Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Achievement Get: Fill 1TB HDD

700gb belongs to just anime.
    The other 300gb... I don't know tbh :^)

Attempting to compress it with Window's compression thingy; I couldn't get 7zip to compress because it kept crashing due to out-of-space.
    My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
    Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

Ever heard of that thing called deletion? It's really useful, clears away a lot of space.

There is also the possibility of external HDDs
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      someone is fighting for you.
      –As long as you remember her,
      you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
        Ever heard of that thing called deletion? It's really useful, clears away a lot of space.

There is also the possibility of external HDDs
        I tend to be extremely careful around deletion; specifically, "del" and "rm".
        It was fun talking to a VPS technician after I had accidentally done "rm -rf /"

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
        Well? Which one?

Comment

My dad is a movie maniac and he filled a 3 TB :/

Anyway, Achievement get!
          sigpic
          Spoiler:

Comment

wow. I only have used 120GB out of 298GB.
            sigpic

Comment

WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH A LARGE C:?
              WHY DO YOU PUT IMPORTANT STUFF ON C:?
              WHY WOULD YOU FILL OUT C:?

I THOUGHT YOU KNEW COMPUTERS D=
              THE HARDWARE GUY IN ME IS IN PAAAAAAIN!
              I pretend I scorerun games.

Comment

^What he said

My C drive is just a 64gb SSD for sys files. Everything else is in my 5tb of HD space. (three 1tb HDDs and one 2tb HDD) I have so many HDs that I needed to add an internal PCI express -> SATA port board lol. Ran out of SATA ports on my mobo.

Comment

my next harddrive is going to have 4tb. i'll probobly never fill it unless i forget to compress/remove the fraps videos i record

Comment

...Eh. Anything over 1tb is overkill. Only reason I got a 2tb was because I literally could not fit any more harddrives in my bay/have enough SATA ports.

Think of it this way. If you have four 1tb HDDs and one dies, you only lose 1tb of data.

Now let's say you have one 4tb... and it dies... Welp, gg no re. Goodbye all that wasted bandwidth. You're never getting it back. Also, for most people, anything over 2tb total space is absolute overkill anyway. Do you even watch animes? Only reason I filled up 3tb worth of HDDs is because I archive animes and have close to 1tb of anime alone. Then I have all my music program files which take up another 1tb and then I finally have random shit that take most of 1tb. Again, for most people you'll _NEVER_ need more than 2tb. I do _TWO_ extremely space intensive things, archiving animes and using high-end music programs and sound samples, and STILL I haven't actually "filled" even 4tb of space.

If you have the money for a 4tb, I'd advise you just get two 1tb drives for safety and spend the rest of the money on other things.

Of course, this is all null and void if you actually regularly keep backups of all your shit. (I only backup my most important files. 10gb of files at most)
                    Last edited by Remilia Scarlet; 01-10-2014, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Always have backup of important stuff.

And to add to Remis cute little text.
                      IF you are going with several small drives, backups regulary what is important, you can always put them in a RAID0 stripe for improved performance!
                      Or maybe even RAID1 for automatic "backup". But RAID1 is probably only interessting if you actually have the money for it, since it mirrors the first harddrive, and nothing more. So buying 2 1TB HDDs will result in only having 1TB with RAID1...

But now I am probably going a bit deeper than most people on this forum is even interested in going

Comment

Soda, RAID in general is too expensive for my tastes, lol. I'm a college student ffs :P

Comment

Originally posted by Tenko View Post
                          The other 300gb... I don't know tbh :^)

Attempting to compress it with Window's compression thingy; I couldn't get 7zip to compress because it kept crashing due to out-of-space.
                          Don't ever use windows compression. Grab WinDirStat and see what folders/files are taking up space and delete some.

EDIT:
                          > RAID as backup
                          > RAID 0
                          > Twice the failure rate
                          Please RAID 6 or 10 or just don't RAID. For more fun see http://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/

Comment

I dont have place for RAID6 in my M-ITX Case >_>

But I would love to have RAID61 one day, just for the overkill 8D.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
                              Don't ever use windows compression. Grab WinDirStat and see what folders/files are taking up space and delete some.

EDIT:
                              > RAID as backup
                              > RAID 0
                              > Twice the failure rate
                              Please RAID 6 or 10 or just don't RAID. For more fun see http://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/
                              Can't really delete my archived anime folder that easily :x
                              Is there a way to compress horribly compressed video files? If I recall, I used really stupid settings to get an extremely fast encoding time (e.g 5 720p episodes in 1~ minutes, or something, you get the point)

Well? Which one?

Comment

Working...
                              X