Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing Our (planned) Gensokyo Quest System!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Our (planned) Gensokyo Quest System!

Quests!

What better way to immerse yourself into the world of Touhou than to directly interact and work with your favorite characters through a quest system? This is still a planned feature and is not currently implemented.

Here's the rundown!

So you're wandering through Gensokyo. You see a bunch of cool builds, breathtaking mansions, etc etc. but now what? Look at it another ten times? What if instead if just walking around the Hakurei Shrine, you could help Reimu by gathering logs for her? What if Eirin needs some plants for a new medicine? Perhaps Remilia needs some fresh blood for Flan and needs you to kill some villagers? What if there's an entire Incident that's occurred and you need to help out Gensokyo's inhabitants get to the bottom of it!

The possibilities are endless!

So what happens after you do quests? Well you get rewarded!
    With rewards, you'll earn in-game currency which you could use to buy hard-to-find items in survival or maybe buy a nickname for when RPing! There are tons of other in-game perks that can be added!

But at the end of the day, what we're going for is immersion! This is a touhou server and we've got the builds and playerbase. Now we just need that extra mile to make the experience just that much more enjoyable!

Stay tuned! I'll post updates as things happen!
    Last edited by Shiteyanyo1; 02-24-2013, 04:23 AM.

A possible suggestion: Forced survival mode for the duration of the quest (until you finish, fail, or just give up) This also means disabling all warps.

This is idea is both good and bad. A common feature in many quests is the sense that you must finish the quest with your own skills. Many quests can be quite easily done with the usage of creative mode and flying that you have access to in the Gensokyo world. This means walking to all places, finding paths and routes that a normal human must take without the power of flight. This accentuates the idea of discovering Gensokyo and finding the hidden secrets that lie within. However, this idea is also a common hated feature of questing. Many RPGs have the ability of warping to major places, easily cutting off the time that people feel is wasted when walking between areas. As Gensokyo is a very big world, it will take ages for anyone to walk to places.

A possible option is to split every quest into a couple varying difficulties
    Easy - Creative/flying and warps are activated.
    Normal -Creative/flying activated. Warps are deactivated.
    Hard - Creative/flying and warps deactivated.
    Lunatic - Creative/flying and warps deactivated. Time limited.
    For Hard and Lunatic, various "save points" can be strewn throughout Gensokyo to ease the burden of death.
    Extra - A copy of the Gensokyo world set with mobs on. Same as Lunatic, but with one life only. If you die, you must restart the whole thing over.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeyjay View Post
      A possible suggestion: Forced survival mode for the duration of the quest (until you finish, fail, or just give up) This also means disabling all warps.

This is idea is both good and bad. A common feature in many quests is the sense that you must finish the quest with your own skills. Many quests can be quite easily done with the usage of creative mode and flying that you have access to in the Gensokyo world. This means walking to all places, finding paths and routes that a normal human must take without the power of flight. This accentuates the idea of discovering Gensokyo and finding the hidden secrets that lie within. However, this idea is also a common hated feature of questing. Many RPGs have the ability of warping to major places, easily cutting off the time that people feel is wasted when walking between areas. As Gensokyo is a very big world, it will take ages for anyone to walk to places.

A possible option is to split every quest into a couple varying difficulties
      Easy - Creative/flying and warps are activated.
      Normal -Creative/flying activated. Warps are deactivated.
      Hard - Creative/flying and warps deactivated.
      Lunatic - Creative/flying and warps deactivated. Time limited.
      For Hard and Lunatic, various "save points" can be strewn throughout Gensokyo to ease the burden of death.
      Extra - A copy of the Gensokyo world set with mobs on. Same as Lunatic, but with one life only. If you die, you must restart the whole thing over.
      Phantasm should be Extra, but you cannot break any blocks and cannot have any other tools to assist.
      My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
      Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

If you are going to be gathering logs and such would that then allow people to break logs dirt or whatever in gensokyo? or would they need to go to survival to do that?

Comment

I like where JayJay is getting at, I however, have the idea of ONLY walking/sprinting; Quests should be taken seriously. You are a human in gensokyo and you are taking on a HUGE responsibility. I think that preset maps should be given to you, with only the right path. I'm not sure, but I think A staff member could travel the route and have the map only be marked from start to finish. Once the staff member have the map done, save it to the server and have it given to you by the server or the npc or whatever.
          Of course this doesn't apply to places where you are supposed to be lost I.e. forest of magic.

Another thing is that easy and medium quests should supply the player with food. This will allow the player to sprint across gensokyo. Perhaps on easy modo a single speed potion could be given to you as well.

Comment

Well I think some harder quests will allow flying and we can BS a reason like Reimu used h4x powerz or something. As far as the survival only quests with food, I definitely agree and I can easily do that with the NPCs. As far as entirely separate areas for quests, it's probably not practical but there are plugins I can use to work around it.

Comment

Reimu made you an honorary shrine maiden temporarily and gave you some miko powers.

What about the idea about saving a map of the quest to the server.

Comment

mahjarrat pls

Comment

Originally posted by e1o2gamma View Post
                  Reimu made you an honorary shrine maiden temporarily and gave you some miko powers.

What about the idea about saving a map of the quest to the server.
                  saving a map of the quest to waht. The quests will take place in PermaGensokyo or whatever other world is relevant. There won't be any other map devoted to questing as it's not practical or even possible with hardware limitations, probably. We already have a dozen worlds loaded.

Comment

Going off the theme of touhou a bit, and giving the players the unique ability to side with their favorite characters, what if once a month there was a mass quest where the people who side with a certain character got to fight others who sided with other certain characters over a certain item etc. Just a thought as of now, still thinking things out as to how more could be added
                    Stance still like the world on pause
                    Eased breath of a wind pre-storm
                    Firm grasp, let the blade conform
                    Manifest thy will, transform
                    Become sword unsheathed, cut raw
                    Become myth turned life, real lore
                    Meet the rage on the field of war
                    But never drink of the blood that pours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amBYjM5n5Nc

Comment

Originally posted by Tysonizer View Post
                      Going off the theme of touhou a bit, and giving the players the unique ability to side with their favorite characters, what if once a month there was a mass quest where the people who side with a certain character got to fight others who sided with other certain characters over a certain item etc. Just a thought as of now, still thinking things out as to how more could be added
                      If NPCs can battle, that is.
                      sigpic
                      Spoiler:

Comment

NPC and quest plugins are currently broken ^^;

Comment

i agree with tysonizer's suggestion
                          for example: when marisa and patchouli are fighting to either recover a rare/powerful book or try to obtain the book from the one party ie patchouli has the book in her library, so people who side with marisa will try to break in while those who side with patchy will defend, like capture the flag

anyway, one thing that can add a twist is that since it is a mass quest, many quest from different characters will be going on at once, so different quest can accidentally or intendedly affect each other
                          How many times can you die a day~?
                          How many times have you died a day~?

Comment

Originally posted by Tysonizer View Post
                            Sakuya VS Yumeko
                            Knives VS Swords
                            PADS VS Natural

May the strongest fetish win.

Comment

Originally posted by Cucoo5 View Post
                              PADS VS Natural
                              *reads 2 years later* diepls

Comment

Working...
                              X