X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion on Gensokyo Terrain

Alright, so the past days I have been hard at work making a proposal for what is going to be the terrain for the new Gensokyo. This thread is to be used to talk about the actual terrain of Gensokyo. While we do have a small template built in creative, it doesn't give me answers to everything I need to know, so here is a list of ideas I want feedback and thoughts on.

1. The river in Gensokyo is at the moment the worst river ever possible. It have two beginnings and no clear end. Usually a river can end in two ways. The first is that is simply dissipates in a lake. This doesn't happen too often. What most often happens is that the water goes somewhere. The idea that Cyros came up with is that the river ends in the geyser going down into SA. This feels like a much more natural end for a river than simply having it stop somewhere.

2. I need a list of all official hills and Mountains around Gensokyo. The ones I currently have in is the Mountain range around Gensokyo and the Youkai Mountain. I also have the nameless hill and the hill behind the SDM noted. Is there anything else I need to remember here?

3. How hilly do you guys want Gensokyo? At the moment it goes from Y=16 at the center to around Y=50 at the base of the mountain range (as would be realistic). I already have some hills in, but not near enough, I need to know how dense they should be, how steep they should be and how high they should be.

I'll add anything else on here if I need to. I'll post a screenshot of the current progress when I get home from school.
    Born in the light.
    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
    Keep Fighting.
    –Don't Forget.
    Always, somewhere,
    someone is fighting for you.
    –As long as you remember her,
    you are not alone.

Only reason there's a hill behind sdm atm is to fit the voile library lol

Assuming we're doing barrier blocks/putting big builds off in the corner, it won't be necessary anymore, though at the same time i feel the SDM on a flat plain would feel a bit wrong anyway. Maybe we should keep a small hill anyway so it's not some weird flat terrain. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To kind of have a congruence with that aforementioned hill, maybe the entire terrain of Gensokyo should have that bit of New England rolling hills kind of vibe.
      sigpic
      Spoiler:

Comment

Pretty sure we we planning to have some form of hills. What exactly I'm still not sure of. I could maybe just try a few things and see what happens.

Also, here are the pictures like I promised. One that just shows the height, and another bit more artistic one.

Spoiler: Gensokyo

Spoiler: Youkai Mountain

Last edited by Katrix; 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM.
        Born in the light.
        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
        Keep Fighting.
        –Don't Forget.
        Always, somewhere,
        you are not alone.

Comment

As for the river I was thinking of making it into two rivers that flow into the misty lake. One will have its source from youkai mountain, and the other from mountain streams going through the bamboo forest. This would mean that he lake would have to be in the lowest area of gensokyo.

Just a thought.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

idk if two large rivers flowing into a lake with no visible place the water is going makes geographical sense but I'm no expert so...

Comment

Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
              idk if two large rivers flowing into a lake with no visible place the water is going makes geographical sense but I'm no expert so...
              Well to me all that water flowing into the ground makes less sense, at least on the surface it can evaporate away.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River

Most important sections are the top text, topography and flow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix
                  Will you also be converting these to the Minecraft maps?
                  sigpic

Comment

@Red

No idea how far down the chain I will go with it to be honest. I might try to color in the mountains some, but most likely I'll stop there.
                    Born in the light.
                    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                    Keep Fighting.
                    –Don't Forget.
                    Always, somewhere,
                    you are not alone.

Comment

Trees I built for the new genso are located at X/Z: -616.361 ; -1806.738

Comment

Here's some prototype pictures of Youkai Mountain and other mountains

Born in the light.
                        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                        Keep Fighting.
                        –Don't Forget.
                        Always, somewhere,
                        you are not alone.

Comment

I'm guessing you used a program for the mountains/terrain

Comment

He used Blender 3D to model it and then used something else to translate that into minecraft.

Tbh I was not expecting the translation from the model to look that good. That is impressive.

Comment

'Hoh shit I think i need new pants. I haven't been this excited about a rock formation in a long time

Comment

Working...
                              X