X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DONE]Proposal for New Chat System Catering to RPers

So I used to use a plugin for chat management called HeroChat and was thinking of switching back to it. There are several points of interest I should note, however.

If you do not intend to ever RP, this shouldn't matter too much to you.

First, I'm thinking of configuring things so that when you join an RP channel, it will make you leave the global channel by default so you only receive messages from the RP channels. If you so wish to, you can connect to the global channel again, but by default you'll only be "listening" to the channel. You will be able to see the chat, but not speak in it unless you specifically choose to do so (covered later)

Second, the "shouting" feature. I'm thinking of adding in a pseudo-command that will basically force you to join two channels at once. The way HeroChat works, you can be in multiple "channels" to listen into, but can only speak in one of them. With the command replacement plugin we use, I could make it so upon typing something like "/chat rp" you will be moved from global to the "RP proximity" channel and the "RP shout" channel. In here, by default, you will be "focused" into the proximity channel. The channel you're "focused" into is the channel you'll be sending messages to. (Remember, you can be in multiple channels to listen, but only chat to one of them) Upon typing something like "/ooc <message>" it'll automatically be broadcasted to the "RP shout" channel so anyone RPing can see the message. If you want to leave the RP channel, I'll add a command something along the lines of "/chat global" and you'll be removed from the two RP channels and moved back into global if you aren't in there already.

Example commands and what they would probably do: (Example. Not definite)

/chat rp - Add you to the two RP channels and remove you from global. The two channels would be "RP Proximity" where only people within x radius will see your messages and the other one will be "RP Global" where you will send your "shout" messages to.

/chat global - Remove you from the two RP channels and add you back to global.

/join global - adds global back your channels, but keeps your default messaging to "RP proximity"

/join rp -This will do the same as above, but your default messaging will go to global and not RP. I don't really know why you would do this, but I'll leave it here just in case. Remember, you still won't be able to see any messages unless you're within proximity or someone does a shout.

/shout <msg> or /ooc <msg> - This will send your messages to the "RP Shout" channel.

/shoutat <global|rp> <msg> -This will broadcast your message to the appropriate channel depending on whether you use global or rp as your argument. If you use rp as your arg, it will message "RP Shout" and not "RP Proximity"

Notes:

All three channels will have their own prefix. Global will most likely have an unobtrusive [G] at the beginning while "RP Proximity" will probably have [RP] and "RP Shout" will have [Shout].

If anything is confusing/needs more features/etc, make sure to tell me. I'm trying to get a rather solid idea of what I'm going to be adding specifically before actually doing it.

An admin that is suggesting ideas for the community to decide rather them himself. God I love this server.

Anyways, I do vote for it. We really should have a separate chat for RPers, so they don't get confused.
    The only problem I have with this is if we have to contact someone inside of a channel.
    My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
    Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

Again, you do have to go out if your way to talk to rpers but it's just a single command. It's not like it'd be impossible.

Comment

I firmly support this, Remi.

Comment

Due to overall positive and enthusiastic review, I'll try to implement this tonight at earliest. At latest, tomorrow night.

Comment

I think this is a really good idea! I support it as well.

Comment

Remi, let me just say that I am very, very sorry for (potentially) bringing this into play. I can't control myself when it comes to good RP, and when I'm interested and curious, nothing can stop me.

Comment

Nono, no need to apologize. I've been thinking about changing our current chat system for a while anyway. Need be, we can create multiple global chatrooms or the like as well in the future should a single global chat become too messy like it does on many large servers.

Comment

Going against my own rules, gonna double post here to announce that the feature has been successfully implemented and the commands available are as listed in the original post.

Comment

Working...
                  X