X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over Kill?

So i was looking for a new gaming computer because i really need to buy one since the one i'm using can hardly even run minecraft smoothly. i found one i was really excited about but everyone keeps telling me that it's over powered and i wouldn't need a computer THAT good. can i get your thoughts on this?

Type: Gaming
    Processor Family: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 4.31 GHz
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7-3820
    RAM: 16 GB
    Storage Capacity (as Tested): 2120 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 CrossFire
    Primary Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Disc
    Monitor Type: None
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

By the way my goal wasa computer that could run minecraft with a 512 by 512 texturepack with shaders on extream render distance and the highest posible settings with 100+ fps while listening to music and running mumble skyp and chrome all at the same time all with no lag. to be fare i was looking for something a little overpowered XD

Dude.
    Intel Core i7-3820. isnt that Sandy Bride-E?
    Thats for socket 2011, an enthusiast socket.

and HD7950 in CrossFire?
    HD7950 is AMDs second strongest single GPU card.
    Besides, DualGPU might give you some problem with some games, due to drivers.
    And on top of that, DualGPU (and especially AMD atm) gives microstuttering, go read up on that subject.

I think you would be way better of with a Intel Core i7-3770K and overclock it if you magically need more CPU power (CPU power isnt really the bottleneck in gaming today)
    as for graphic card, get a AMD 7970 for a strong card with lots of overclocking potential (some cards can get almost 50% more performace), and the 7970 has a really good perfomance per dollar.

alternative you can go for the nVidia Geforce GTX 780, 770, or 680.
    the 680 is the "former" generation GPU, but it is still the same generation as AMDs 7000 series.
    Though nVidias 700 series is a newer "generation", it is still based of Kepler, but the performance of it is really good, though, they are priced that way.
    a GTX 780, when overclocked, can almost reach the performance of a TITAN card.

These, that I am talking about, is ofcourse high-end cards, which is waaaay more than capable of doing what you are aiming for.
    with your setup that you posted, you could run Crysis 3 with max settings, and rarely drop under 60 fps @1080p.

If you are interessted to talk more about the subject, I can contact you in mumble or something.
    I pretend I scorerun games.

Comment

Er, I have a 7950 and I literally have not found a game that can't be played on Ultimate settings... From what I've heard from various people who HAVE bought 7970s, they say it's really not worth the price jump in terms of performance. Yes, it's a bit stronger than a 7950, but they've either rarely or never even used it to its full potential and the price jump is mostly pointless. Honestly, if you're willing to BUILD the computer as opposed to getting a prebuilt one, you can get a way better customized computer for a fraction of the price basically.

If you want a prebuilt computer, what you just posted will basically play any game on max or very close to max settings at full FPS. Considering iirc I remember you saying you can't even play mc on anything past tiny or small render distance, basically anything will be an improvement, not to mention it doesn't take _THAT_ much to run MC on far render distance with a few graphical mods installed. (Esp with optifine)

So yeah. What you posted is more than capable of basically anything you'd need it for.

Comment

I'd say it's pretty overkill for what you are going to use it for.
        Personally i have a GTX 680 and just as Remi says the higher end cards can be hard to use their whole potential.
        The only time i use the whole potential of it is when I'm doing things in Blender. If you don't have a REALLY good reason to buy it then I'd say to aim a little bit down.

Oh an by the way, extreme rendering distance is pretty much useless, at least on the server. The only thing it will give you is lag.
        Running shaders and extreme at the same time is just a waste. I can't get a stable FPS with it and I doubt that others can too.
        Born in the light.
        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
        Keep Fighting.
        –Don't Forget.
        Always, somewhere,
        someone is fighting for you.
        –As long as you remember her,
        you are not alone.

Comment

Find a computer shop that builds custom computers. Tell them what you need and they'll give you whatever it is at a good price. It's best to leave these things to professionals who know what they're doing. If all you're doing is playing Minecraft 24/7, either download Optifine or run your settings at a low, comfortable notch.

You don't need something so overpowered if you're going to play Minecraft. It's like using one of NASA's computers to play solitare.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded. to answer some of your questions i don't intend to use it JUST for minecraft i would actually like to play a lot of the games i've heard about rither here on the forums or on mumble. TERA, borderlands 2, far cry 3 ect. Last night i got very excited when i found he computer i posted and i wasn't thinking too much about it. But i would be happy with a computer that would let me play these games with an fps of at least "AT LEAST" 60 fps.

Remi i would LOVE to build my own computer but you know how much of a derp i am at computers. The first time i turn it on it's ganna expload XD.

That being said if you guys would like to recommend a few good gaming computers that would be very helpful. Pr rebuilt preferably just the brain ssince i'm happy with my monitor, keyboard ect. also the one i was looking at was over $2000 so don't not post a computer because you think it's too expensive. No i don't havee that kind of cash buti'm getting a summer job justso i can buy a new computer. i'll get there.

Comment

Yeah also I just realized you said they were crossfires. That's literally two gpus stuck together, so you'd have basically twice the gpu power as I do and... Yeah again, I've yet to com across a game I can't play on max settings with half that comp's spec's gpu.

I'm not too acquainted with prebuilts, so I'll ask some friends for any recs.

Comment

Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
                Yeah also I just realized you said they were crossfires. That's literally two gpus stuck together, so you'd have basically twice the gpu power as I do and... Yeah again, I've yet to com across a game I can't play on max settings with half that comp's spec's gpu.

I'm not too acquainted with prebuilts, so I'll ask some friends for any recs.
                <3 Have i told you i love you lately? hehe just out of curiosity if you had a computer as good as the one i pasted what would you do with it remi?

Comment

I would get 3 monitors and play @5760x1080.
                  though, with that, it will be start to get over constant 60fps.

and as I said, dual GPU = Microstuttering, especially with AMD.

Comment

I honestly wouldn't need it, lol. I rarely max out my current computer. I don't see how I could max something with 2x the gpu power.

And Soda, I already have a triple 1080 monitor setup. Hah.

Comment

Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
                      And Soda, I already have a triple 1080 monitor setup. Hah.
                      You students and your money.
                      my 570 is starting to get weak D=

Comment

The irony in that statement xD

Comment

you get more money than us NEETs

Besides, computers and hardware is generally 25% cheaper in the US compared to sweden D=

Comment

I have a 7950 crossfire setup. I can't really say much about gaming performance since I've been cryptocurrency mining with it instead... even though my original plan was to have a gaming desktop...

You should also look into an SSD, 60GB minimum, 120GB max. In your case, as you have the money, you might as well get a 120GB SSD. Put your OS and any other programs you would like on it. Get a separate 1 TB HDD for all your games, music, videos, etc.

With all those high-end parts, you should also make sure you get a decently sized case with good cooling. Your desktop will act like a heater when everything is running.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaeyjay View Post
                              I have a 7950 crossfire setup. I can't really say much about gaming performance since I've been cryptocurrency mining with it instead... even though my original plan was to have a gaming desktop...

You should also look into an SSD, 60GB minimum, 120GB max. In your case, as you have the money, you might as well get a 120GB SSD. Put your OS and any other programs you would like on it. Get a separate 1 TB HDD for all your games, music, videos, etc.

With all those high-end parts, you should also make sure you get a decently sized case with good cooling. Your desktop will act like a heater when everything is running.
                              uhu.... uhu..... intresting.... you don't say..... boy i sure wish i could understand a word of that XD

Comment

Working...
                              X