X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Anti Virus" Fraud pop-up

Just a heads up, but there's one of those infamous pop-ups affecting the forums

the ones that say something along the lines of "Microsoft Anti Virus has detected these viruses on your computer and it needs to be cleaned"

For those that never saw these before: close down the window immediately

use like ctrl-alt-del to close the window
    and just for paranoia's sake: perform a scan.

or use adblock plus and not worry about it altogether

Comment

Are you sure they were our ads? Google adsense doesn't allow popup ads of any kind.

Comment

@ Remi

I don't think it was an ad.

it was a "pop-up that then leads to entire window turning into a fake virus scan result saying "Trojan ___ has been detected" and so on so forth.

Idk what it technically is, I just know it's more along the lines of like...hax or something from what I say it is.

I mean, ya there's those ads that are blantant lies, but this was the more "convincing type"

I've seen it a few times in my lifetime on the internet (last time I saw it was like....3 years ago)

It's rare...but when I got hit with it 3 times in a row after loging in here, I was worried for the peeps that aren't as savvy with things so I just warned that it happened here.

EDIT
        In a sense it's like a phishing thing but...bit more...eh...
        I really don't know the technical terms but all I know is that it affects a site for like an hour or two (as though someone was hacking) and then it disappears...
        Last edited by Cucoo5; 02-01-2014, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cucoo5 View Post
          @ Remi

I don't think it was an ad.

it was a "pop-up that then leads to entire window turning into a fake virus scan result saying "Trojan ___ has been detected" and so on so forth.

Idk what it technically is, I just know it's more along the lines of like...hax or something from what I say it is.

I mean, ya there's those ads that are blantant lies, but this was the more "convincing type"

I've seen it a few times in my lifetime on the internet (last time I saw it was like....3 years ago)

It's rare...but when I got hit with it 3 times in a row after loging in here, I was worried for the peeps that aren't as savvy with things so I just warned that it happened here.

EDIT
          In a sense it's like a phishing thing but...bit more...eh...
          I really don't know the technical terms but all I know is that it affects a site for like an hour or two (as though someone was hacking) and then it disappears...
          Going to have to say that this is an ad. It's likely one of those swf ads.
          My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
          Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

So it is technically an ad? geez...

so it must of gotten through Google adsense then...
            ...ok that makes sense.

Still kinda freaked me out that it showed up here...

oh wait...
            =w= if it's...
            oh geez...

anyway I guess this can just serve as a warning for those not familiar with em should it ever appear again.

Comment

Either way this couldn't have originated from our site. We have literally nothing on our server except ads other than default vbulletin, and again google adsense does not allow popup ads.

Comment

right

but still, it got through, so far I think I was the only one that noticed it, and I think it slipped past w/e preventative means Google adsense has.

unless there's another way it could have gotten through.

Comment

No, I mean google adsense does not accept popup ads. Ads are listed by google after they apply.

Comment

So if that's not how it got through...

Then how did it get here?

Comment

Some sort of virus on you computer? I've had that before a few years ago.
                      Born in the light.
                      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                      Keep Fighting.
                      –Don't Forget.
                      Always, somewhere,
                      someone is fighting for you.
                      –As long as you remember her,
                      you are not alone.

Comment

I've had the same thing in the past on my old computer, It could have been either, (couldn't tell cause my computer had like, every virus) It could even be like, the internet browser itself. I think....
                        My computer actually died a few weeks after it happened, so i never really found out what it was

Edit: Here's a website that describes what they are or what not :
                        http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/.../itemId/749494

Comment

Probably another site you visited.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "how did it get there" since I'm telling you it did not come from http://yukkuricraft.net

Comment

At this point I'm just trying to understand how it could have happened.

and I guess seeking that answer is futile as it's impossible to really tell how it happened.

But the fact I got hit with it three times in a row after I scanned for anything after each just kinda makes me paranoid.

Comment

Working...
                              X