X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tengu Village/ Mountain Access

I was thinking about a new quest and wanted some feedback. So, I was reading about Youkai Mountain and the Tengu Village and got to thinking, "Wouldn't it make sense if you had to go through a
    certain amount of quests in order to earn the Tengu and Kappas' trust?" They are supposed to be territorial and wary of trespassers, so it would make sense.

Anyway, here are the main ideas for the quests. They are rough, but I plan on refining them if I get enough support and feedback.

Youkai Mountain
    -----------------
    I was thinking that there could be guards on the mountain, but they will be hostile until you complete quests for them. The quest giver could be a guard at the base of the mountain and after talking to them, they tell you to get signatures (or something along those lines) from some of the mountain residents, to vouch for you.
    You can find them around Gensokyo while they are on errands. I was thinking of Sanae, Aya, Hatate, and maybe Nitori. After you get evidence from them, you return the items to the
    guard, and now you can access the mountain without getting attacked by patrols of Tengu.

Kappa City
    ------------
    Maybe an item mission, but for materials like iron, gold, redstone and wood. I was thinking that it could be in phases, like first wood, then iron, redstone, and gold.
    Once that is done, they finally trust you enough to allow you access to their city.

Tengu Village
    --------------
    I was thinking of having six stages to this quest.

Stage 1
    Spoiler:
    Tengu Village Access (stage 1): -Prove that you are trustworthy by killing some of the local pests.

"So. A little bird told me that you're trying to gain access to the village, and that you're trusted by some of the residents here."
    "Since you don't seem to be such a bad person, I'll share a little secret with you."
    "There are cases where we let fairly trusted outsiders prove their worth through different tests."
    "Usually it's by helping patrols,the community, and after that, getting permission from Lord Tenma."
    "Before I tell you the locations of the patrol leaders, I need to know if you can hold your own in a fight."
    "...Tell ya what, there have been reports of fairies causing trouble by the base of the mountain."
    "What better way is there to show off your skills, while earning some recognition?" "Anyway, You'll find them near the Genbu Marsh."
    "You drive them off, then we'll talk."

<Kill 10 fairies.>
    <Return to the guard.>

"Hey, you've returned." "Did you get drive them all off?"
    "So you can fight..."

<Quest Completed>

"Good, now for the patrol leaders."

I notice that my dialogue might sound a little stale, so please feel free to add revised dialogue in a post.
    Last edited by S121; 04-11-2013, 08:58 PM.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

how about helping the tengu with many small assigments like kill some pests, collect certain items for their events/celebrations and a passage of aceptance?
    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

The problem with this being that you're in creative while in Gensokyo ^^;

Comment

thats true
        Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

So which quests won't work?
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

Anything relating to battling something, like a boss battle, because you will be in creative.
            sigpic
            Spoiler:

Comment

so a battling one isnŽt viable hm.. what about:

.-building spell circles to maintain the villages safe from any danger (no need to put an enemy)

.-climb to the top of the village to meet the elders as the acceptance ritual

Spoiler:

Comment

Well I mean, we can certainly add quests to the area (once the plugins update) but I wouldn't be able to do anything like "make NPCs attack players until xyz" or "don't let players enter area until xyz" either. Maybe in the future when we have a really large portion of Gensokyo done, we can make an "RPG" spinoff "server" where the entire thing is basically one giant RPG, but that'd be way later in the future.

Comment

ohh allright, then more patience will be needed lol

Spoiler:

Comment

So it would probably be better to bring this up later. In the meantime I'll probably keep refining this, just in case.
                    sigpic

Comment

Please do! I do like the idea that you've put down. It's just a matter of if we can implement it smoothly xD

Comment

Okay. I will be updating the first post as I start reshaping the quest lines. I will still be accepting more feedback. I like the gathering quest mentioned and will try to find a place for it. If not, it could make a good side quest.
                        About the tree climbing as a rite of passage, I'll need to see the finished Tengu Village once I have an account, but I like the parkour idea.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. If I can't implement any ideas, I'll try to make it a side quest, or a completely new quest line. So keep the suggestions and feedback rolling!
                        Last edited by S121; 04-08-2013, 02:38 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

allright ^^ IŽll try to get more ideas

Spoiler:

Comment

Okay, I was wondering about the quest systems involving dialogue. When you talk to an NPC, can you chose dialogue options, or does it follow a "dialogue track" where they just talk to you and act as if you said something?
                            Last edited by S121; 04-10-2013, 04:20 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Technically "options" are possible but it's hacky, not reliable, and overall "not natural" to the player. A linear route with variations triggered by actions is better.

Comment

Working...
                              X