X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server is back up!

After such a long wait, the server is finally back up!

I have to apologize to you guys, this clusterfuck of horrible timing and strange bugs make the delay to get back up much longer than it should have been. For the first half of the downtime, my brother was not available to help me debug and fix things, so I had no access to the server for that time.

The reason I had no access was because the server decided it didn't like its network interfaces anymore. After a short power outage, the server stopped responding or recognizing all network connections. Luckily my brother obliged, acting as a human vnc/ssh server for several hours at a time to allow me to troubleshoot. The first suspect, faulting wiring were quickly thrown out. A faulty driver was the next suspect, but it was hard to rule this out as it turns out nothing had actually been updated. Several hours of setting changes and button mashing later, no results. We gave up on ethernet and tried out a USB wifi dongle. It wasn't even recognized, but we suspected that the drivers for this were needed to function. Next, a PCI wifi module was installed. This was recognized but didn't work either. It could enumerate the wifi networks, but not connect.

Getting ready to give up, we created some linux live usb's to boot off of. These come with every driver imaginable and run on pretty much any hardware no matter how reconfigured. Usually. Two USB drives and several different creation softwares later, no live USB would boot. After the boot menu they would all error with "usb X-1: device descriptor read/64, error -32" and "device not accepting address 4, error -32". This turned out to be just the information I needed to close 100s of other google searches and forum posts.

It led me straight to this stackexchange (what a great website) post: http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...s-in-uefi-bios. One change in the bios settings had everything working again with no problem. I can only imagine what caused this extremely nondescript and seemingly useless bios setting to change to disabled when the power went out about a week ago, but what a PITA xD.

Well that's my story. Sorry again guys. Won't ever happen again (at least this specific bug).

What a saint you and your brother are.

Comment

http://xkcd.com/349/

Comment

Yay, and not only that but the super duper rare Alex makes another appearance
        Born in the light.
        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
        Keep Fighting.
        –Don't Forget.
        Always, somewhere,
        someone is fighting for you.
        –As long as you remember her,
        you are not alone.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Server is back! \(>△<)/

Now I can get back to trolling all the children working on my next build project and recording some more Yukkuricraft Adventures!

For your efforts, Alex, and for everyone waiting; have these Three Sukusuku Hakutaku of Light.
            Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
            My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
            My NNID: OfficialTRXD
            Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Holy crap, Alex posted something!
              THE LEGEND IS ALIVE!
              My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
              Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

The bards will sing of you for many years to come.

Comment

And so the hero of the shadows saved the world of yukkuricraft once again. *plays Legend of Zelda theme*

Comment

And then the hero goes back to the shadows and vanishes into the mist of the lake
                    Sometimes you have to accept the fact that certain things will never go back to how they used to be.

Comment

Working...
                    X