Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ This There is really no need to turn minecraft into dark souls. And making mobs run super fast and hit super hard is fake difficulty which is never fun (unless your a masochist) I also don't like the way the last mod pack, and most likely this one nurfed certain items, not for being over powered but simply for being over used. *coff solar panels coff* I get that you want us to play innovatively but we can do that without you having to remove or make certain aspects unusable. If you need proof of that just look at the last iteration of the mudpack and at everything we accomplished.

Comment

inb4 ignored/deleted thread
      w-what is this autism aura??
      if I dont gook this lolisama now..........
      our western culture will be forever....

..mememized

Comment

A good game should not be difficult. It should be effortful. The idea that by doing enough tasks, puting in effort, and working hard and efficiently, you should be able to conquer the game. What make castlevania, dark souls, super hostile, and touhou fun aren't their difficulty, but that their core mechanic is that by puting in time and effort into memorising enemy patterns, you can surpass your foes. This effort is not about grinding (unless the grinding is made to be fun), it's about thinking, planning, and observation.

Enemies that, by their very nature, surpass you in speed and damage, that attack you on their terms are not fun. They do not have critical weaknesses that you can exploit to kill them. You literally have to hide and only venture into the world far later in the game when you can even remotely handle them. You have to hide until you can face them with superior gear.

My suggestions are as follows:
        1. If you can't beat it with no armor on, it shouldn't attack you. Enemies should not try to kill you with no chance of survival.
        2. If it's an enemy in the vanilla game, you shouldn't mess with it's speed or damage output. Mojang balanced that for a reason.
        3. Lowering one's hearts increases the difficulty, not the effort. If you want to keep this mechanic, you must be able to gain hearts by quests, by crafting, or by spending exp. Three things that the player has direct control over.

Read this: http://lesswrong.com/lw/ww/high_challenge/
        Then some of these: http://lesswrong.com/lw/xy/the_fun_theory_sequence/

I like: Cake, more cake, lots of cake, coffee cake, blueberry cake, chocolate cake, vanilla cake, crumb cake, bundt cake, carrot cake, wedding cake, birthday cake, soap cakes, sponge cakes, yellow cake, Pineapple upside-down cake, rice cakes, crab cakes, angel food cakes, pancakes, cupcakes, cheesecake, pound cake, devil's food cake, black forest cake, Cake the band, fruit cake, ice-cream cake, German chocolate cake, shortcake, teacake, cake mix, and Nazrin.

Comment

It's a good thing that this is only the beta, Katrix, because considering what people are posting here, you seriously do need to listen to the people who want to play on it. But that begs a couple important questions. What is the ultimate goal you are trying to achieve with this RTY, and what will be done so that you have a playerbase that will want to keep coming back?

These are important questions because they can't be answers by a simple "If it's too easy, it's not fun."

Let me tell you something. The TEMP server, which has zero mods, is on EASY mode, and is an amplified roofed forest biome world, is LOADS of fun for a lot of the people since we've been out of the main server. Now, there are people like me who just don't die, and there are people like SuperTouhou64 and qscgukp who die quite often.

But it's fun.

Why is it fun? Not because it's too hard. On the contrary, it's not hard at all, but it's interesting. The terrain is absolutely stunning because it's an amplified world, and it's also on the latest snapshot to allow players to play with the new blocks. Plus since it's a roofed forest world, there are plenty of chances to find woodland mansions. Are there issues? Of course. If you venture too far out and load brand new chunks, it lags the server, and sometimes crashes for a few seconds. Nobody likes it, but there's nothing we can do about it since Nazrin is doing this out of the goodness of his heart. He doesn't have to host a temp server while the main one is down, so there's not really much issue to complain about.

Back to RTY. It really seems like your goal is to make it super challenging and difficult because mods make the game easy. Well there's no point to the mods if you can't even get to that point to begin with. Even if you manage, do the mods make it easy, or just tolerable? This is where balance comes into play. Games like Touhou have different difficulties because not everybody plays on lunatic, but for something like a server, you need a balance since everyone will be playing the same difficulty. Your average player should be somewhat capable of playing Minecraft on MAYBE normal mode. If it's harder than regular Minecraft, then it's too hard in general. Think about the YC community and its players. We are not all superhuman. Even I think this is too challenging based on what I have heard from people, and I haven't played on it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyros_Lugoth View Post
            Now, there are people like me who just don't die, and there are people like SuperTouhou64 and qscgukp who die quite often.
            or you can be me and die because you haven't legitimately played survival for so long you're unaware that armor got nerfed and get over-confident because beforehand, iron armor was all you needed
            I would be fine with no armor if fucking skeletons didn't get god-tier at combat
            but that's enough of that, el no derail pls

in other news, let's describe RTY 3 in its current state
            Last edited by Teshno; 05-09-2017, 03:26 AM. Reason: adding meme

..mememized

Comment

Let me play devil's advocate here. Having actually played the modpack, I can say there is definately tons of potential. It's only like 3 or 4 mods out of the 100 or so that are causing 90% of the problems. If you remove Boss Mobs, Tough as Nails, and Spice of life, it becomes a pretty fun modpack. From what I've been told, these mods are supposed to balance out features that will eventually be in Danmaku Core and Grimoire of Alice. However both of these mods are incomplete and don't have those features.

I agree that we need more communication, but we don't need a witch trial guys. I'm sorry but looking at this thread right now makes me think it's going to be difficult to get a peaceful resolution out of this.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

Okay, so let's go over a few of the points brought up here.

First of, hearts and starting point. It's true that you do spawn with less hearts than normal, however, there are a number of things that are not true here. First of, you get a starter kit that gives you an iron sword, shield, bow, 64 arrows, lots of food, full chain armor, a matchbox, and a lifeblood crystal. Now, maybe some of you went on the server and didn't receive this starter kit. Why was that? Well, the firstJoinSpawn thingy isn't working completely yet, because it's a BETA, so in the meantime I've been manually giving the starter kit to people.

Now for the hearts themselves, yes it's true that you need to find them in the nether fortress, no it's not true that you can't find them elsewhere. You can find them in mineshafts, in desert pyramids, in igloos, in jungle temples, in vanilla dungeons, and yes, in nether fortresses. If the spawnrate is too low, I'm willing to add to it. If you have a good idea for a recipe for getting the hearts, then I welcome it. What is a good recipe then? Something that promotes the same feeling of exploring the area. Who knows, maybe I might even change out the mod that does health handling. RTY 3 previously used other features that ToughAsNails gave, but I've turned most of them off as time as moved on.

I have no ability to change vanilla mobs in this modpack. There are elite(boss) mobs around, which 1/30 mobs are, off those elites, 1/7 is even stronger, and 1/7 of those are even stronger again. If the spawnrate is too common, I'm willing to decrease it, like I did yesterday when it was at 1/15, because I didn't know they spawned this frequently. Why didn't I know, because it's in BETA, which is where stuff like this is caught.

Hardcore darkness can be a pain yes, BUT, outside it will never become completely dark, and on a full moon, it will be as bright as normal minecraft (was brighter for a little bit before released here, but it looked stupid). In addition to that, you can also hold torches to provide light. Yes the dynamic light is crappy at the moment, and yes, I'm changing it for something better for the next version.

I don't know of any connectivity issues. If you're talking about frequent crashes, then yes, I did underestimate how much ram the modpack would use on a server with 6 or more people on. That was something I intended to find out in the BETA. I might fork out some more money to get a better server, or I might wait for Remi to be capable of hosting the beta server, as was the initial plan.

As for mods are broken, it's a BETA, of course they are. I'd love to hear what's broken so that I can fix it.

Danmaku isn't finished yes, I agree to that, that's because the ALL touhou mods are currently BETA. Before I took time to write this post, I was working on the code for making sure you don't spawn with 0 lives and mobs, because no, that's not intended. Yes, I'll look at actually adding a crafting recipe for the danmaku crafting table, which I forgot to do.

Let me tell you about a modpack that I worked on with a few other people a bit less than 2 years ago. What mods and stuff did it have? Well it had Lycanites mobs, super strong vanilla mobs (stronger than RTY), broken mods that would constantly crash you, mobs that burnt down all the trees around spawn and completely lagged the server, it had mffs that crashed the server or didn't work properly, touhou stuff in the form of a JavaScript mod thing, and lots and lots and lots of other problems. What modpack was that? It was the RTY 2.2 BETA.

This is a beta too, remember that, mods are still being added to, removed from and created for the modpack. This is a way for me to put something out, see what works, and what doesn't, and then go from there. It is NOT a view of something that will be roughly the same as this when it's released. It might be, or things might change.
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                someone is fighting for you.
                –As long as you remember her,
                you are not alone.

Comment

I don't think anyone is missing the point of it being a BETA
                  It's the point that nobody asked for this

Originally posted by Shimitty View Post
                  I agree that we need more communication, but we don't need a witch trial guys. I'm sorry but looking at this thread right now makes me think it's going to be difficult to get a peaceful resolution out of this.
                  refer to text above quote
                  --
                  I'll throw a little bit extra down here. You see, I loved the original RTY. It was an amazingly fun modpack that I got to experience with old friends and made new friends with it. Then later, RTY 2 came along. I gave it a shot because the original was so great. You know what I got? A piece of dog shit with "urr te y xD" thrown in my face. What made RTY good was completely ditched in favor of something else that nobody wanted. I can't pinpoint the exact charm the original had, but I can bet your ass you didn't even try with 3 like you didn't try with 2. That's why I'm personally not going to bother trying it myself. You ruined what RTY was in 2 and from the looks of it, you did an even worse job in 3. Stop trying to change what it is. The original was good for a reason, quit ignoring everybody like always and find out what that reason is or give the project up for the better.
                  Last edited by Teshno; 05-09-2017, 01:28 PM.

..mememized

Comment

Vote for what should happen with hard mods
                    http://www.strawpoll.me/12931649
                    Born in the light.
                    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                    Keep Fighting.
                    –Don't Forget.
                    Always, somewhere,
                    you are not alone.

Comment

RTY 3 0.3 Changelog
                      Removed Bloodmoon
                      Added OpenGlider
                      Added Literal Ascension
                      Added Astral Sorcery (hope this will slightly fill the void that Thaumcraft left)
                      Added Large Veins
                      Redid configs a bit more again (had a problem where configs weren't being applied properly, stuff like food, terrain generation, boss mobs and more should have their configs applied now)
                      Boss mobs spawn less
                      Updated DanmakuCore
                      -Lives and bombs have defaults
                      -Entities take more damage from non danmaku stuff
                      -More stuff
                      Updated other mods
                      Probably other stuff I've forgotten
                      Born in the light.
                      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                      Keep Fighting.
                      –Don't Forget.
                      Always, somewhere,
                      you are not alone.

Comment

Is there any way to disable Astral Sorcery's sky effects? It's causing my shaders to go crazy.
                        Last edited by DariruKuro; 05-09-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Seeing as how I was there when Katrix actually communicated with everyone else today about problems with the modpack, I'm going to note from here on out that responses from people who are not actively playing the RTY 3 beta are to be considered null.

The miscommunication is resolved. Don't let it resurrect.
                          Otherwise, you're going to be getting a stern word from me.

..mememized

Comment

Somewhat related to my previous post: does everyone playing like Hardcore Darkness? I dont personally, but if multiple people like it i wont complain too much; and if not, can we see about removing it?

Comment

Originally posted by DariruKuro View Post
                              Somewhat related to my previous post: does everyone playing like Hardcore Darkness? I dont personally, but if multiple people like it i wont complain too much; and if not, can we see about removing it?
                              If it's what makes everything pitch fucking black, I hate it already and I only have, at most, half an hour in.

..mememized

Comment

Originally posted by Katrix View Post
                                RTY 3 0.3 Changelog
                                Removed Bloodmoon
                                Added OpenGlider
                                Added Literal Ascension
                                Added Astral Sorcery (hope this will slightly fill the void that Thaumcraft left)
                                Added Large Veins
                                Redid configs a bit more again (had a problem where configs weren't being applied properly, stuff like food, terrain generation, boss mobs and more should have their configs applied now)
                                Boss mobs spawn less
                                Updated DanmakuCore
                                -Lives and bombs have defaults
                                -Entities take more damage from non danmaku stuff
                                -More stuff
                                Updated other mods
                                Probably other stuff I've forgotten
                                -removed bloodmoon

I had no problem with that at all, why remove something that wasn't mentioned in the meeting?
                                "If I cut the strings that held me hostage would i fall and shatter?"

Comment

Working...
                                X