X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yoshimo's Music Dump

I'm super tired and probably making an irrational decision. Let's do this.

I've been wanting to share my music sequences for a while now, but I've been struggling to find a way that isn't spam-like and doesn't come off as self-advertisement. I decided it would be best to make a thread containing my sequences.

All of my sequences are based on an existing Touhou song; none of them are my original compositions. I can say that I was the one who worked to place all of the notes and property adjustments to create the sequence, ergo, I didn't just take a MIDI from online and apply different instruments.

I currently have made eight sequences in total. The first four are in General MIDI; the rest are sequenced with instruments from Banjo-Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing. I acquired these instruments by using other tools to rip the instruments from the ROMs and put them into SF2 files. Ripping the instruments does not include their sound envelope; I had to look at parameters and translate them into the sound envelope myself.

I'm not using embeds as I'm not sure how people would like several YouTube embeds loading on one page.
    Please let me know if a link is incorrect!

[General MIDI] Alice Maestra (Stage 4 - TH04)
    The first and my least favorite. It really does sound like the first one I ever made.

[General MIDI] Vanishing Dream ~ Lost Dream (Kana Anaberal - TH03)
    I was very proud of this one when I was finished with it. Looking back, there are flaws in instrument balance and choice, but it still sounds pleasant for the most part.

[General MIDI] Alice in Wonderland (Extra Stage - TH05)
    I never did like this one as much as Vanishing Dream, but now I'm more fond of it. This song taught me that I don't need to be exact to have good sound.

[General MIDI] The Call of the Nephilim (Stage 3 - Mystical Power Plant)
    I feel this was a suitable end to my days using General MIDI to make my sequences. Unfortunately, the synthesizer on my computer couldn't handle it, so some instrument imbalance occurred... This is my favorite out of the General MIDI sequences.

After my time making sequences in General MIDI, I began thinking of alternative titles for my sequences. You could think of this similar to how Night of Nights is just a name for the remix of Flowering Night.

Lucid Magic (Stage 1 - TH04) Witching Dream
    For my first sequence outside of General MIDI, I didn't do that bad. I personally really like the sequence, I would only change some of the instruments.

Homesick Waves of the Roaring Calm (Stage 6 - TH15) The Sea where the Home Planet is Reflected
    My only gripe here is the bass is too loud. This was the first song where I attempted to use reverb to my advantage. It splendidly worked.

Unimaginable Terrors of an Undiscovered Land (Stage 7 - TH15) A Never-Before-Seen World of Nightmares
    This is my current favorite of all my sequences. I did one take and hated it in the end, so I made another (this one). I am very proud of the amount of effort I put into balancing instruments and mostly just letting myself control the original song rather than letting it control me.
    Side note: Yes, it's Stage 7. Touhou 15 calls it Stage 7, not Extra Stage.

Turnback Sword (Hell Levels 11-14 - TH01) Blade of Banishment
    Rather than basing from the version from Akyu's Untouched Score, Vol. 5, I sought the original. It's vastly different. Its simplicity made for a simple song to make as a sort of cool-down from Unimaginable Terrors.

Inert Winds of the Summer Moon (Stage 1 - Shining Shooting Star) A Peaceful Summer Night's Breeze
    This fangame recently caught my attention (only a day after its release!), and its music is very fitting. What better way to appreciate its music than making a sequence of it!

?????????????? Expression (??????????????? - TH0?) ?????????????????????????
    This is the sequence on which I am currently working. You get limited information. I'll try to remember to reveal more info as I get closer to finishing.
    Also, this sequence is killing me on the inside. I'm mainly doing it for a friend, but I'm not a fan of the song...
    Last edited by yoshimo; 07-04-2016, 06:42 AM. Reason: Added information to my current sequence.
    An accurate time lapse of someone joining YukkuriCraft over the course of a month.

Update: Added a new planned sequence.

Inert Winds of the Summer Moon (Stage 1 - Shining Shooting Star) A Peaceful Summer Night's Breeze
    This fangame recently caught my attention (only a day after its release!), and its music is very sweet and somewhat simple. What better way to appreciate its music than making a sequence of it!
    This is my current project, and I intend to be public about it. I will stream myself sequencing it; something I generally don't do. You can try to catch me at my twitch channel. (See OP for link to channel)

I also want to say now that I am not going to treat this thread as my personal blog and always post when I go live on Twitch. If you wish to watch me stream, that's on you to catch me when I'm streaming. Archives will be available if you are interested.
    With that said, I do plan to stream shortly after posting this.

EDIT: Can a staff member let me know if this falls under unwarranted solicitation?
    Last edited by yoshimo; 06-12-2016, 08:05 AM. Reason: Added a request.
    An accurate time lapse of someone joining YukkuriCraft over the course of a month.

Comment

Update: Finished a sequence. Added a link to its video.

This fangame recently caught my attention (only a day after its release!), and its music is very fitting. What better way to appreciate its music than making a sequence of it!

Check the OP for the link.

Comment

Working...
      X