Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severity of Exploit Usage and Proper Reactions [Non-staff] and/or Punishment [Staff]

Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severity of Exploit Usage and Proper Reactions [Non-staff] and/or Punishment [Staff]

So, I haven't exactly seen any rules on it and I'm assuming it's an unwritten rule, or at least hasn't been done enough to require a rule being made on it yet, however I wanted to address this either way.

The usage of exploits inside a game could be done for the advantage of whomever is doing so, could result in an unbalance of the game and get them things they should not have without it being detected unless witnessed or found out later on. An example of such exploits could be using certain blocks and mechanisms to X-Ray without a mod or texture pack in order to find generated structures.

I simply want a good, informative, and easy-to-understand reply that can explain what exploits should be severe enough to report and which ones are not so that I do not go insane reporting any and every exploit I find/witness. Thank you for your time in advance if you do reply.

NOTE - This is more directed to staff members than regular members of the Yukkuricraft server, but any advice should be fine. Also, I do not know if this exactly fits here given it's not a suggestion but more rather a question of the server. Correct me if I'm wrong on placing it here.
    w-what is this autism aura??
    if I dont gook this lolisama now..........
    our western culture will be forever....

..mememized

Well our rules 2 and 3 basically summarize up as "don't do things people will frown at" and is purposely made a bit vague to cover a lot of things. I'd say exploiting games is overall something that would go under "frowned upon" since... well, you're giving yourself an unfair advantage as you said. That being said, any sort of exploit that benefits anyone would naturally fall under violations of rules 2 and 3.

For reference:

Originally posted by Remilia_Scarlet View Post
    Be courteous
    • Being nice and considerate will take you a long way with getting along with
      everyone!
    Don’t be a douchebag
    • Don’t go around causing people grief or any kind of displeasure. We’re all here
      to have fun. Don’t ruin it for others!

Comment

Most exploits are really not allowed to be used at all, it can even be plugin exploits as opposed to general Minecraft ones. Using an exploit to unlock locked chests and trapdoors will eventually get you banned if you are persistent about it and don't listen when told to stop. (it has happened before) The same logic can be applied to more serious exploits as well.

If an exploit gives that user a clear advantage over others, they will be warned severely about it. This is where our usual process kicks in. We warn them, if they don't listen, an undetermined amount of time length ban will be given out depending on how severe the exploit is. (this ban will usually always be appeal-able) If they appeal with good reason and intention, they will be unbanned and be put on an unofficial probation, in which, if that user proceeds to use the exploit after their unban, they will be banned again. Whether or not their ban is once again appeal-able depends on the severity of the exploit.

How the community is supposed to respond to this is like any other source of negativity in the server, talk to one of the admins and staff. Builders can forward your concerns to a Mediator or Admin. Ask us how we feel about this and whether or not it should be allowed, and don't try to gain too much attention in the process. If someone is using an X-Ray, you don't want them to know that you found out, otherwise they could go and cover up their tracks.

Comment

What Keychain said; plus, it's if a plugin exploit, I will patch it immediately, I don't care if it's not my plugin or not.
        My software doesn't have bugs. It just develops random features.

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
        Well? Which one?

Cyros admits the truth: http://i.snag.gy/GTy14.jpg

Comment

@Tenko

Like flying in survival?
          Born in the light.
          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
          Keep Fighting.
          –Don't Forget.
          Always, somewhere,
          someone is fighting for you.
          –As long as you remember her,
          you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
            @Tenko

Like flying in survival?
            If it isn't intended...

Do you have a hour emergency call systems broadcasting radio station WNYW or Internet Explorer?
            Well? Which one?

Comment

The only people who can fly in survival are admins. If you are flying in survival without consent from admins first you are considered cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Keychain View Post
                Ask us how we feel about this and whether or not it should be allowed, and don't try to gain too much attention in the process. If someone is using an X-Ray, you don't want them to know that you found out, otherwise they could go and cover up their tracks.
                I already know to not just blurt out "ERMAGERD UR EXPLOITIN" or something, I figured that was common sense but thank you for making that clear anyways.

Although, I believe covering up your X-Ray tracks would be pointless because of Logblock, wouldn't it?

..mememized

Comment

Yes, but it can still make finding exact evidence a bit more time consuming and possibly more difficult.

Comment

@Tenko

I was reffering to that one time with the feathers. Never really did it for more than 2 sedonds tough and you patched it pretty quickly.

@Remi

Actually it can be done. I remember when I first joined the server as Satori I did it. It is very time consuming however and there are still traces left, just not where you would expect them to be,
                    Born in the light.
                    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                    Keep Fighting.
                    –Don't Forget.
                    Always, somewhere,
                    you are not alone.

Comment

Wait, what can be done? Covering up tracks? If so, all I have to do is look up all diamond ores you've broken, get the coordinates, teleport, and start logblocking the blocks around it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, covering up the X-Ray tracks doesn't full-proof your plan but it makes it somewhat more time-consuming, I could easily see that.

However time consuming it is, it's still possible.

..mememized

Comment

Um... What is an exploit? I want to know because I remember on my first few days here I tried to do something that I didn't know was illegal... In any case, I want to know if I've been doing it unknowingly.

Comment

@Remi

Actually you can make it look like you were just extremely and stumbled upon diamonds when making your branches that continue on from that point. The only traces left is that there have been one block where multiple stone blocks have been broken, but no one placed. You may also find traces of pistons. If you do it the right way you can reduce the amount of traces left behind to maybe 8 blocks or less, depending on the size of the diamond ore. I could show you sometimes. It relies on the same trck I used when "X-rayed" with the Satori account, only that time I made it look like I had x-rayed when I hadn't.

@Wonder

A exploit is basically doing something which is not intended to happen. If you found a way to fly in survival then that would be a exploit.
                            Born in the light.
                            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                            Keep Fighting.
                            –Don't Forget.
                            Always, somewhere,
                            you are not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
                              @Remi

Actually you can make it look like you were just extremely and stumbled upon diamonds when making your branches that continue on from that point. The only traces left is that there have been one block where multiple stone blocks have been broken, but no one placed. You may also find traces of pistons. If you do it the right way you can reduce the amount of traces left behind to maybe 8 blocks or less, depending on the size of the diamond ore. I could show you sometimes. It relies on the same trck I used when "X-rayed" with the Satori account, only that time I made it look like I had x-rayed when I hadn't.

@Wonder

A exploit is basically doing something which is not intended to happen. If you found a way to fly in survival then that would be a exploit.
                              Your definition of an exploit is my definition of a glitch...
                              My way of explaining it:
                              Glitch: Unusual occurence, bug in code, can ruin gameplay for others and/or yourself.
                              Exploit: A hole in the system in which was not expected to ever happen. By "not expected", I mean as if you lived in a farm and some guy brought a shotgun and started shooting all of your animals.

Well? Which one?

Comment

Working...
                              X