X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Need Judgement

Alright so I decided on starting a gaming channel under the name Prince of Purgatory (don't ask) and I need help from people with experience, i.e. Everyone on the forums. Here is my mock recording. Please comment on the video. And please don't take this as advertisement, I need help with a video that isn't public yet.

And leave your comments on youtube if you can. Thanks in advance ^^

(((Plz don ban mi forr dis)))

Before doing anything else, here are a few tips to improve the overall video. First off all, get rid of that shaky camera, it's very distracting. Secondly, get a recording program that doesn't have any watermark. If you don't want to spend money (you really should, it's not that expensive) use OBS. Third, I'm a little bit unsure if it's just me, but it seems that you are applying a good amount of compression to the video. Try giving the video a higher bitrate when rendering.
    Born in the light.
    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
    Keep Fighting.
    –Don't Forget.
    Always, somewhere,
    someone is fighting for you.
    –As long as you remember her,
    you are not alone.

Comment

1. I don't quite understand 'shaky.'

2. I should get that taken care of, huh?

3. You're right, I'm a little cheapskate. But given I'm not old enough to get a job or have any means of going to said job, I'm restricted to getting ten dollars every time I cut the lawn. Honestly, the most I spent on this entire project so far was $5.99. I guess I need to put in the money, huh?

4. How do I do that?

In any case, thanks Katrix

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
        Before doing anything else, here are a few tips to improve the overall video. First off all, get rid of that shaky camera, it's very distracting. Secondly, get a recording program that doesn't have any watermark. If you don't want to spend money (you really should, it's not that expensive) use OBS. Third, I'm a little bit unsure if it's just me, but it seems that you are applying a good amount of compression to the video. Try giving the video a higher bitrate when rendering.
        That isn't him doing the camera; it's YouTube doing it's stupid "stabilization".

Anyways, some advice:
        Never turn on stabilization. It causes gameplay to be shaky like it is there.
        If you own an nVidia 600+ card, use ShadowPlay. It's basically the best recording software if you have an nVidia 600+ card. (By 600+, I mean things like the GTX 660 or the GTX 620 or something).
        Try to improve performance; I know you can't really do that right off the bat, but being honest; I don't really like watching laggy performance.
        My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
        Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

Stabilization? I use Bandican, a fixed area recorder. If anything it's the gameplay. Unless I'm misunderstanding everything.

What is nVidia and how much does it cost?

And do you know of any computers with a good drive to prevent lag?

Comment

Originally posted by wonderweiss View Post
            Stabilization? I use Bandican, a fixed area recorder. If anything it's the gameplay. Unless I'm misunderstanding everything.

What is nVidia and how much does it cost?

And do you know of any computers with a good drive to prevent lag?
            When you upload a video, sometimes YouTube either automatically adds it's camera stabilizer or asks you about it. It's supposed to "improve quality" or something. You have to look it up on Google because I don't know how to turn it off off the top of my head.

nVidia is a company :P They make higher-end graphics card. I know the GTX 610 runs about, maybe, 60-70 dollars. You'll have to know how to put in a graphics card into a desktop to use it (which, if you google everything, is pretty easy; tl;dr for how: don't force it in if it doesn't fit, just find something that looks like it'll fit in and try that)

Define "good computer". My definition is rather... costly. We're talking anything around 600 to 1440. (if you ask why 1440: that's how much my current computer costs if you add together the cost of the parts sold individually, in which I did buy all the parts individually)
            My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
            Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

hm.. I did found your voice rather.. neutral, it sounded more like something practiced than actually playing
              Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

From what I remember, you need a GTX card to use Shadow play, which means 650 or 750 or higher.
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                you are not alone.

Comment

The video makes it seem like your playing with 10 FPS. Personally i use fraps and OBS. (both of which you can pirate winkwink) But if you go with fraps just keep in mind that fraps dose not compress the videos at all and if you don't have a lot of free disc space you won't be able to make prolonged recordings.

It's also a good idea t familiarize yourself wth a good video editing software. I can't really recommend anything in this caase since the only software i've used is windows movie maker (I know... i'm ashamed) But that's mostly because it's easy to use and i don't know how to use any other editing software.

Comment

Originally posted by Tewi
                    Personally i use fraps and OBS. (both of which you can pirate winkwink)
                    OBS is free to use. Just saying.

Admittedly, I do have to agree with most of the above. The bitrate of the video isn't that good. Obviously, you have (or were forced to) used the default settings for Bandicam which outputted a low quality video. In Bandicam, you can configure the quality settings (or if you actually know what you're doing, you can change the bitrate directly). I use a full version of Bandicam because of it's simplicity and how multipurpose it is in recordings. Additionally, I also use Dxtory and OBS for recordings. The latter being for a quick facecam or if Bandicam doesn't work. Of course, I'm decked out with software to produce good quality video and I'm still trying to get better and better at editing.

Generally speaking, one doesn't always need a good computer to crank out good videos. I mean, remember our favourite gaming YouTubers? They started off with poor computers like some of us PC peasants. But with the money they earned through either their day job or through YouTube, they got better equipment. Some, like the Yogscast, have even got brand deals and have their own branded custom computers which they use.

Although, I do have decent knowledge in video specs and editing; what I mainly look out for in a video is the YouTuber personality and their style. I watch my fair share of YouTubers so I've gotten a good feel as to what goes in and what goes out. Generally speaking, most YouTubers have their own way of expressing themselves and show themselves to the public. Totalbiscuit is semi-formal and has a professional aura to his videos, Yogscast derp about and do whatever their little minds want, Pewdiepie makes a SH*T TON of immature jokes while trying to appease his fans (still haven't forgiven Kjellberg), and Slyfoxhound has a very casual and expressive style to his videos. Sometimes his very witty and makes jokes on the spot. Other times, he can get heart-to-heart. But most the times, he's just out to have a good laugh and share that with his fans. That being said, most Let's Play and gaming videos rely on the player and his style of commentary rather than the game itself. Of course, some people do come for the skill or for the random ingame moments. But it's the voice and face behind the videos that makes things count. With this in mind, I can judge your video further.

First of all, your intro is much too long and seemingly disinteresting. It's 30 seconds long and most of it is done with childish editing and predictable music (Mortal Kombat? Really?). Unless you can have a captivating intro that reels people in, no-one is going to stick around to watch it or even watch your actual video. Until you can get a good, short intro; I generally say not to do intros. I myself have never done intros and I never intend to unless I get a REALLY good one. (Note: There is an exception that I made to Katawa Shoujo but I did that for sh*ts and giggles and not for professionalism).

Now for the personality and engagement, in the beginning of the video; I saw engagement to the video. You start with a somewhat expressive voice and give out a rather decent start to the video (definitely better than most of the ones I've done ). But when you started the game and started playing Mikasa, that's when things start to drop. Most of your commentary was just the obvious. You explained Misaka's moveset and style but in a rather bland and very empty way. That initial enthusiasm is lost and you simply descend to the level of a boring high school teacher. This is a fatal flaw in video production. If you are not enthusiastic and seemingly uncaring about your content, people will not stay for your videos. If you want people to give a damn about your videos, make it so. Because no-one wants to listen to a dull and drivelling voice mutter into a mic. You shouldn't either. At the end of the day, the level of energy you put into a video result in more positivity coming out of the video. It's like a chemical reaction. Energy + Video -> Audience Retention + Audience Enjoyment. And those two products are the key to success. Enjoyment leads to subscribers and likes. Retention leads to discoverability and more views. As the video progresses, you seem to give more damns about the game's mundane aspects (like time and points) than you do about your audience. Engagement with the audience is key. You need to show that you care about your fans. Open up to them. Tell them a witty story every once in a while, try to show your personality and who you truly are. Because video production should not be manual labour. It should not be a chore. It should be a hobby. An activity that you should love to do. And if do not show that love, no-one will give a damn about your videos.

In general, you really need to hone your craft and shape your style of production. I say to practice talking. A lot. Be it to a friend or to thin air. Because that's the kind of thing that this video needs. Generally, I have this little mentality in which I think of the mic and the camera as my friend. I'm not ashamed to tell it what I would tell a friend.
                    Study YouTubers. Analyse and look into how they act (not implying that YouTubers are fakes and frauds) and behave. Look into their behavioural and ask yourself "Why do people watch this person? In what way would they like them?". Find out how they work and why they work. What makes them successful compared to other people.
                    When you create videos (or produce any media), you need to think in the eyes of the audience. Much like writing a novel or making a film, you need to think of the audience's side of things. Don't be afraid to look back and judge your own content. Because finding out what you are doing right and wrong, independent of third-parties, is sometimes a good trait and ability to have. But do look out for viewer criticism and comments. While a number of them will be like arsenic; there are generally a good number of comments like this one that can and will provide helpful advice. When the time comes, don't be afraid to look at the comments. Because the commenters and your fans can sometimes be your greatest allies.

I could list a whole bunch more but those are my main points and comments. I hope a good number of these do come in handy. After all, I am supposed to be taking care of my own apprentice and guiding him (or so I believe).

tl;dr You need training and guidance. I can help you but you'll need to take some steps yourself.
                    Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                    My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                    My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

This is probably just me but you know what bugs me about a lot of YouTubers?

"Hey guys" : Of all the Greetings to people who aren't there you use that?

"My name is Youtubegamer" : Yes I know your name It's literally right there I know who you are you don't need to tell me.

"Today I'm going to be playing/showing" : Yea I know what you're doing It's in the title. Why are you giving me this information I already know?

This might just be one of the few social conventions I don't get, But It probably just annoys me because so many People do it, especially kids who just watch big YouTubers and Copy what they do.

So maybe I'm just weird.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

@Shmi
                        Well, that's just singles out every video I've ever done. gg.

But to be honest, I get what you're saying. It's a massive cliché to say those lines. And it can get annoying to some people who hate repetition and prefer an alternate way to start a video. I myself have tried my hardest to stray away from this hence the "And we are back!" or "And welcome back!" in a few of videos.

But despite this, it is a way to greet the audience on a less formal level and get some of them engaged. People put their own variants on it and it strangely works. It's one of those things that either YouTube viewers come to expect or it is a psychological thing. One thing's for certain, it works and most viewers seemingly don't care about it as long as it has sufficient energy and engagement. It's like watching a stand-up comedy or certain shows. People will greet the audience and say their name regardless the audience's awareness and knowledge of these facts.
                        Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

Wow guys this really helped out a lot thank you so much

So I learned things...

1. SPEND MONEY GODDAMNED CHEAPSKATE XD (I'll work on that)

2. Look into what you're doing (I'll look into Bandicam and its capabilities as well as youtube and the stabilizer I don't need)

3. Be immersive (I need to try and be more into what I do and add flare. And on that note...)

4. Create your character out of yourself (I need to set myself a personality that people will remember while being myself at the same time)

5. Intros: short sweet and to the point (I did think that was a bit long. Although I personally like the immaturity of adding Mortal Kombat theme. I guess it isn't quite good enough. I know! I'll so a little skit from a scene of the lp)

6. Outro: Ditto (I did not want that to be that long and it turned out to be so)

7. Script your dialogue (I found myself to be stuttering, mumbling, thinking, silencing and repeating myself on several occasions)

8. Practice video editing before adding it (I need practice :P but I have a question, did you all like the voyage to the gas refill edit or not?)

And 9. Have extra fun. Though you may be having fun, have so much that the viewers know that you're having fun and so that they can be just as immersed as you (this goes without saying)

Thank you all for this. I'll make note.
                          Last edited by wonderweiss; 08-08-2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

One thing tough, don't "create a character", just be yourself, but show who you are.
                            Born in the light.
                            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                            Keep Fighting.
                            –Don't Forget.
                            Always, somewhere,
                            you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
                              One thing tough, don't "create a character", just be yourself, but show who you are.
                              I can assuredly agree on that. Unless the video is made with acting in mind, like LARP videos (Boogie2988's Francis and such); don't try to fake a personality and lie to your audience.
                              Transparency is key. If you can't trust your audience, the audience won't trust you. In the case of my videos, I always try to just be myself. Sure, my behaviour and mindset changes a lot. But it's still me. No acting, no fake characters. Just 100% pure, concentrated TRXD.

Comment

Working...
                              X