Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we're stating pros and cons I'll give my two cents worth.

from what I've seen and from what other have told me mumble has an ovrall better sound quality, better security and more privacy than discorde. Mumble also automaticly resizes images for you rather than you having to resize them yourslef before posting them.

Mumble also seems to give you more control over things like encryption keys. It's open sores (I looked up weather or not discord was open sorse and i wasn't able to find shit so if anyone knows please fill me in.) and it doesn't open three separate processes in task manager whenever you start it up, or whenever you just turn on your computer weather you want it to start up or not.

Edit: On that note I will admit that discord is easier to use weather your making a server or just signing on to one. Though if you do use it I highly recommend just downloading a client rather than using the browser version. It's kinda bad.
    Last edited by Tewi_Inaba; 01-01-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

@Tewi

From what I've seen both Discord and Mumble should be just as secure. For the most part they use similar stuff here, so if it applies to mumble, it's probably similar for Discord. It's not completely the same, but it's similar enough. In fact, if you care about that stuff, Mumble shares a slight bit more information about you than Discord does. I'm a bit unsure about what you mean with better privacy. As for voice stuff, it depends on what's set for the room you are in for Discord, and what settings you have set for Mumble. We currently use 64kbps for most rooms on Discord as above that you don't really hear too much difference, and it will affect poor connections.

Opening 3 separate processes I see as a good think. While I can't say for certain, I assume that's because it's multi threaded, and uses your computer's resources in better ways. Also, you know that you can disable startup programs right?

Finally when we are talking about open source. While I agree that open source is generally a good thing, I also feel that you need to weigh the pros and cons of it. Please mention what features mumble has gotten in the last six months. Having problem? Me too. Now let's do the same thing for Discord. Reactions, virus scan for uploads, adjustable user status, custom emoji, direct calls, group conversations and more. And this is not mentioning all the speed and capacity improvements. If you really do want to use an open source solution. Look there actually is an open source client. https://github.com/Jiiks/BetterDiscordApp
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      someone is fighting for you.
      –As long as you remember her,
      you are not alone.

Comment

FYI:
        On windows, you can set discord to not run on start up by going to the hidden taskbar icons when discord is open and right-clicking it to open the menu.

I'll toss in my opinions/experiences here now that I've looked at it

1) Minor derpery on finding where the .exe was so that I can pin to start.
        2) Seems "smaller"/ more optimized and thus not as resource intensive?
        2a) Is it free to host the server?
        3) I like how images are handled in that it "uploads" so that it can be opened to full size. Far more streamlined/elegant than the way mumble handles it.
        4) Mobile app is identical to desktop app, so plus to convenience there, but in the same breath I'm not certain, since I haven't tried yet, how the ease of use will be there for handling voice and chat.
        5) Persistent chat = meme vault. Not certain if I like it or if I must meme harder now.
        6) Kinda like that it's an account attached to an email. Assuming the reason about security concern is that one can't IP ban?
        7) On the surface seems like it just has far more features. I especially like the status indicators for all members online.
        8) Overall, feels fine, not all that different.

Comment

I'm gonna be honest here and say it really sounds like you're grasping at straws here. None of the points you're bringing up are convincing, substantial or even true on some things. I mean sure, if you like Mumble then that's fine. Idc. However if you're trying to change our minds on staying with mumble, it isn't working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been a while since I used discord so some of what I'm about to say may have already been fixed or have been edited so you can alter or change them any way you want.

When i mentioned privacy I was referring to text chat being global rather than being bound to a single room. Granted you can have a privet chat with anyone who has discord by connecting to them directly but then what is the point of even going on the server and trying to hold a conversation in the cluster fuck of a text chat. And even if it's fixed or changed to no longer be global I'm still more likely just to use the PM function so I don't have to deal with people coming in on conversations I'm having with other people and interrupting them.

Another privacy mater is the ability or lack there of to keep people OUT of the discord once they have been banned. I can't speak on discords security in that regaurd since I haven't had to try and ban anyone from there, if I even have the permission to do so, But I highly doubt we can carry over our current ban list to the discord server. If we can then more power to you, maybe it even has better security in that regard but I'll hold my praise or criticism until I know for sure.

As for the start up thing when it turns on, yes I'm fully aware of being able to turn that off but it shouldn't' be on by default in the first place. specially when most people probably aren't expecting it to be. That and not everyone will know that it's possible or in my case know how to actually disable it.

And not only dose it turn on without permission but it'll do anything within it's power to stay on once it is. With mumble i hit the orange "x" button and it's gone, nothing more is needed. I x out of discord and the process is still running. I tried finding a way to turn it off from within the program itself, looked for over 20 minutes and found nothing so I had to go to task manager to turn it off. Only any time i disable one of the three programs the others would quickly turn it back on until i figured out a trick to keep them from doing that.

But I really wouldn't mind that so much if it didn't also notify me any time i got a message from just one of the servers i was in at the time. Also jsut for the record at the time I was in 4. one for the clan in Tera, one that remi invited me to for 7 days, one for YC and a 4th one where I was jsut talking to konson and a few friends. But I can't just be in one server at a time cause If i'm online i'min every server I've joined unless i completely leave the server

And this last thing is really just a problem that I have and that I doubt many other people will have to deal with so I understand if you disregard this point completely. But I can not use the text channels in discord at all due to how their set up. Like I said before the chat (specifically in the YC discord) was a huge cluster fuck of everyone talking at the same time. The text goes by faster than I can read it, conversations about several different things between different people all go on at once and I can't follow any of it. By the time I read one set of posts there's no point in responding cause everyone has already moved on to something else. With mumble there is at least text to speech so I know I'm hearing what everyone is saying and that what I say is being heard but I don't know either of those things with discord. The few times I did ty to speak in it was like posting a message in a twitch stream chat and praying that I got a shout out from whatever live streamer I was watching at the time.

As for discord getting more updates than mumble I think that should be expected from a program that's still in beta. Or was in beta last I used it. either way it's not a strong argument against a program that's already complete and works perfectly fine. I'm more interested in how well new tings are implemented and is it in equal part trying to fix old features as it is implementing new ones. I would rather it polished and perfected what it already has than taking on a bunch of new features I'll never even use.

All in all discord seems more geared towards smaller groups. It worked well enough for 7 days to die and tera and i haven't uninstalled it because of that. It's something I'm likely to use in the future if i wanted to start a clan or guild on a game no one else from YC was playing rather than bringing a bunch of strangers onto the mumble

TLDR Probably can't port over the ban list, banning effectiveness is questionable. ext chats are a cluster fuck. No text to speech. program doesn't close when you want it to. Difficult for people with dyslexia/slow readers to keep up with a conversation.

Also I know someone is going to call this out so I'll be the first one to say it. A lot of what I just posted is based of my own opinion of a program that I haven't used in months so please take everything I said with a grain of salt. If everything I mentioned in this post gets fixed or if it's already fixed then great, I'll give discord a try. But unless these things are fixed I can't see myself enjoying the discord server at all and would most likely leave it in favor of using the PM function or starting my own server just for the people I want to talk too. And I doubt I would be the only one to end up doing this. Reason being it's already happening in mumble where everyone sticks to one of three rooms, rp, clubroom 0 or anarchy/freedom room with occasional crossovers of people from one room going to others to play games talk or whatever. If we can get something similar to that working in discord then I guess it's a non issue but I felt it was worth mentioning.

anyway sorry for thiis wall of text but I felt I wasn't' properly expressing my reasoning and I really needed to get this off my chest. So for anyone who took the time to read everything i wrote thank you for listening.

Comment

There's a very easy way to fully close Discord. Have the window selected and ALT+F4. All three processes close instantly.

I got Discord to replace Skype and when I tried downsizing with that, I closed it completely. Tested right before I typed this, it still does it.
              Took about a week to break the muscle-memory I had from Skype.

Also, I still strongly encourage people who haven't used Discord in its current state to just give it a day or two. It's annoying as hell from square one but when you get your bearings, it's honestly not too bad.
              w-what is this autism aura??
              if I dont gook this lolisama now..........
              our western culture will be forever....

..mememized

Comment

Text chat (at least for the voice channels) are bound to a single room though. You can't be in club room 1, and see what's going on in club room 2 without moving to club room 2.

For bans, if you actually googled it you'd see that all bans are automatically user + IP bans.

As for startup, yeah sure, just like Steam starts up automatically, or Skype does, or Chrome does, or Curse does. Point is that in this age, it's a thing programs do. And yes, there probably was an option in the installation that you skimmed over. As for closing the app, right click on the Discord icon on the taskbar and click exit. You can also toggle startup there. You say that you searched around for 20 minutes about how to close Discord, but when I search "discord close" on google, the second result leads to a reddit thread with the top answer as this.

As for TTS and notifications. User Settings->Notifications->disable "Enable desktop notifications" and Settings->Notifications->Text To Speech set to current selected channel.

As for updates, sure it might be partly because Discord is still a new project so that they have to add new stuff, but ask yourself why Mumble hasn't added any of that yet. Do you know why mumble doesn't support Gif playback? Part of the reason is because performance might be a problem. While some of the stuff Discord adds are just things that would be obvious to add, other stuff like screen sharing and searching are not so much that. And if you care about polished stuff, that's exactly what I was saying too. All of those features were excluding more work they were doing for existing stuff.

While I understand that you haven't used the program in months, it would clear up LOTS of misunderstandings if you would 1) try using the program for a day or two as it is today, not as it was months ago. As said earlier, updates happens here, and the Discord you remember likely isn't completely the same Discord that we are using at the moment. 2) search for these things on google. Simple things like IP bans, TTS, closing and so on are stuff you find within 2 minutes searching for it.
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                someone is fighting for you.
                –As long as you remember her,
                you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
                  search for these things on google.
                  You would be astounded at the amount of people that forget Google is a thing.

Though it is better to hear it from someone with experience that can explain it if you have questions, as opposed to the occasional problem where you can't find shit and have to retype your question 37 times.
                  w-what is this autism aura??
                  if I dont gook this lolisama now..........
                  our western culture will be forever....

..mememized

Comment

I'm pretty new in terms of posting (I've lurked for a good bit) but I've used both mumble and discord quite a bit. In terms of places to voice chat and stuff Mumble takes the cake. Discord acts as like a mini forum/skype hybrid. Mumble is lower impact and has much MUCH better voice quality.

Just putting my two cents in.

Comment

I'm just going to say that as much as Discord might be better, some of us prefer Mumble and will always prefer mumble. I still don't entirely like Discord even though I have gotten used to it. I still don't care for. Such as the sound quality. As for some reason whenever I would listen to some others there would be a quick moment of feedback coming from everyone's mics whenever they started speaking (I've been to the Discord of YC as well as a few other Discord's. It's... annoying.) Not only that but I have to constantly remodify my computer's Sound Mic settings so that people can hear me on Discord, yet when I go to Mumble I have to lower it back to normal because it just becomes too loud.

All in all I wouldn't mind if Tewi makes a new mumble or just becomes the new 'host' of the current one somehow.

Comment

I don't think I can host the current one without reducing the number of slots it has to make it more affordable but apparently you can host them for free if you do it from your own machine. If that's the case I might use that as a temporary fix until I get a more stable monthly income

Comment

It finally happens. I've been wondering when we were getting a Discord. Im on Discord basically everyday cause of games i play.
                          "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

Working...
                          X