X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Item Compensation Request

As of today I am on a short vacation to a location that has a lesser and sometimes unstable internet connection. Last year when I was here, I attempted with no success to play on a Minecraft server. I didn't expect much when I attempted to connect again today, but when I first connected it appeared that my connection was fairly stable, which was verified by those online (Sakores). When I had logged out this morning (before the trip) I was in the middle of a caving expedition to gather emeralds and diamonds and the like. I didn't know how great of an idea it was to continue caving at lava level with a less than optimal connection and a significant amount of diamonds already (over half a stack, I had been pretty fortunate.. and had fortune). Despite this, I forged on and was able to make slow progress through the cave. I continued to be blessed with luck in finding diamonds and emeralds, so much so that I ended up with an even stack of diamonds and 48 emeralds by the time I was ready to head home. Towards the end of the expedition, I was getting worried because I was experiencing somewhat severe positional lag (moving then reappearing at a previous location) around lava lakes. When I went to teleport back to my storage home (named "waterfall" if this helps), I appeared about 5 or 6 blocks below where the teleport was set to (I believe the y coordinate read 81, but I'm not sure if this was showing what was actually happening server side or just what I saw on my lagged client) which happened to be in solid stone. At first I just waited thinking that it would be a normal(ish) teleport where the client would show falling until the terrain loaded in. However, once that did not happen, I began to try and dig myself out and up. I dug upwards (on the client) and then pillared to the correct home location with cobblestone. At this point I was somewhat worried because I was carrying so many valuables and the blocks that I had dug to get out hadn't dropped items, a normal sign of lag. I then went to try and stow my valuables, but I was lagged out and so could not open chests. I don't remember exactly what happened next as I attempted connecting and restarting a lot of times. I think that after a re-log or two I got a death message that I had suffocated in a wall. When I went to try and get my stuff back (after re-logging again), I saw it all on the ground above where I had dug up, but was unable to collect it. At this point I just tried reconnecting over and over to try in vain to establish a stable connection and reclaim my items. In hindsight I probably should have just logged off and waited until I had a stable connection (was at home IRL) to recollect my items as they wouldn't have despawned unless someone loaded those chunks. I, however, didn't do this, and remained in the area long enough so that they very likely despawned.

Now we finally get to the purpose of this thread: I hope to obtain some sort of compensation for the items I lost as a result of my glitch death. If you (Remi, I guess) choose to lay the blame for my death on me for even attempting to play with such a poor connection and/or not waiting until a better time to recover my items then I fully accept that. If you are able, as I think you will be, to see the time between when I teleported to my home ("/home w") and when I suffocated in the wall there will probably be a very short gap between them, which would be odd. Here is a list of the valuable items that I remember (to the best of my ability) that I had at the time of my death:
    • 64 diamonds
    • 48 emeralds
    • about 53 gold ore
    • 23 blocks of lapis
    • 64 blocks of redstone
    • 2 stacks and around 43 iron ore
    • a power IV enchanted book
    • around a stack and 15 mossy cobblestone
    • a fairly unused diamond pickaxe with unbreaking 3 (probably around 3 or 4 stages of decay in from full green)
    • a more used diamond pickaxe with unbreaking 3, efficiency 4, and fortune 3 (I'd guess around 7 or 8 stages in from green)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope I posted this in the right place.

Pillow/Salt

Why were you playing with lag in the first place :-/

I'll compensate half of the items/blocks. Choose one or the other between the picks. I'll give you a power III book.

If I'm not on, you can ask one of the mods to compensate you.

Comment

That sounds great, I probably won't be back on until the weekend (because of lag and all). I thought that the lag wasn't that bad, but I guess the connection fluctuated more than I had expected : /
      I guess this was the right place to post this, the only other place I had thought might be appropriate was the bug report/feature topic but a quick look suggested that that wasn't what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
      X