Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yukkuricraft's Pokemon Showdown tournament

Introduction

OU Tournament is over! Sign-ups are open for Random battle tournament only until June 1st!

Hello, Yukkuricraft. As someone who's been a competitive Pokemon battler (Yes, there's such a thing as competitive Pokemon battles) for about a year and a half, I was curious of the Yukkuricraft members and their proficiency in battles. Thus, I will be hosting a Pokemon Showdown tournament that will determine who truly is the very best, like no one ever was.

Pokemon Showdown

Pokemon Showdown is an online Pokemon battle simulator ran by an organization of competitive Pokemon battlers and strategists called Smogon University. It allows for multiple different battle formats, including, but not limited to: Random battles, competitive tiers, (Will be explained) double battles, triple battles, and hackmons. Random battles provide you with completely random team with random but still competitively viable items and abilities, while all other format requires you to create your own team.

Link: http://pokemonshowdown.com/

Tournament Rules

Obviously not everyone is well-versed in the competitive Pokemon battling. Thus, there will be two kinds of tournaments:
    • ORAS OU
      - You will create a team of 6 Pokemon with game-legal moves and items in the OU tier. This will be done for you in the Pokemon showdown itself: showing you the list of items and abilities and moves available by the Pokemon you select.
      - Draft one OU team. Presto!
      - There are several clauses or rules that are enforced. They are:
      • Species Clause - A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team. For example, using a team with two Koffing would break this clause. Using different formes on the same team, such as Rotom-W and Rotom-C, also breaks the clause since they share the same Pokédex number (#479).
      • Sleep Clause - You can only put one Pokemon to sleep. Sleep caused by Rest does not count.
      • Evasion Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
      • OHKO Clause - A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
      • Moody Clause - A team cannot have a Pokemon with the ability Moody.
      • Baton Pass Clause - A team cannot have more than one Pokemon with the move Baton Pass. A Pokemon with the move Baton Pass cannot have both a method of boosting its Speed and a method of boosting any other stats. For example, you cannot have a Ninjask with Speed Boost and Baton Pass have Swords Dance, as it breaks the clause.
      • Endless Battle Clause - You cannot force an endless battle cause. For example: Slowbro with Recycle and Leppa Berry.

- The tournament will be held in double elimination format. Meaning, everyone starts at the winners' bracket, and those that lose are moved to losers' bracket where another loss would result in complete elimination.
    • Random
      - You will be given a team of 6 random Pokemon from all tiers.
      - Same clauses from the OU tournament is applied in this tier as well.
      - This tournament will also be held in double elimination format.

Tier list, explained

In Smogon, there are several tiers based on how good a Pokemon is in the meta. The tier shifts dynamically based on how often the Pokemon is used in various official tournaments and in Showdown matches. The tier lists are as follows:
    • OU (OverUsed) - OU tier is Smogon's most fundamental usage-based tier, In this tier, every Pokemon except those banned to Ubers is usable. This is the tier that the OU tournament will use. Examples of OU Pokemon are Talonflame, Celebi, and Mega Gardevoir.
    • UU (UnderUsed) - These Pokemon are not used as often as those in OU, but still fills the niche role that can become very useful. Examples of UU Pokemon are Darmanitan, Gyarados (No mega), and Nidoking.
    • RU (RarelyUsed) - Examples of RU Pokemon are Absol (No mega), Flygon, and Hitmonlee.
    • NU (NeverUsed) - Examples of NU Pokemon are Charizard (No mega), Scyther, and Liepard.
    • Ubers - Pokemon that are too strong for OU tier is relegated to here. This is essentially the playground of legendary Pokemon.
    • Anything Goes - A novelty tier that consists of ANY Pokemon, including Mega Rayquaza.
    • BL (BorderLine) - Pokemon are that are too strong for one tier, but too weak for other. These are situational Pokemon that are used for the tier above it. Example: Diggersby, a Pokemon in BL1 (Between OU and UU) cannot be used in UU. Froslass is in BL2 (Between UU and RU) and cannot be used in RU.

Of course, Random battle format does not follow any rules. Random battles that follow the tier lists loosely is called Battle Factory.

How to Join

Simple. Just reply on this thread with your showdown name (If you don't have a showdown account, creating one takes literally a minute.) and which tournament you would like to join. You can join both tournaments! Just make sure you put your name in by 5th of May!

NOTE: When creating your Pokemon Showdown name, log onto the site to make a profile to test if your name has already been taken.

Bracket

OU Tournament

Random Tournament

Closing Words

Current List of Applicants:

TRXD (Name: TRXD) - OU, Random
    Tewi (Name: Seki The Vampire) - Random
    Amaterasu (Name: kagerouplz) - OU, Random?
    Sustic (Name: PsychoSustic) - OU, Random
    sfdavid98 - Random
    Eiburine - Random
    Wriggle - OU, Random

Good luck!
    Last edited by WriggleRid3r; 07-08-2016, 03:18 AM.
    sigpic
    Spoiler:

OK, getting my name, count me in once it's in

Edit: Bah here's my name - kagerouplz
    Last edited by Amaterasu no Akane; 05-04-2016, 06:24 AM.
    Spoiler:

tfw someone tries to shitpost

"Do not fear duress of any kind, even if determined or even pure;
    rather, fear the clout of the glaring mantle at your side, ready to conserve."

Comment

Though I consider myself quite the Pokémon fan, I am in no way a competitive nor overly serious trainer. Heck, I never know which nature does what (it wasn't until they started implementing the Red/Blue stat numbers that I begun to understand which was which) nor did I truly care about EVs and IVs.
      That said, I am up for some friendly Pokémon competition. In no way will I expect myself to do well (or even get that far) so I'm merely doing this for funsies.

Showdown name: TRXD (of course). Playing for ORAS OU. idk if I'll be playing in the Randoms.

(Also, I'm totally expecting some "Are you sure you're a Pokémon fan?" or "Have you ever been in a Pokémon battle before?")
      Last edited by Luna Pixu; 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM.
      Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
      My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
      My NNID: OfficialTRXD
      Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

I'm in! Just uh... let me get my name.

@TR

I'm not competitive either but this is something that we can easily just well... do as pokemon fans in the community. Something for fun ya know?

Comment

@SUSTIC
          Which is why I said I'm doing it for funsies. There is no way in hell I'm gonna take this completely seriously.
          Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

guess i'll go for random and OU

name is Seki The Vampire

Comment

So, we have a total of measly four participants. I don't know if we can necessarily run a tournament with such low amount, but let's try it anyway.

OU tournament participants, you have until May 15th to draft THREE OU team and send it to me by PM.

How to build your team:

1. In play.pokemonshowdown.com, go to teambuilder.

2. Click new team.

3. Select OU for the format.

4. Click Add Pokemon.

5. Begin adding Pokemon that are not tier Uber or AG.

6. Give your Pokemons nickname, (if you want) moves, gender, item, ability, and stats. Keep IVs at 31, and use the recommended EVs if you are new to competitive.

7. When you have six Pokemon, click Import and Export button.

8. Copy and paste the texts shown to a PM to me.
              sigpic
              Spoiler:

Comment

Wrigs, a friend of mine wants to play with you, what should he do, do I tell him to make a YC Account or what?

Tapatalk~
                Sometimes you have to accept the fact that certain things will never go back to how they used to be.

Comment

Yep, tell him to create a forum id.
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:

Comment

And when would be the due date to sign in? And when would be the date of the actual event too? Cuz he would join tomorrow at around 7pm EST

Tapatalk~
                    Sometimes you have to accept the fact that certain things will never go back to how they used to be.

Comment

He can sign in and, if he wants to join the OU tournament, PM me the teams by the 15th just like anyone else.
                      sigpic
                      Spoiler:

Comment

RULE CHANGE

You only need to draft one OU team. Presto!
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:

Comment

I thought that was the case anyway. A mandatory 1 team and up to 2 more.

EDIT: Wait. Are you now limiting entries to 1 team or are you only making 1 team mandatory? The OP and your post aren't making it clear.
                          Last edited by Luna Pixu; 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM.

Comment

At this point Idk. On one point I want people to have 3 drafted OU team so that they can have versatility in strategy, but at the same time I think people were confused and just sent me one team. So for this tournament I'm gonna ask for only 1 drafted OU team.
                            sigpic
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Eh, ok. I already have a team ready to go so I'll send that one. I was juggling between making a 3rd or just sending the ones I already had.

Comment

Working...
                              X