X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Player Shops

Since 1.10 is alive and booming, and player settlements are now sprouting up, I honestly feel like player trading could do with an upgrade. As it stands, players can only trade if both parties are online. This is perfectly fine and allows for manageable and more intimate trades. But what if a certain player that has a lot of what you want but isn't online? That's a problem. Of course, one could just ask another player but I see a share of cases where NO-ONE has what a player wants.

I suggest we add a player shop plugin. Preferably one that won't require us to add another damn currency plugin.
    For those of you who do not know what a player shop would entail. Basically, imagine walking up to a sign with specific prices and trades. Right-click it and a number of items will disappear from your inventory in exchange for whatever item is being sold.

Thoughts?
    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Originally posted by TRXD View Post
    Since 1.10 is alive and booming, and player settlements are now sprouting up, I honestly feel like player trading could do with an upgrade. As it stands, players can only trade if both parties are online. This is perfectly fine and allows for manageable and more intimate trades. But what if a certain player that has a lot of what you want but isn't online? That's a problem. Of course, one could just ask another player but I see a share of cases where NO-ONE has what a player wants.

I suggest we add a player shop plugin. Preferably one that won't require us to add another damn currency plugin.
    For those of you who do not know what a player shop would entail. Basically, imagine walking up to a sign with specific prices and trades. Right-click it and a number of items will disappear from your inventory in exchange for whatever item is being sold.

Thoughts?
    Ooh, can we get some faction plugins too!
    Just messin' with ya mango

I can see how not having people on could be annoying, but I honestly don't like the idea of sign-shops. Typically from what I've seen when nobody has what people want, they either set out to get it themselves, wait a while, or just say whatever.

I'm currently going to stand neutral on this (As in neither for nor against) but my experience with sign shops is not fun. (Especially provided I've never seen one with item-based trading, it's always a plugin currency.)
    w-what is this autism aura??
    if I dont gook this lolisama now..........
    our western culture will be forever....

..mememized

Comment

I'm all for this kind of thing, but it's just a matter of where all these signs will be :3c

I'd like to see a separate marketplace/market town area that's easily accessible so that people won't have to ask elder+ people to put signs for them in kagome or something.

Comment

I must agree with Eiburine, there should be a marketplace where people can go to the shops and see what is being sold, for example, wouldn't it be better to have a beautiful library with intricate shapes and such, than just a boring sign? And for example, with said sign, if this is supposed to be a player shopping thing, first, how would the shopkeeper refill the stock? And second, how would one receive the payment?

Tapatalk~
        Sometimes you have to accept the fact that certain things will never go back to how they used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by nickmaster00 View Post
          for example, with said sign, if this is supposed to be a player shopping thing, first, how would the shopkeeper refill the stock? And second, how would one receive the payment?
          A magical thing called plugins.
          You have played on YC before, right?

..mememized

Comment

Oh well, but maybe we could somehow integrate this things with the signs with the fact of making an actual structure for the shop, right?

Tapatalk~
            Sometimes you have to accept the fact that certain things will never go back to how they used to be.

Comment

@Nick
              You really think I'd just let people place a crap ton of signs and call that a shop? If I caught somebody placing a million signs in a town plot instead of a building, I'd tell them to tear the signs down.

When using plugins like SignShop, ChestShop, etc., people actually y'know build a shop building. The sign does not replace the building, it just serves as a middleman between customers and shopkeepers.

Additionally, regarding stock, I forgot to mention that. You see; one of these plugins, ChestShop (a plugin I recommend taking a look at), uses both a sign and chest for the shop. The sign is the main workforce while the chest holds the stock. If you wish to replenish your stock, simply dump your stacks into the chest. I believe ChestShop works fine with LWC but idk.

Speaking of ChestShop, though the plugin was flagged as abandoned, it is available under a GNU LGPL license. So, we can modify it if we want to.
              Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

@TRXD

Technically all released bukkit plugins are under the GNU GPL license. As for the plugin itself, doesn't that require a economy plugin. Either way some parts of the plugin are years old. Stuff like using metadata for example. If we do decide to do this I think we should find a better alternative that doesn't contain some really old parts.
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                someone is fighting for you.
                –As long as you remember her,
                you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix
                  IIRC, some of the plugins have other licenses like MIT etc. But I still wanted to point it out if you wanted to update it or modify it yourself.

Also, yeah, ChestShop is out of date. I kinda said so. I only showed it as an example, not as a plugin we must use. Also, you have a point. It must've been another plugin I was thinking about that didn't require Vault and a currency plugin. Let me see if I can find an alternative before we dive deeper into this.

EDIT: Urgh... I don't see any alternatives that don't have a Vault dependency... This is gonna open a whole 'nother can of worms... =A=
                  Last edited by Luna Pixu; 09-16-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Bumping this thread with a double post (because edits will not bump threads if the last post is too old). Please forgive me.

I made a (not so great) example of how these player shop plugins could work in a store. In creative at around 3050, -3550 at my creative buildsite, I built a fast food joint called Old Greasy's as an example. For those of you still confused on how this player shop thing can integrate or be used in existing or planned shop buildings, here's an example/idea.

Note how I only used common foods like Beef for the signs while more select items on the menu (like Golden Apple, Carrots, Cake, etc.) must be bought in person. People who want a quick bite to eat needn't worry while shopkeepers can still feel like they have a purpose at their store. Additionally, you could also jack up the price on these signs compared to your actual stock so that buying in person is preferred to using these. This still retains the idea of intimate trading and community while allowing quick deals to be made when the shopkeeper is away.

Comment

Note how I only used common foods like Beef for the signs while more select items on the menu (like Golden Apple, Carrots, Cake, etc.) must be bought in person. People who want a quick bite to eat needn't worry while shopkeepers can still feel like they have a purpose at their store. Additionally, you could also jack up the price on these signs compared to your actual stock so that buying in person is preferred to using these. This still retains the idea of intimate trading and community while allowing quick deals to be made when the shopkeeper is away.
                      You're British, so of course you'd be good at ripping people off.
                      i.e. america

..mememized

Comment

@Gamer
                        It's all in the business...

(insert highly obscure anime reference here)

Comment

@Gamer
                          It's all in the business...
                          Spoiler: This image looks really fucking big in preview, hence spoiler

..mememized

Comment

Working...
                          X