Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace UFO City with NPC Village

What is it you are suggesting?
    UFO City (The city in Survival world) and its zoo may be impressive, but apart from the exp farm and community farm, it doesn't really have a pull factor for players. The is not many reasons for players to gather in UFO City and often times we all end up gathering in some other player's villages instead, making the city area seem deserted. This is not to add in the fact that the city is no even complete.
    The idea here is to replace the city area with a more functional village type setting, populated with villagers. I noticed that with the villagers in the village near the city, people would at least go there to trade and they also make the area much more lively. With the area changed into a large village it would also take up the unused spaces in the area, so we don't have large empty spaces at the spawn. The village could also include features such as a more visible open market area (Aya has a shop in UFO village, but no one really notices it unless they're specifically looking for it) while retaining existing features but in a different layout such as having open community farms instead of it being hidden in a building.
    I'm also thinking this could work as more of an open community project, with an area in creative flats open to people coming in and building this village before it replaces the city. I've seen the buildings people make in survival and think that it is possible to come up with something impressive through volunteer work. If the open creative project doesn't work, parts of the human village in Gensokyo could always be copied over instead.

Is it beneficial for everyone?
    To a certain extent, it benefits survival players to create a much more attractive common area, and opportunities to engage with Minecraft's trading system with villagers. It also allows non-staff involvement in the server because of how people can add things to it later on in the village area. The idea wouldn't add workload to any of the staff since the it's an open project where any player can join in on the build. Changing it to a village also makes it fit in with the rest of the survival world more as most players tends to have a preference for more traditional looking buildings (or just buildings including more traditional features) instead of modern structures. It could also be fun for many players since it means they would know their creative work may be featured on the server.

Could it be actually be used for something?
    As stated above, it would make a much more attractive gathering area for survival players, and also a much more welcoming sight for new survival players. Night time in the current city is just covered in hostile mobs due to insufficient lighting and large open spaces.

The only true staff requirement is for someone to use WE in creative flats to raise the ground up in the construction area to allow for basement buildings, and finally again when the village is ready to be copied into survival. Also, due to how this project is to be carried out in creative flats, there is no harm in slow progress or it being unfinished since the existing city will still be in survival.

I don't think we need to necessarily "replace" UFO city but I think building it on the other side of spawn or even next to the city would work. Any WEing required, I'll be glad to do it myself and I'm sure the other staff with WE won't mind either. As long as we know where the buildings in creative flat are, importing them shouldn't be a problem, granted with the proper payment of items used in the build.

Is there an area you want me to specifically clear out so the project can start? Or would you rather assimilate it into the landscape itself so the land isn't so... flat.

Comment

I'll find an area in creative flats to start working on, although I'll be building it on an elevated platform so that someone can come in and WE in some dirt below it to allow for basement building. As for flatness, I think we can chisel the landscape in creative well enough to make it not so flat, integrating it into the landscape can be done after importation. Since there is no guarantee on how it would turn out, I think it's safer not to touch any part of the survival map until at least a basic structure of the village is completed in creative.

Comment

Changing it for more useful features would be cool, but we need to keep the nilesy pool stand. XD
        sigpic

Comment

I ultimately support this. What good is it to have a city if no one visits? As long as my own house is untouched, it should be fine.
          No whatever, more Reimu!

Comment

The new village construction is underway. Reach it by going straight forward (north) after doing "/warp people" untill you find a large raised dirt area with a small shrine on it. Everyone is free to contribute. Try to go along with the eastern theme but also provide a little variety so it feels more real. Also, keep the scale down, we want it to be welcoming but not intimidating, it also allows other players to add to it once it's in survival without using too much material.

EDIT: Also, shout-outs for both lkkle and shite for creating the raised platform to work on.

EDIT2: Who were the people that made the spawn building/castle and UFO city?
            Last edited by Krittercon; 02-21-2013, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Updates from the village build, it's pretty much complete

Central shrine. We could move the warp wild here.

Comment

Community farms:

Comment

Market locations:

Fishing spot:

There's a bunch more, including an inn, restaurant, graveyard, blacksmith and more. There are no major functional items in the village such as brewing stands, enchantment tables, or anvils, since we thought adding those would be cheating as it would defeat the purpose of Survival. So far, we have found this town to be a really good Survival RP location.

Comment

Just an idea, but would you like me to "protect" the region so to speak so only people you deem to be "trusted" can edit the area? Anyone could still enter, use certain portions you choose (eg, farms), but they wouldn't be able to steal or grief anything else not allowed.

Again, just putting the idea out there.

Comment

While I do understand the risk of stealing and such, but I kinda want to leave it open so that other players can continue to add to it, making the town grow and change as time passes etc. There's not many things worth stealing in the village though, if anything that's going to be widely stolen it's probably the netherbrick portions of the some of the buildings, we were pretty careful with the build to avoid high-value stuff that could be enticing.

Comment

Fair enough. Don't hesitate to tell a staff member if something does get stolen, though. We'll compensate what's lost and find out who stole.

Comment

More pictures:
                          Library (No enchantment tables)

Black market:

Announcement Board:

Hot springs:

Comment

I could add a plugin so you could store books in bookshelves, if you want. (It'd add actual purpose to the library and also a place where the server can store its books)(I'm going to be adding that plugin either way. Just asking if you want it in the village's library as well.)

Comment

That would be nice, since we completely neglected to put chests in the library. We could store a few copies of Mario's Remi X Console in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X