X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding 1.6 Survival

So one thing with the upcoming 1.6 update is the addition of several new features which might be desirable to survival. But the problem here is that Survival is already extremely large and generating new areas with the 1.6 items (eg dungeons) will be difficult at best.

Here we are faced with a decision. We must decide whether to use a clean map or not for 1.6. If we were to do so, what i would do is that I would make a new world, not replacing the current survival map, and link inventories so users may "move" to the new world complete with their previously gained items and such. I would leave both "worlds" available for at least a month and then another decision would be made on whether to "remove" the old survival world or not. (I would put it up for download either way, though)

However now we're faced with ANOTHER dilemma. 1.7 is rumored to have some pretty big biome and terrain changes, so it'd actually be likely that we'll have to do another survival wipe to allow for the new terrain and biomes to take effect. However, we're probably not going to be seeing 1.7 at the very least until late fall or early winter, so that gives us around 4 months.

So my question to you guys, the players:

Should we make the new survival map now or wait until 1.7?
    Yes! Make a new map now!
    42.55%
    No! Wait until 1.7!
    57.45%

Personally, I like the idea of wiping the slate clean and starting over like a New Game+. It's like building a sandcastle and having something ruin it. Sure, it's gone for good, but now you know how to do it properly. Plus, I'll wager some of the players want to experience starting out again and gathering resources. Survival is ridiculously easy, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Mario View Post
      Personally, I like the idea of wiping the slate clean and starting over like a New Game+. It's like building a sandcastle and having something ruin it. Sure, it's gone for good, but now you know how to do it properly. Plus, I'll wager some of the players want to experience starting out again and gathering resources. Survival is ridiculously easy, anyway.
      I agree that some things are easy to rebuild, but if you're talking about big things, like Alayosho's castle or Yuuka's Mansion, that would really make some people (including myself) rage or
      something, because those took a long time to build and to gather the materials.
      Maybe a better idea would be if we either:
      • made the 1.6 or 1.7 survival world and keep the 1.5.2 survival world too (though this might cause data overload problems or something;
      • give people with giant builds the option of having those giant builds carried over to the new survival world, by using World Edit;
      Originally posted by Mogeko
      Yummy prosciutto! Praise be to prosciutto!
      Originally posted by Lord Prosciutto
      Praise be to prosciutto.
      ..... I forgive the sin of all Mogeko.
      Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

Yea all our projects at my place which took a huge amount of manwork to create would, and if I knew all that work would be completely wiped clean upon a certained date would severaly make me think twice about building anything huge

Comment

There would be nothing ported over to the new maps other than linked inventories so people can carry resources back and forth. No worldedit.

The problem with having both a pre-1.6 and 1.6 (or 1.7) world is that the split between the two is likely going to divide the survival userbase. Some people are going to go to the new map while others will remain in the pre1.6 map, but I would think that everyone in the old map will still go to the new map to gather resources and the like. Also, it's generally just a bad idea to have two survival maps running.

Comment

but if we're going to do a new map we might as well do it now for everything we do till then will be undone
            and what rescources would we keep from the old world to the new just whats on hand or a chest full of goods

Comment

well right now it's looking like we'll wait until 1.7, but that's still a good 4 months away. It'll likely even be 2014 by the time we do the actual transition.

Comment

the only problem is when you know everything your doing will go away

and would we be able to bring stuff over to the new survival map if so how much
                Last edited by yuuka; 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

If keeping buildings is the problem, then why not mc edit all the important ones?

Comment

its not even that there are a lot of things i could improve upon if i had to rebuild its just I had people changing the area around my place so we could build easier and now what we build upon there and it gets erased in a few months i would rather just get it over with.
                    and keeping some items you've collected over the time on this survival map would at least help so you dont have to spend forever to get the books for you enchanting room, or sapplings to help jump start your new projects to food so you dont die so fast finding the new place to build

Comment

Originally posted by wonderweiss View Post
                      If keeping buildings is the problem, then why not mc edit all the important ones?
                      I actually already asked about this, but Remi said:
                      Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
                      There would be nothing ported over to the new maps other than linked inventories so people can carry resources back and forth. No worldedit.
                      Praise be to prosciutto.
                      Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

and i'll im asking is how many items can we bring for we might just have to take all the glowstone, and stuff over

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka View Post
                          and i'll im asking is how many items can we bring for we might just have to take all the glowstone, and stuff over
                          I have a feeling that this amount is whatever you can carry in your inventory.
                          So try to bring logs and gems/ores instead of armor, tools, planks etc.
                          So just the way to bring the most.
                          Praise be to prosciutto.
                          Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

From what I'm getting, Remi will have both old and new worlds up at the same time with linked inventories (Like how your inventory doesn't get reset when traveling between Gensokyo and Creative flats) and leave it like that for a week or more so people can transfer things over.

Comment

ok if thats the case i will be awaiting the new survivial to do just that

Comment

Working...
                              X