X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wonderweiss View Post
    Ya know, I don't know why but I knew that the rest of the community didn't like us rp folks...
    What reason do they have to not like the RP community?

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

@Everyone

To be honest, some of them are truly valid points, albeit somewhat aggressive in some peoples' eyes.

Of course, while many of us need to improve in a certain aspect, not all of us have flaws that would require correction. For example, TRXD's style looks alright to me. He shows what the character is thinking, how they are feeling, all while keeping their actions fluid, not wooden.

While some of us might be put down by this criticism, I think we should all take a look at it in an objective manner. After all, not all criticism is bad. Don't take it too hard.

@TRXD

Don't worry too much about it. I think that some of Wriggle's criticism towards you was just to make a point that all of us need to find a way to improve. In my opinion, I find your posts to be fine.

@Wriggle

I already spoke to you in Mumble, so you know that I'm not mad or anything. It's just that now that I really look at the rest of the list, TRXD's flaw might just be a preference of yours and might actually play into your own flaw.

You stated that you don't like reading long posts, but TRXD makes long posts. It then stands to reason that you don't like TRXD's posts because you don't like long posts. I believe that you need to consider this, as well as the fact that nobody else has called out TRXD for his long posts. Long posts, when read, show the amount of work and effort put into a character. The RPer responsible for the post shows that they have a complex, "organic" character and is willing to really put in the time for that character, fleshing it out as much as possible to create the best character they can. You can't really criticize someone for trying to make a good character, can you?

While I see what you mean about Trista's shyness being referenced many times, I can tell you from experience that TRXD is pretty accurate about how shy people act. It's actually fine as is.

As for Major, he does have a point. Just as he finds it easier to stick to darker characters, I find myself sticking to certain character traits in my own OCs, even in the ATWAG Characters. Sure, they have various traits that make them diverse, but they still always stick to this one trait: no matter what, you can count them in to try and help in a situation. Even if they are reluctant, or even downright cold, they would still help others if it is needed. I suppose dark is simply the trait that Major sticks to for the reasons he stated.

Many of us fall back onto at least one character trait, and the ones that can defy that rule are truly talented, but we shouldn't consider falling back to certain traits as a weakness.

I understand the point you were trying to make with the criticism because I have talked with you, and I am completely fine with criticism, but when choosing weaknesses in others and scrutinizing their styles, it always helps to remain objective and not aggressive. It prevents scenes like this.

EDIT:

@Major
      Drama.
      Originally posted by S121
      Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
      sigpic

Comment

@ S121
        What say ye of the matter I put out?

Comment

@Wonder

Well, I probably shouldn't tell, but I have heard many times that some members of the greater community frowns upon what happens here. They don't quite like all the drama, all the outbursts.

Of course, I have talked with some members of the greater community and talked with them about it. I said that sometimes, you shouldn't let first opinions be the only evidence gathered for passing judgement, that before you decide to judge it, you first need to understand it.
          Last edited by S121; 07-16-2014, 05:17 PM.
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

RP General Discussion

Drama is everywhere, S121, especially in the main community and the minecraft server. Tewi/troublexassassin is proof of that. The RP community's problem with drama is that it is documented in text for all to see.

They have no right to judge us when they have their own problems.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

@Wriggle

Alright, so you don't think that I'm doing my job good enough. It might be true that Skyrim and FTB have distracted me, and that along with summer have meant far less posts from me, but do remember that I'm actually the Co-Manager of RTY. Don't I need to be a role model over there too.

Besides, you should be yelling at my rate of posting.
              Born in the light.
              Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
              Keep Fighting.
              –Don't Forget.
              Always, somewhere,
              someone is fighting for you.
              –As long as you remember her,
              you are not alone.

Comment

@Major

True. To be honest, I like being open with everyone here, but there is the risk of people seeing what goes on here. Unfortunately for us, there are no closed doors here.

What needs to be said must be said, and we have no other medium to say it with, but it really is here for the world to see.

Hmm... I wonder if there's a way for us to fix that...

I would say Mumble, but not everyone has it.
                sigpic

Comment

Uh, S1, wise words be spoke, but I was referring to the other post I made. The longer one.

Comment

Are you guys going to keep talking about this subject for all day? because it is just a disagreement of point of views from what I understand

Yes we have flaws, but everyone has them, no one is perfect.

The drama? that happens everywhere, be it a game, a forum, etcetera.

How we post is how we think is ok for us, we have long posters as also short ones, some are detailed, others not, in the end it is how we all do it, yes we can accept suggestions on how to be better posters, but I´m not changing the way I post in a matter of seconds just because someone ranted about it (Yes there is difference between suggesting and ranting). That takes it´s time to happen and that is if the person is willing to change his/her way of thinking

We respect each other enough to trust our issues and that is why this "drama" appears because we share our stuff, if this "greater" community can´t respect that, then why it is such a great community? give me that choice and I will surely choose to be "lower" than someone who can´t be open to the everyday life of the ones around his/her surroundings.

Am I missing something that we are still being too "low" to do right?
                    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

@Wonder

Ahh, machinegun posting. I actually miss that a little too. Just as Major has said, it's kind of pointless to type up an entire paragraph just to use one or two pieces of dialogue. I feel that if we want to add things in like what TRXD does, or that I sometimes do, then that's okay, but we can't expect everyone to do the same. Not only that, but 1v1 battles are MUCH funner that way. Take John vs Ansem SoD as an example. That was machinegun posting, and it was at it's finest. Why? because if you machinegun post a 1v1 battle, the suspense sticks with you, while if it takes an entire week, you don't get that same rush.

Of course, even though I miss machinegun posting, I can also see the downsides. If there are more than 2 people in a group, one person could get cut off by the other two. Not only that, posts get conflicts more easily that way. One person posts before the other can, and then we have a problem. This was especially evident with me. I would try to post for a fight scene, but I would also need to post for everyone else, but once I finally posted, somebody else beat me to the punch with a couple sentences, forcing me to change all the hard work I had done, sometimes even entire paragraphs.

In my opinion, I think we should try and use machinegun posting when it could be helpful, like with some dialogue and 1v1 battles, but I also think we should use it carefully so that we don't cut people off.

@Kristia

Actually, Wriggle did have some good points, albeit in an aggressive tone. We all do have weaknesses in our writing styles, and it would be nice to improve. For me, the main one is wooden posts. I have actually always thought this about my posts. I see that it is a problem, so I will try to improve it.

I'm being honest, but you have weaknesses too. That's not bad, it just means that there is room for improvement. As for the "angry community" this has REALLY been blown out of proportion. -_-;;;

@everyone

Some, not all of the community regards as bad. Only some. I already talked with them, and I feel that we at least came to an understanding. Granted, some may feel that there are tensions, such as drama, but it's really not that bad.
                      sigpic

Comment

oh I know I have my problems, the grammar and rushing mostly.

The first is usually caused because I do it while at work, so many times I write as fast as I can to both have work done and be here. The second one happens when I´m seriously into the character, but in other cases when things are slow (mostly this and last month) when there is activity, I post, but then comes somebody saying he/she had this post ready for a while. Then I have to edit/erase my post so he/she can use his/hers.

So that is also my problem, I let others put their stuff while I move mine to the side
                        Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

Looks like too many people took it offensively even though I never meant to be aggressive.

I did not post that to start a shitstorm. I just wanted to voice my opinion on the recent influx of inactivity on the RP forum. I was afraid that it would die off slowly but surely and I wanted to give it a little stimulus package, not only make sure people do not forget that this exist, but transform the RP community into a higher form.

Enough ranting. I feel like this was a bad idea now.
                          sigpic
                          Spoiler:

Comment

what did you expect by giving us the full punch? as I said in earlier posts, one thing is giving an advice, but it can become a rant depending on how you give it

Spoiler:

Comment

Ok, I'm back from lunch.

@Kristia

That is something we'll need to work on. I understand the rushing part. After all, it can be difficult to balance both work and the RPs at once, but I would say that the biggest weakness would have to be not just one or the other. Now that I think about it, weakness #2 might be caused by weakness #1.

It might be that you rush to finish the post and make them short so that you can keep up, but cut off other people without meaning to. I don't mean to point you out because it's not entirely your fault, but you are a part of the problem. I think that I just might be as well. Sometimes I am guilty of the same thing. I'm afraid that someone's going to post before I will get the chance to post, so I BS my way through the post, cutting off people as well.

Perhaps we can both find some way to remedy this. What are your thoughts?

@Wriggle

No worries from me. You already told me your intentions over Mumble.
                              sigpic

Comment

@Wriggle

If you ask me, it might actually have been a good idea, make people think a bit more.
                                Born in the light.
                                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                                Keep Fighting.
                                –Don't Forget.
                                Always, somewhere,
                                someone is fighting for you.
                                –As long as you remember her,
                                you are not alone.

Comment

Working...
                                X