X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name changing

Name changing has finally become a reality!!!
    I'm posting this to warn everyone though.
    Changing your name on minecraft may come with some unwanted consequences:
    •Locks: For some reason, some chests and doors that you locked may not be opened by you;
    •Ontime: your ontime WILL be set back to 0 if you get a new username;
    •Homes: all your /homes will be gone;

Do take notice:
    If you change your username, you will be unable to change it again for 30 days.
    Your old username is also locked for 37 days (nobody can pick it during that time).
    Last edited by 99465; 02-06-2015, 03:04 PM.
    Originally posted by Mogeko
    Yummy prosciutto! Praise be to prosciutto!
    Originally posted by Lord Prosciutto
    Praise be to prosciutto.
    ..... I forgive the sin of all Mogeko.
    Release the Yukkuri:

Warning taken.

But there's a simple explanation as to why this is the case. It's due to name-handling and interpretation of names in Minecraft. In the latter versions of 1.7 and in 1.8, players are no longer referred to by username and instead are referred to by a constant and unique player ID. This means that servers can ban players and give specific attributes to other players without any worry of those players changing names. If this ID system were not in place, cheaters and morons could easily change their name to avoid bans (although it won't grant them IP ban immunity).

Since we are basically using 1.7 plugins in 1.8, some plugins including our locks and ontime counter will still be using usernames as player identification instead of their player ID. This means that anyone who has recently changed their name will not be recognised by these plugins and instead have new data assigned to them. (Data for 99465 still exists but it hasn't transferred to Leon_99465).

A simple fix to the lock problem, for those who have alternate accounts, is to grant admin rights to your alts for all your chests and locked content. That way, your alts can grant you access to your stuff again once you change your name.
    For those who don't have alts, you will have to consult a staff member to unlock all your content so that you may re-lock it in your new name. You can also grant admin rights to a middleman but this is a very risky move and should not be practised unless you highly trust said middleman.

(Also, Tenshi, Mad, and co., sorry if I highly butchered the explanation or got something wrong. But it's the only simple explanation that I know to this problem.)
    Last edited by Luna Pixu; 02-04-2015, 11:55 AM.
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Originally posted by TRXD View Post
      Since we basically using 1.7 plugins in 1.8, some plugins including our locks and ontime counter will still be using usernames as player identification instead of their ID. This means that anyone who has recently changed their name will not be recognised by these plugins and instead have new data assigned to them. (Data for 99465 still exists but it hasn't transferred to Leon_99465).
      You are only half correct about that part.
      Some of my locks DID actually switch over to Leon_99465. Mostly the recently locked things.
      Praise be to prosciutto.
      Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

How does one name change?

Comment

So 99465 will be 99466?

Comment

Ch-ch-ch-ch-Changes!

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclearblt View Post
              How does one name change?
              Quoting the Mojang support website:
              Originally posted by Mojang
              Can I change my username?
              Starting February 4th, you will be able to change a Minecraft username (this includes editing capitalization). If you sign in with your email, this feature will be available to you. If you sign in with your username, you'll need to migrate to a Mojang account. Usernames can be changed at account.mojang.com/me; just click the "change" link next to your name.
              Originally posted by Yukkurirumia View Post
              So 99465 will be 99466?
              How did u know!? Nah, I'm now Leon_99465.
              Praise be to prosciutto.
              Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

Working...
              X