Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OOC]Ruins of Minerva - Survival RP

I couldn't help it

Ruins of Minerva
    Within the besieged city of Minerva, how far can humanity fall?

Background:

War has been raging for countless months and the besieged city of Minerva, while once a proud metropolis of art and progress, has been reduced to nothing but a sea of ruins by constant artillery shelling. A group of ragtag soldiers that call themselves revolutionaries occupy the city during the day, with the snipers perched on high roofs shooting at anything that moves. The nighttime, however, becomes the hub of scavenging, raids, and crime. Everything is in short supply, and whatever little aid that reaches the city is seized by the most ruthless and the best armed.

Few residents were lucky enough to flee in convoys that took them to shelters and eventually abroad if the refugee wished to. However, most residents, those who missed the very sparse refugee convoys, are left to fend for themselves. They seek shelter in the abandoned tenements, living off of rats and scraps of food, while they scavenge the ruins of buildings at night... and whatever other dirty deeds they must commit to survive.

You too are one of those less fortunate left in the ruins of Minerva. As you miss the last refugee shuttle, you realize that there are also others who share the same fate. You can decide to team up with each other and survive together, or try to go about it alone. Either way, you are all ordinary people.

Introduction:

Ruins of Minerva, inspired off an indie game This War of Mine, is a survival-themed roleplay based on a fictitious city of Minerva in a fictitious, English speaking country. After a group of extremist fanatics assassinate a prestigious politician that marked a beginning of a civil war, Minerva have become the focus of both the rebels and the military due to its' strategic location. The city become a husk of its former glory after 7 months of constant bombardment, but even in this hellish landscape, survivors exist.

That's where you come in.

You, huddling in the shell of what was once greatness, are to survive in the city, crafting tools and eating food during the day and scavenging off the abandoned buildings during the night. There has been rumors of an international intervention, but the dates and the details are unknown, so it is best to stock up on as much materials as possible, while watching out for the constant threat of snipers and hostile scavengers who wouldn't hesitate to kill you and take your goods.

- The time era is set to late 1990s to early 2000s, and the technological advancement should follow it.
    - No magic. This is strictly realistic. I am planning on making a magical RP after this.
    - If I really had to give Minerva and its country a place, it would probably be somewhere in the Western Europe.
    - The shelter will be given after all the characters meet each other.
    - I will create the hazards, such as sniper shots, artillery shells, hostile scavengers, raiders, etc
    - The city is about the size and density of San Francisco: a few skyscrapers in the downtown area, with a bit of rural places in the outskirts.
    - I probably will frown upon ex-military unless they are considered deserters and are on the run.

Rules:

Spoiler:

1. No metagaming - Things that are discussed out of character (OOC) should not be known to the characters in character (IC). Similarly, if you wish to discuss something RP-related or debate on an action done by a player, do it in the OOC, not IC.
    2. No god-moding - Your character is far from omnipotent, therefore you can't just give your character 20 assault rifles with enough ammunition to level a continent.
    3. Be respectful - I understand that there are going to be some arguments based on what a player has posted or made his/her character do. Just keep it constructive.
    4. You can only have one character at a time in this RP. I still don't feel well, so we shouldn't go overboard with it.
    5. By contributing to this RP with your application, you agree to be active enough to reply in a timely manner.
    6. Your character application must be realistic. I don't care if your character had the craziest of incidents, if your character has a physical trait that makes him stand out WAY too much, it is going to be denied. Trust me, this is good for your for this reason.
    7. This is the only RP that does not have magic or futuristic technology. Your character is under CONSTANT THREAT OF BEING KILLED. I repeat, your character CAN and WILL be killed if your character does something he/she does something that a normal survivor of war wouldn't do. Don't whine at me if it happens. I'm warning you now.
    8. Rules are subject to change at any time.
    ⑨. Lastly, have fun!

Character Application:

In Ruins of Minerva, you are not an elite soldier, but an ordinary citizen caught within a civil war. You may have a knack in some things based on your occupation, but other than that, you're not much.

You may only use an OC of yours, If you choose to use an appearance of an existing character, you must only use the appearance picture of the character. The rest should be an original creation.

If you don't know what items your character should be having at the beginning of the RP, here's a quick tier list to brush up on.

Spoiler:

Tier S: (Your character probably shouldn't have this at the beginning)
    - Any functional military-grade weapons and equipment
    - Any working vehicle

Tier A: (Very rare; if your character has this, I'm probably going to throw more hardship for him/her)
    - Civilian firearm such as shotgun or rifle
    - Broken/non-functional military weapons and equipments that are in disrepair but not beyond hope
    - Enough food to last for a month

Tier B: (Proper equipment for a character to call his/her most precious)
    - Large knapsack or backpack
    - Tools such as utility knife, shovel, crowbar, ax, etc...
    - Bandages
    - Painkillers and other medicinal pills

Tier C: (Everyone should have at least a little bit)
    - Components such as scraps of metal or cloth, nails, duct tape, rope, things like that
    - Small bit of food
    - Fresh water

Tier F: (These will be provided in the shelters, no need to carry these)
    - Also components listed above, just in larger quantity
    - Non-perishable food
    - Gears
    - Lumber
    - Electrical and weapon parts needed to create tools and electronics such as radio.

You shouldn't have more than 1/3 of your character's weight as your inventory.

Spoiler: Application Template

Name: ((Your character's name))

Gender: ((If you post a picture in the appearance, you don't necessarily have to put anything here.))

Appearance: ((Post a picture of your character by using imgur or other image hosting sites. If the image is large, put a spoiler around it. If you cannot find a suitable picture, give a detailed description that lists the following))
    - Height
    - Weight
    - Body measurements, if applicable
    - Hair color
    - Eye color
    - Any other unusual physical appearances

Personality: ((How are they like? Do they behave in a certain way or like doing particular activities?))

Skills: ((What particular talents do your character possess? Whether he/she is a good cook, persuasive, handy with an ax, or other things of that nature, it goes here.))

Biography: ((What is their history like? How did they come to be of what they are today? Anything that involves their past or what they do for a living.))

Traumas and Addiction: ((Is your character a smoker? Does he/she have a horrible childhood memory that they wish never to relive? Things of that nature.))

Notes: ((This is where you let us know how you feel about the RP or your Schedule. If you are busy during certain hours or anything that is useful to our RP, put it down. Also, anything else you want us to know about your character you can put in too. It's pretty much whatever you'd like us to know about you or the character.))

Accepted Characters:

Alex Rith - Kilul

Elizabeth "Liz" Hawke - Kristia

Giovanni Martello - Wriggle

Zero - Zekai

Nathan Andrew Duibhshíth - Pringles
    Last edited by WriggleRid3r; 05-19-2015, 11:29 PM.
    sigpic
    Spoiler:

Interesting idea, managed to play the game and somehow survive with my group of people, I will write an app later today, if not, by saturday morning

But I got a few questions:

1.-The shelter the group or person has can be adaptable (construction/destruction of rooms, underground stuff, etc)?

2.-Will there be the need of antagonist characters (if they want to be) or will there be hazards created by the GM?

3.-How big is the city itself? in a range from a town of few thousands or as big as something like New York?

4.-As for professions that the characters had before the war, how far can we go in terms of jobs? like ex military and other big stuff
    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

Lets keep this to oc's,huh? Also: as this is not a plot driven rp, people should worry about how to post. Just react how you might react to different things
      Sometimes I feel like the only normal person here
      "My Threshing has been Extra Princely Fresh"

Spoiler: Hazmer Baybee

Comment

Hm....... a survival rp huh? Not really into the survival type but I MIGHT give it a try.
        Last edited by Zekai; 05-08-2015, 04:04 PM.
        "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

I might also give this a try as this RP also looks interesting.

Comment

To answer the few questions:

- The shelter will be given after all the characters meet each other.
            - I will create the hazards, such as sniper shots, artillery shells, hostile scavengers, raiders, etc
            - The city is about the size and density of San Francisco: a few skyscrapers in the downtown area, with a bit of rural places in the outskirts.
            - I probably will frown upon ex-military unless they are considered deserters and are on the run.
            - Thought about what Kilel said, and I think I'll make a negotiation and say that you can only use a picture of an existing character. Rest of the aspects of the character application must be made on their own.

Adding this to OP.
            sigpic
            Spoiler:

Comment

I have a small question about the app. Where it says body measurements, for males does this mean like shirt/waist/shoe sizes and things like that? I'm sure for females it's their 3 measurements.
              "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

Yeah. This is so I can get a good measure of how large the guy is. In an RP where slight bit of mistake can mean life or death of your character, whether he/she can fit in a small gap or not is crucial.

Of course it's optional to put it.
                sigpic
                Spoiler:

Comment

Well, I went and made an app in case I do decide to join in.

Comment

@wriggle

How rual is the outskirts? Are we talkin' forests?

If so, I'm going to make a Hunter, maybe ex-military deserter for that little extra something. Deserter would add possible conflicts in the future.
                    Originally posted by S121
                    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                    sigpic

Comment

I dont know about you, but im making a day runner. Fewer people to deal with indoors and around the city, as long as you dodge the snipers.
                      Sometimes I feel like the only normal person here
                      "My Threshing has been Extra Princely Fresh"

Spoiler: Hazmer Baybee

Comment

@Pringles
                        There are some preservations that the local government has placed, but other than that, it's like what you'd expect from any old city: residential houses and occassional small commercial buildings
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:

Comment

@Wriggle

Ah. Hmm...

Do you think that a 200+ lbs Hunter with a bow, crossbow, or hunting rifle would fit? Personally, I'm thinking a bow/crossbow combo (hunting knife too, but that's standard for a Hunter to have), but if given (or allowed) a gun, he would be competent with it.

Actually, what exactly is the extent of what they are allowed to have? How much is too much? Do they start off with nothing but their clothes in the beginning?
                          Originally posted by S121
                          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                          sigpic

Comment

Firstly, in a city with density of San Francisco, a hunter might be out of place, unless you give himaa backstory of how he's from Maine or some place like that and came to Minerva to visit a friend or something, and decided to take his trusty hunting weapon of choice.

Also, for those who are also wondering how much supply your character can carry at the beginning, here's a tier list.

Tier S: (Your character probably shouldn't have this at the beginning)
                            - Any functional military-grade weapons and equipment
                            - Any working vehicle

Tier A: (Very rare; if your character has this, I'm probably going to throw more hardship for him/her)
                            - Civilian firearm such as shotgun or rifle
                            - Broken/non-functional military weapons and equipments that are in disrepair but not beyond hope
                            - Enough food to last for a month

Tier B: (Proper equipment for a character to call his/her most precious)
                            - Large knapsack or backpack
                            - Tools such as utility knife, shovel, crowbar, ax, etc...
                            - Bandages
                            - Painkillers and other medicinal pills

Tier C: (Everyone should have at least a little bit)
                            - Components such as scraps of metal or cloth, nails, duct tape, rope, things like that
                            - Small bit of food
                            - Fresh water

Tier F: (These will be provided in the shelters, no need to carry these)
                            - Also components listed above, just in larger quantity
                            - Non-perishable food
                            - Gears
                            - Lumber
                            - Electrical and weapon parts needed to create tools and electronics such as radio.

You shouldn't have more than 1/3 of your character's weight as your inventory.
                            sigpic
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Guys, I´m still working on the app for my mechanic character, I already got some basic stuff, but I´m still debating what appearance for her, so here are the ideas I have:

Spoiler:
                              http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/071/9/3/survivor_set_by_eduardogaray-d5xsakn.jpg

Spoiler:
                              https://m1.behance.net/rendition/modules/99764611/disp/dbc9ed6b7d17acccb049b122cd1248e2.jpg

Spoiler:
                              https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8c/79/21/8c7921abb520d7dce0d9a6f631cfe621.jpg

Spoiler:
                              http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/34/1365349309659.jpg

what do you think?
                              Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X