X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Boundless

"Ah yes... and he's bringing that little circus troupe he's made this past century along with him. Oh what was it again... The Cirque Du Umbra. What a macabre little circus it is, but if he enjoys running it then so be it." Astaroth replied as he rested his hands on the counter. "Honestly this shop is one of the reasons you're my favorite of the Sins, my dear Enraku. Nothing big and nothing fancy. A lovely, quiet little shop for wary souls can come in and just relax..."

Ortus Woods | City Outskirts

The woman just gave a smug grin as she kept driving. "Eh, it still works doesn't it? Besides... the more energy you have, the better you'll heal, and right now you need all the healing you can get." Miranda remarked. What did she mean by that!? 'The more energy you have, the better you'll heal.' Does she not understand that just because someone is feeling more energetic, they won't be magically healing faster!? Regardless of the logic behind that, she did have some sort of point there... If Nick were to notice, he'd feel as if the minor wounds he had... were healing noticeably faster, if ever so slightly...

That is when Miranda said something that might be a bit more of a red flag however.

"Also I'm not taking you to no stinking hospital. Not with those wounds you got. Instead I'm takin' you to my place! Don't worry, it's not too far from here."

Daisuke's Home | Ortus City Suburbs

It was a good 15 minutes before Daisuke returned to his bedroom. During those 15 minutes however, the young woman sitting alone in his room could hear a ruckus going on downstairs.

There was a lot of yelling involved. The sounds of objects breaking and crashing reverberated through the house... Sounds of which would normally get the attention of his neighbors, but in reality... those who have lived in the neighborhood since the Sato family moved in have gotten used to this sort of ruckus.

What the young lady could hear was things from Daisuke's younger sister, who was yelling about "He should have warned her that he was going to be bringing home some naked tramp" and that "he should have just stayed out if he was going to be doing THOSE things with someone." All while Daisuke was yelling in response how "That is not how things are. You're just reading this wrong." and an assortment of other words, including some expletives from himself...

Comment

Nicholas was perturbed by what the woman had said to him. Not only was she not taking him to a hospital, she was also seemingly did not know how human biology worked. This did not help in alleviating his suspicions of this woman, and if anything it made him feel like he was going to end up on the back of a milk carton. The pit in his stomach grew as he knew that this line of circumstances would likely lead to conflict. He knew the gun was on his right side, so if it came to bullets he would have to yank it with his right hand for maximum speed. He took mental note of his fingers, and by the absence of pain it was clear the adrenaline was in full effect. He flexed his fingers and had full range of motion, perfect for what he might have to do.

Despite his mounting suspicions, Nick opted to using the weapon as a last resort. Instead he continued to talk.

"Are you an experienced surgeon with a burn ward? What's the plan?", Nicholas asked, suggesting she had little business taking a seriously injured person to her home. Nick tried to verbally nudge her into making the decision to go to the hospital without escalating the situation.
      Last edited by S121; 04-12-2021, 03:37 AM.
      Originally posted by S121
      Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
      sigpic

Comment

"Oh nothing like that. Let's just say I learned a few tricks, and I have more supplies back at my place. Besides, what exactly are you going to say happened to you?" She said as her grin disappeared. Her tone a lot less... jovial this time around. "Listen. The fact that you're still *alive* after those kinds of injuries. Let alone still CONSCIOUS with that adrenaline... It means something special. So I have to take you someplace where I can keep a close eye on you." She explained as she let one hand off the steering wheel and pointed right at him. The look on her face far more serious than it was before.

"Besides... I don't want you anywhere that you might put others in danger for the time being."

Comment

Nick held his tongue for a few seconds as he tried to consider what was being said. Whoever this woman was, it was clear that she at least had experience in hunting these creatures. Was there something more she hadn't said? After a brief moment, Nicholas let out a soft sigh and decided that he would attempt to follow the white rabbit.

"Okay look, there's a lot of things happening that just don't make sense. I just got attacked by.. whatever those things were... Hellhounds? You show up with guns, so I can only assume you were hunting them. Now I'm being taken to a place I don't know with injuries that really should kill me, but my blood's 50% adrenaline and caffeine right now. Could you fill me in on what's going on?", Nicholas asked the mystery woman. He didn't seem angry, but he wanted to get to the bottom of all this.
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

Miranda just furrowed her brow. As much as she did want to save the explanations for later, she had a feeling this injured young man in her truck won't be as cooperative if she didn't begin explaining things soon.
            With that she just let out a mildly irritated sigh.

"As you have guessed, those things that attacked you are called Hellhounds. Demonic beings from another realm that hunt and prey on just about anything they can sink their teeth into. For one, you're lucky you were just capable enough to fend them off before I arrived." She explained as she turned to him.

"I don't know what religion you follow if any, but whatever they told you about Demons? Isn't true. Kinda far from it, and long story short. It's my job to go around hunting them. That one thing I told you to run from? Was another type of Demon that I had to try and take care of. Honestly you're lucky I showed up when I did. Because if the hellhounds didn't kill you, then that lanky bastard with the metal claws would have. As for your injuries? I wouldn't be too worried about them. If my hunch is correct, all you'll need is some basic first aid and you should be fine by tomorrow. That's one of the reasons why I'm taking you back to my place. The other is because I need to keep an eye out. Since there is no telling what else might be wanting to go after you. With all that blood you spilled from those Hell Hounds, it will attract some more creatures like that one I killed, and not all of them will go down as easily as a fiery mutt."

Comment

By the time Daisuke returned to his bedroom, the mysterious girl named A-7117 was staring out through the bedroom window with the ever-present mixture of curiosity and expressionlessness. Through the gentle morning sunlight filtering through the thin curtain, she observed what appeared to be an approaching figure.

"You have an intruder." The girl uttered, pointing at the figure gaining closer to the house. "Shall I dispose of her?"

Hilda wished she could enjoy her respite a bit longer; the endless nights of laboring with machineries mistreated by their owners would be bearable with good pay and occasional alone-time. Alas, her status as a student bound her to high school: a shackle that was too easy to bear but impossible to break for her current conditions. Still, the very act of going to school was fun enough for Hilda, even if it's just for hanging out with friends and getting some sunlight.

She passed by one of her friend's house while she rode to the school, seeing the curtain to the friend's room rustle slightly. Seeing this, Hilda waved at the window, completely oblivious to the tribulation that Daisuke is facing at the moment.
              sigpic
              Spoiler:

Comment

Ortus Woods | City Outskirt

Nicholas listened as the woman explained as much as she cared to, then was silent for a moment as he digested it. It seemed almost like it was out of a movie or anime, entirely unreal but he was witness to it all. He was face-to-face with these creatures, he fought them, he bled out and bled them out in kind. They were very much real, and so was this woman's story.

Nicholas eventually let out a sigh as the tension in his body released. If what she said was true, then he was not normal either, but was also in no danger of dying. There was no way he should have been able to operate at the level his did with his injures, but here he was. The rest of this woman's story was true, so maybe his own physical anomalies were true too. After a brief moment, Nick spoke again.

"Alright, now booze would be nice.", Nicholas half-jokingly said before speaking flatly, "So what I'm hearing is that by killing those hellhounds, I've potentially got a few stronger monsters who want a piece of me. I've likely stumbled into a secret society tasked with fighting back these demons in a secret battle between good and evil spanning across centuries. Not only am I somehow not dead, I am going to heal like Wolverine and be just fine by morning.............. Okay. One last thing. My name's Nicholas, what's yours?"
                sigpic

Comment

The Boundless
                  "Ah, yes, Luxuria's thinly veiled attempts to gather a cult. I was never much for Barnum and Bailey, nor am I for Luxuria's little show." Enraku responded, slowing down their movements finally to reveal they had a plate of pancakes in their hands, which they deposited in front of Waelin.

"Eat slowly. You scarf it down, you'll upset your stomach." Enraku suggested as they dropped a fork and knife alongside a small container of syrup.

"It's not the first time i've been without food for a while, I know. But thank you." Waelin was more confused than anything, as she was fairly sure there was no oven behind that bar to cook with, let alone that fast, but she cut and began to slowly dine anyways as Enraku turned their attention back to the cat.

"Please get to the point, As, I am not in the mood for being buttered up with generic platitudes." Enraku stated, hands on their hips as they narrowed a gaze as the feline.

Waelin simply listened as they slowly ate. So they were a Sin. The question previous rose up again, but for another entirely. What were they a "Sin" of? They didn't seem prideful, lustful, wrathful, they just seemed fairly... relaxed? Sloth? But they wouldn't have imagined the Sin of Sloth to be so quick. Waelin savored the first slice. It was heavenly. Shje remembered the horrid slop they were served in that prison, nearly gagging the food out before it even started to go down. This felt like the best meal they'd had in months. But that thought was likely just the product of hunger. They savored the sweetness and let those bad memories fade for the time being.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

The Boundless

Astaroth just watched Waelin's expression as she dug into the fresh pancakes that she was given. The look on the odd girl's face amused the cat-demon, and for a moment it seemed as if he forgot that Enraku was there. However when Enraku spoke up, Astaroth turned to his old friend.

"I just felt like I should let you know. After all, I hear Luxuria looks for those who are... how do I say... most peculiar and odd. I know Luxuria doesn't quite come close to matching your full power, but I would rather recommend that you're new employee keep careful. Because aside from the Sin of Lust, I am quite sure the others will be most interested if they catch wind of her if they haven't already." Astaroth explainedas he hopped off his seat and began walking to the door, his form suddenly shifting in the blink of an eye to that of his human disguise.

"After all, in the world of the strange and supernatural. Word spreads quite quickly! Though I'm sure anything that might come after your new friend won't be much of a problem." The demon had said as he approached the door leaving the building. Though before he left he turned back to Enraku. "Also, in one day's time I shall be sending an acquaintance of mine to you! He's a demon who has been trying to live a more simple life. A nice relaxed one. Figured you'd be the best to help him with that. Anyways, I must go now. So I shall see you again!" And with that, Astaroth had left... quite quickly.

Miranda simply gave a chuckle as she put one hand on the steering wheel, leaving her other arm to hang out the driver's side window casually. Her face seemed a lot more relaxed now, but it didn't seem happy. Rather it seemed quite... solemn. "I guess you could put it that way. Also I wouldn't say you will be completely healed by morning. Just healed enough to go home. Either way, welcome to the world of the supernatural. Where all things either want to kill you, or just make you question everything. But yeah. For the next few days I'll be keeping an eye on you from a safe distance. I won't intervene too much unless something horrible happens." She joked.

Daisuke after a good while, had finally entered his room. His hair was an absolute mess, and it looked like he had gotten into a horrible fight. Though thankfully he had no actual injuries. Just ruffled clothes and messed up hair. He gave a long sigh of irritation, with a slight hint of relief. "Holy fucking hell... Okay, I THINK I got through to her, and you should be fine." Daisuke muttered as he then turned to the woman standing in his room. What she said immediately put him on alert again as he ran to the window. Peaking through the curtains and at the street below, he saw a good friend of his. Hilda. While maybe not his closest friend, she is perhaps the least annoying of the people he knows. "No. NO disposing of ANYBODY. Especially her. She's not an intruder. Just a friend..." He explained as he closed the curtains. He then took a few steps away, his eyes closed as he took a deep breath.

However his eyes suddenly shot open as he turned to his alarm clock. He stood there in shock as he realized what time it was... School was going to start sometime soon, and he's barely ready. While he was in his school uniform, it was really dirty and still damp from last night. His hair was a mess, and he had dark bags under his eyes.

With this revelation he quickly went to his closet and began to put his close on in a bit of a panic. All while muttering. "Shitshitshitshit!"

Comment

Nicholas's expression gave away just how exhausted he was, as did the sigh that followed. This was all a lot to take in, but he tried his best and simply closed his eyes. All his worries were forced deep down for now as he brought up his first and primary concern: his family. They would be worried sick that he hadn't come home yet.

"So, what's your name?", Nicholas asked, leading up to his question.
                      sigpic

Comment

The Boundless
                        Enraku rolled their eyes and gave a great heaving sigh as Astaroth left.

"Goddamnit, you cheshire crook, i'm a bartender, not a rehabilitator..." the Sin muttered under their breath, eyes eventually looking over to Waelin who stared back with much curiosity. "Spill, I know you have questions."

Waelin swallowed a pancake slice before speaking. "What is a Sin and should I be worried?"

"Gonna' need to do a little bit of a demonic history lesson if you want that answer." Enraku warned. Waelin paused to think for a moment before giving an affirmative nod.

"Long ago, demonkind used to be scattered, fragmented. They lived in tribes and clans, small and numerous, with a thousand different cultures and beliefs. Until my father arrived, that is. Both of our kinds knew them as the Demon Lord. He united the tribes one by one through force. Other tribes rose up and banded together to stop him, but they all failed. And eventually, somewhere among all this, my father had a child. Me." Enraku explained. "I was... different to other demons, it was clear from the start. My very presence calms others and myself. Allows for rationality where none may exist. Our people were and are still violent. My natural aura acted as a trump card. It opened up diplomacy. And as I became more well known as true civilization began to develop, I eventually received the title as being the Sin of Sloth."

"I'm guessing sins are good to demonkind, considering our image of them being so associated with the more unsavory parts of religion." Waelin speculated.

"We treat them differently than humankind does, yes. Your kind looked to things like greed and wrath and pride and called them blasphemous, a negative. We consider them in a positive light. Sin itself is a demonic word, to us and in the context of my title, it effectively means "Anointed By God." To Sin is to be at one's highest point, to indulge themselves to their fullest. Eventually, my father had more children, and each was given an appropriate title. First was Sloth, then came Wrath, then Pride, and so on." The sin elaborated.

"So what does the title mean here? That you're some kind of 'chosen one' or something similar?"

"In a sense. Before my father died, we served as leaders under them. Sometimes for war, sometimes for peace. We are among the most powerful of our kind, after all, being derived from my father, who swatted aside Greater Demons left and right. We acted as extensions of our father's will when they couldn't be there himself."

"So there are seven of you, I imagine."

Enraku paused for a moment, seeming to mull it over. "Six. One of us is dead."

"Condolences." Waelin lowered their head slightly.

Enraku couldn't help but snort. "No such things are needed, he was the worst of us and extreme even by demonic standards. Be glad he's dead. I am. Most of the Sins should be."

"So if you're this extremely powerful being, then why... why are you here? I can't imagine bartending is the most glamorous profession for someone of your stature."

"Because I want to. I told you, I was never like other demons. They want conquest, war, slaughter, our people thrive in conflict of all kinds. I just don't care for it, don't have the ambition. This is the best job i've ever had. I don't really want conquest, nor to be heavily involved in the scuffle my kind have with humanity. They don't bother me, I don't bother them. Simple as that." Enraku explained. "I left them long ago, and I don't wish to go back."

"And you're not helping humanity because you don't want to fight your own kind?"

"I help, here and there. Little things, information, little dealings, maybe some boarding or throwing a word out here and there. The stuff that really matters I leave to Slayers and governments. Because I have some businesses to run and bars that won't tend themselves."

"I see why they call you the Sin of Sloth."

Enraku gave a smug smile. "I aim to please."

"So, that other thing, will news about me really spread so fast?"

"He forgets that I can control the gas pedal when it comes to information." Enraku waved off, though Waelin looked confused.

"Right, you don't know. I control speed." The sin replied.

Waelin rose an eyebrow, Enraku gave a sigh in response. "Not superspeed. No, I control speed. The concept. Speed of self obviously, but there's speed of thought, speed of death, speed of delivery, anything that progresses or moves in a sense, I can alter it's speed of progression, even conceptually."

"That's... kind of absurd, honestly. Do all of you have powers like this?" Waelin inquired, a small level of disbelief on their face.

"We all have great power in our respective domain. Wrath for instance could probably bench-lift a small building's worth of weight. Pride was horribly insufferable because of their tendency to bring men to their knees figuratively and literally before them." Sloth clarified.

"And the Slayers have to go up against these kinds of things. How are we not dead already, exactly?"

"Not every demon is that powerful. And powerful demons can't be everywhere at once. Not to mention, once they invest in a real strike that gets into the public eye, they're on a time limit before the world reacts. See, sure, we can do these things. They help a lot less against the likes of nuclear warfare and Figment users. And most demons can't even wrap their head around the concept of nuclear warfare, let alone know how to prepare against it." Enraku explained. "I'm not too worried. My siblings are confident in their views, but so am I."

5 against 1 wasn't the best odds, but Waelin didn't feel the need to acknowledge that as they finished off their pancakes.

"I shouldn't have to worry about catching their attention, right?"

"Depends on the Sin, but I will work to protect you from such things even if it becomes an issue." Enraku assured. "Anything else?"

Waelin paused a moment, then shook their head.

"Alright then. If you're full you'd best be going. I would imagine your parents are worried sick."

Waelin's eyes turned to saucers before they put a hand to their head, tugging on their hair. "Oh god, my parents... what am I even supposed to say to them? How do I even begin to explain this without me ending up in a mental ward?"

"I wouldn't. At least the full truth." Enraku suggested. "Tell them you were kidnapped and managed to get away. Details of that sort of thing can be very blurry, you know. Trauma, stress, etc. I think they would not care too much about hard details."

"I... I guess. I hate lying to them, though." Waelin's voice was unsure, eyes somewhat downcast.

"Perhaps you can reveal it to them in time. But for now, I think they more care about you being safe and sound." Sloth replied. "Do you need a map?"

"Directions to the nearest bus stop is all I need."

"Ah, the wonders of public transportation. Head out, take a left out of the alley and a second at the corner and you should be right there."

"Convenient, and thanks... for everything, really."

"It's no problem, Ms. Brooke. I've been in a fair share of desperate and horrible situations myself. Your first shift starts next week, and if you ever need me, simply call my name and I can leverage our connection to speak." Enraku explained. Waelin stood up and nodded.

"Alright. I'll be there for the shift. See you later." Waelin responded. She walked to the door, looking to the sun shining outside and pulled in a deep breath, hoping nothing went wrong. She passed out of the doorway and the alley beyond, sunlight finally touching their face. Her eyes shut for a moment, unused to the brightness after being in the dark for so long, memories of the darkness of the cells passing over, only lit by myriad candles beyond the reach of the bars. The paleness of her skin came fully to fruition now, their complexion looking halfway to a ghost.

It took them a few moments to start moving again, passing by a few people. None seemed to be alarmed by their presence, and relief sunk in, body relaxing slightly as they moved along. Left, then another left. And before they knew it, there it was. She sat down on the bench at the stop for a time, relaxing themselves, simply getting used to actually being outside again. They missed the wind and sunlight, the fresh air and murmur of activity. She soaked it in, allowing themselves to close their eyes for a bit before the bus came, only glancing over to get an idea of where they were. Southeastern part of the city it seemed. If they could get back up to the northeast, they could navigate from there easily enough, but until then, she just basked in the natural light and air and let their mind cease it's frantic pacing.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

'Miranda" She answered. Her tone significantly more solemn as she kept driving. Miranda wasn't always the greatest with people. Or at least not great at helping to calm them down or comfort them. As such she found it hard to say anything else really.

"So uh... what's yours...?"

Comment

Nick could tell that perhaps all this was just as uncommon to Miranda as it was to him, as evidenced by how she had forgotten his name already. Either that, or maybe she was just trying to continue the conversation. After all, how often was it that she was likely to happen across such a situation as his? He wasn't going to press her for those questions, so instead he decided to introduce himself again.

"Nicholas, but you can call me Nick.", he calmly said to Miranda.
                            Last edited by S121; 05-01-2021, 05:35 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

"Well Nick... welcome to the world of Supernatural Shit." Miranda spoke as she continued to drive.

The drive didn't take too much longer after that. About a solid 15-20 minutes before they showed up at the motel she was talking about.

The motel in question was a... not so pleasant looking one. It looked like one of those stereotypical run-down, shabby motels located in the middle of buttfuck nowhere. The type of motel you'd expect to see having a big neon sign... with most of the letters not lighting up due to them being old and malfunctioning. Which if all the letters lit up, it would have read 'North Side Cafe and Inn', but the letters that are not lit up make it read "No t S afe Inn". AKA "Not Safe Inn." Which is not the most pleasant name for a such a place... and considering that it's fairly far on the outskirts of Ortus, where there is nothing but a big highway, and lots of trees surrounding it... really made the alternate name "Not Safe' feel a little more fitting.

Ortus Outskirts | 'Not Safe Inn'

This was clearly not a good Motel. It had very obviously seen better days, but whatever the case, Miranda arrived at the destination. She went and parked in front of her room on the first floor of this 2 story Motel. It was located on the far end of the building. One thing to note in the dark night was that due to the trees surrounding the place, lack of any other cars except one in the parking lot, and the flickering lamppost right outside her room, would make anyone familiar with this kind of setting in a horror movie to go on full alert. Despite this, Miranda let out a big sigh of relief as she turned to Nick. "Welp. We're here. Better get you inside and take care of those wounds." She said as she popped the driver side door and hopped out.
                              Last edited by SUSTIC; 05-03-2021, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Ortus Outskirts | 'Not Safe Inn'

Nicholas was about to ask for the phone when they came up to the motel. Needless to say, it was no better a situation than when he was driving along the forest road at night in the rain; a perfect setup to some sort of horror movie. He figured he would ask about the phone when they got to their room. Instead, he got out of the car and looked over the hood to Miranda as he pointed at the road sign.

"That's just a coincidence, right?", Nick asked the veteran hunter as he motioned over to the large roadway sign that spelled out 'Not Safe' with its remaining illuminated lettering.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X