Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official Touhou Translations?

Yesterday, ZUN tweeted out this:

http://gyazo.com/6a7e58cbc63b0480fde4052f8afc591a

Along with a little teaser image for a translated config menu for Touhou 14:

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HB...n43Ji4wpYsppfY

This, of course, has been picked up by certain news sources and been discussed as "Official English Touhou Teased?" and such. This has already been talked about on @SHMUPS and has even got its own little article on Crunchyroll.

I have actually talked about this little piece of news on Twitter and even talked to the guys on TouhouPatch and it seems like this might be the real deal. Of course, I myself am a bit skeptical and am just assuming that ZUN is merely running a fan translation. But then again, I can't speak/read a lick of Japanese so I don't know. And let's not forget the fact that I've played very little of the new Touhou games so I can't really compare this to current fan translations. I don't know... Maybe Touhou 13 burned me out with its disinteresting characters and concepts? I'm not sure at all.

What do you guys think? You happy to see ZUN maybe working on translating his games and reaching out to western fans? Or are you going to wait until more is revealed? (That or Remi simply translates the darn tweets)
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Hmmmm... I am very excited, but I'm not letting myself get too excited in case this means nothing. Although I do remember him talking about Steam...
    No whatever, more Reimu!

Comment

@Jacobus
      Now I'm suddenly thinking of getting Touhou items in TF2 for buying a Touhou game on Steam... Which I already am doing by simply renaming and remodeling things in TF2. Like the Law hat in TF2. While I have yet to acquire one, I like to think of it as Shikieiki's hat. And in the same vein, I sometimes think of the Equalizer as being Shikieiki's Rod of Remorse.

But we can't jump to massive conclusions over anything yet. Right now, all I'm thinking is that ZUN is just going to launch these translated Touhou games at certain conventions similar to how he already does it. While I doubt he would do them at certain events, it would be interesting to see him turn up to western Touhou or Touhou-friendly cons to release them. Of course, this is assuming that this is a confirmed thing. Until we get more info, we can't truly know.
      Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
      My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
      My NNID: OfficialTRXD
      Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

I agree that it might be jumping the gun to say "Western release confirmed!". That said, it would be nice if it were to happen. I know a number of people that simply aren't interested in fan translated anything. They want an official product. Moreover, having the games on a main market would mean introducing them to players who, because the versions that they could play were previously to be found only on fansites they would never see, otherwise might never have found the series. I think that would be very cool...if it happens.

Comment

Working...
        X