's say two people are alone in a room, how do we know if these two people want to be alone or not? In some situations, sending text to the room won't get anything done due to those people either being 1. afk or 2. currently not able to view Mumble due to being in a game or something like that. The most efficient solution however, is also the one that contradicts the purpose of being in a room alone. This would be joining the room and asking them over voice. This would be the most likely solution to the problem, however, had these people been talking about something personal and private, you entering the room alone can be considered an invasion of privacy. Having a private room solves this, because the fact they are in the private room alone suggests they want to be alone. However this can easily be abused by people who just simply want to be away from others.

Comment

So far, I like the system. Stops mass migrations.

Comment

Yeah. I think the private rooms idea was a good choice.
              sigpic

Comment

Private rooms are a good thing. I will say that. Maybe not as many right now since we're such a small community.
                We should just have like one main game room, various misc. rooms for other things (like the LoL room and so on), not as many private rooms, and the admin rooms.

Tbh, because it is so small a community, we could get away with less being more. Of course I understand that it would be ready for a lot of people, but look at how many are on at one given point.
                anyway, that's just me.

Comment

Propose Solution:

Most of the players seeking privacy are engaged in another game (namedly Warframe or something.) Rename Private Rooms 1 ,2 ,3 etc. to Warframe Room, LoL Room, Private Business 1, Private Business 2. First two are self-explanatory: you are only allowed to enter those rooms if you are playing that game. Private Rooms will be on a first-come, first-served basis: If some people are already in the room, then obviously they are having a personal conversation and should not be disturbed.

Comment

While I do understand the idea if we are talking about a conversation don't we already have a rule that covers this? If a large amount of the people in a room want a user to leave he have to.
                    Born in the light.
                    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                    Keep Fighting.
                    –Don't Forget.
                    Always, somewhere,
                    someone is fighting for you.
                    –As long as you remember her,
                    you are not alone.

Comment

First of: This was my idea, so if you want to hate me for it go ahead.
                      Now why did I come up with it.
                      What usually happened was: 1 Room is full with people talking about stuff, sometimes crossing different subjects. Then a few of them leave to continue their own conversation. The room suddenly goes silent. People realizing that suddenly start migrating into the other room. Start from the Beginning.

Now as mentioned people could just use skype or whatever. But then there are a certain amount of people who won't be able to contact them, because they don't use it or have any other way of communication.

Basically I wanted people to be able to have privacy but not having to leave the Mumble for it.
                      This idea is incomplete due to the fact that i don't know how permissions work in Mumble.
                      If possible I'd like for the people to be able to change the names of the private room like Hat mentioned so "Outsiders" would know more what's happening inside.

I'm open to any more suggestion, ideas and complaints

Smoke Weed Everyday

Comment

Actually, you can give access to create temporary rooms (which do exist, tested it on the temp mumble), and you could name it Anything and put a description. Also, you can give permission to people that can be allowed in, via groups and setting a password. Furthermore, once everyone leaves that room, the room disappears, so it won't have the hassle of removing the room after everyone leaves.

But, this could lead to abuse. The solution would be that if the room is there for about 24 hours, the person is to be kicked. Also, make a special room so ONLY temp rooms can be created, and exempt everyone to creating temp rooms but in that room.

Comment

I was thinking of having people be kicked after a certain amount of time, yeah. Didn't know if it was possible. Last thing we need are people sitting in private rooms 100% of the time.

Comment

I think we're going about this a little too extremely. A lot of the problems with mumble could easily be solved through better communication. For example if you're in gameroom x playing game y wither person 1 and 2 and you don't want people mass migrating into the room while you're playing. you should be able to just ask them to leave. I still think privet rooms are a good idea for various reasons but we don't need more than 2 of them.

Also people in mumble if you go into a room where people are playing a game, you should be because either be joining them in game or you need help from a person in that room.

Comment

@Tewi

Exactly. We just need to communicate. As I said earlier, we have rules on this (it should really be common sense if you think about it) that help. I understand that some people might want to be left alone, but that is what I imagine the private rooms are for. We don't need any more. I can clearly remember a time when me and mamizu didn't want another person in that room. We asked him to leave and that was it. End of story. Nothing to be afraid of.

The two we have are fine so people don't have to use tempo mumble for it, but I don't think more are necessary.

I also belive we should add a Warframe room. How many are playing that game at the moment anyway?
                              Born in the light.
                              Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                              Keep Fighting.
                              –Don't Forget.
                              Always, somewhere,
                              someone is fighting for you.
                              –As long as you remember her,
                              you are not alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X