Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions, fixes and imporvements for RTY

@tr
    Using mystcraft doesn't simulate the same challenge of surviving in a 0 atmosphere environment.

And yes, I can see how you can go up once an just use link books, but the main challenge remains: you have to get there first and have to have the stuff needed to survive.

Besides, i want to make a Death Star~

@katrix
    I think it would be the same analogy as climbing Mt. Everest
    Why climb it?
    Because it's there.

Can't exactly climb it if it ain't there.

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cucoo5; 06-23-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

There's also a space exploration mod based around IC2, but I think it's dependant on Computercraft (I personally find CC pretty cheaty, almost entirely because Turtles).

As an alternative to Extra Bees, what about Gendustry? It adds the machines without the bloat of potentially-controversial bees (although more powerful ones have drawbacks, they're still a pretty easy resource farm). Additionally, it also works with tree and butterfly breeding, and would give an extra use for Uranium, which is presently pretty much only for the high-end solar panels, or super-dangerous reactors.

Comment

I still have to place my votes for at least Better Dungeons since we can use mystcraft to find it, especially if we'll have to be doing it for forestry and Harvest stuff anyway. It'll give people something to want to go out and explore.
        Last edited by Quixe; 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Guess this will be the only thing I can do while on vacation. Well, let's get on with it.

@Cucoo

I can see that you can't "climb" it if it isn't there, but here is the question. How big us it going to be? Will it be the next Thaumcraft, or will there only be 2-3 people max going there?

@Quixe

There is a difference between generation for forestry and generation for Better dungeons. If you don't get generation for Forestry, alright sad, but still lots to do. That argument is a bit weaker for harvest, but it is still there. As for better dungeons tough, you can't do ANYTHING pretty much. Besides, we already have a place to go explore, Twilight Forest. Here is a good analogy for why generation breaks Better dungeons. Imagine Twilight Forest, but without it's dimension.
          Born in the light.
          Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
          Keep Fighting.
          –Don't Forget.
          Always, somewhere,
          someone is fighting for you.
          –As long as you remember her,
          you are not alone.

Comment

I'm not sure I see the problem with Better Dungeons. o_O

If you look at it as something that needs to spawn in the Overworld, then yes, that's a problem. On the other hand, if it's taken as just "optional exploration content", then there's no problem with having to use Mystcraft to access it. In fact, that might be preferable to having it in the overworld, since it means it's unlikely/unable to get in the way of anyone's builds, and no one has to deal with the problem of everything being looted already. Bear in mind that Mystcraft's Ages are dynamically generated. So there's never a point where you have to worry about old generation getting in the way. When made, an Age will always use the most current generation rules...which I think is Quixe's point. If you only look at Mystcraft as a way to fast travel and gather resources, then sure, it's hax. However, it's also a powerful tool for setting up bases with just the right surroundings, and for exploring without having to go out thousands of blocks to find the right biome/ungenerated terrain. Looked at that way, it's possible to say it would be an ideal use of Mystcraft, possibly both mods.

(Also, giving Quixe more things to do is in my best interest, so I don't get boredomslapped. XD)

As an alternative, what about the Ruins mod maintained by AtomicStryker? He is apparently fine with private modpacks. It should be even less of a problem to have in new generation than Better Dungeons, since it only adds structure generation, not new items or blocks. Again, though, I'm not sure either of these really does pose any problem. Unlike most mods, which are there to give you something to make/use, their primary purpose is giving you something to find/look for. Having to go out looking harder for their content would, as I see it, be considered a plus for either in most cases, since finding the added content is in itself the "payoff", rather than what you can do with what you find (though they do, of course, make what you find at least occasionally useful). To put it a different way, "It's about the journey, not the destination.".

On a semi-unrelated note, can we set up some sort of Mystcraft recycling service? I have at least one Age I doubt I'll be returning to, and I can't be the only one. It would be nice if we could turn in our unwanted Descriptive Books somewhere, and have those dimensions deleted something like once every week or two (books destroyed after, of course), instead of having Dim IDs and map data for places no one will ever go taking up space. Just a thought.
            Last edited by KassuriBard; 06-27-2014, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KassuriBard View Post
              I'm not sure I see the problem with Better Dungeons. o_O

If you look at it as something that needs to spawn in the Overworld, then yes, that's a problem. On the other hand, if it's taken as just "optional exploration content", then there's no problem with having to use Mystcraft to access it. In fact, that might be preferable to having it in the overworld, since it means it's unlikely/unable to get in the way of anyone's builds, and no one has to deal with the problem of everything being looted already. Bear in mind that Mystcraft's Ages are dynamically generated. So there's never a point where you have to worry about old generation getting in the way. When made, an Age will always use the most current generation rules...which I think is Quixe's point. If you only look at Mystcraft as a way to fast travel and gather resources, then sure, it's hax. However, it's also a powerful tool for setting up bases with just the right surroundings, and for exploring without having to go out thousands of blocks to find the right biome/ungenerated terrain. Looked at that way, it's possible to say it would be an ideal use of Mystcraft, possibly both mods.

(Also, giving Quixe more things to do is in my best interest, so I don't get boredomslapped. XD)
              Beware the boredom slaps, for I am the bringer of FLIMFLAM!

Comment

@katrix

To answer that question we would need a poll.

On another note, forgot to mention Modular Forcefields

(I'll edit in which version)

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I recently experienced what I think was a bug where I was unable to gain experience. The only reason I'm not sure whether it was a bug or not is because I don't know half of what some of the mods in this pack do.

I'm not sure what caused it, and I haven't tried replicating it, so all I can do is recount the circumstances before it happened. I currently have a cobblestone wall outside of my nether portal to trap the mobs that come through. Once some number accumulate, I go kill them off because of the noise they make. Because of their close proximity to the nether portal, maybe half of their drops, including exp, go to the nether when I kill them. When I finally did go back through my portal, a lot of exp had accumulated; enough to boost me from ~level 26 to level 41. So I went and spent 30 of those levels on an enchantment, but then found myself stuck at level 11 with no way to accumulate additional exp. It wasn't just a visual glitch, as re-logging and restarting didn't fix it, nor did multiple trips to the nether and back (I only include this because I believe there have been bugs with vanilla minecraft in the past that caused exp to be affected in some way by trips to the nether). The only way I was able to get out of this state was by killing myself, which fixed the issue once I respawned.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post about this. If it isn't, please tell me so I know for the future.

Pillow676

Comment

Hi guys,

I'm here to ask you guys if we could add the statues mod to the FTB server.

This entire thing is for nothing more than decoration, but I thought it's be a nice addition to the server.
                    As is said on the linked forum page, the author doesn't require people to ask for permission if we want to add this mod to the server.
                    Please take this into consideration.

From 99465 (Leon)
                    Last edited by 99465; 07-04-2014, 03:29 PM.
                    Originally posted by Mogeko
                    Yummy prosciutto! Praise be to prosciutto!
                    Originally posted by Lord Prosciutto
                    Praise be to prosciutto.
                    ..... I forgive the sin of all Mogeko.
                    Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

my own thoughts on some of these:

Extra utilities: i fucking love this mod here, it brings in a whole new realm to explore and some pretty sweet items to boot as well. I have no qualms if this is added or not

Ender storage: this is a good mod, however there is a problem with the trade system involving friendermen where they only accept the vanilla ender chest and that is nulled out by the new ender chests, so i'm a bit skeptic on this.

Advanced genetics: as fun as this mod is, it's extremely OP and very unbalanced. I don't want to see this mod in the game at all, it's too game-breaking.

Rotarycraft: it's a good mod, but it does rely on some world generation and some other item-based things to operate it. however if it's used right then it can be a very useful mod, but personally i'd rather not see it in the game.

Balancing Mystcraft: i'd like to see some balance to the mystcraft mod. it's a lot of fun to create a world and explore it without other factors played into it. example: i made a world where i conduct a lot of touhou item tests. it also has crystals in it which are pretty useful.

Tinkerer's construct: it's definitely unstable and it's also slightly unbalanced as i remember making items that would down the wither in a few good hits (or even one if i had strength 3) it's a very fun mod but it's indeed unbalanced.

Comment

@ Cucoo5
                        Wow your icon perfectly represents my feelings towards all the arguments about things being OP when we have mods in now that will pretty much play the game for you.

@Katrix
                        Originally posted by Katrix View Post
                        Tinkers Construct - Remi heard that it was kind of unstable as of late. Sorry

Pam's Harvest - Remi will add this one to replace Food Plus as soon as possible from what I've heard.

Rougelike Dungeons - Relieas very heavily on world generation

Ars Magica - Generation problems?

@Quixe

There is a difference between generation for forestry and generation for Better dungeons. If you don't get generation for Forestry, alright sad, but still lots to do. That argument is a bit weaker for harvest, but it is still there. As for better dungeons tough, you can't do ANYTHING pretty much. Besides, we already have a place to go explore, Twilight Forest. Here is a good analogy for why generation breaks Better dungeons. Imagine Twilight Forest, but without it's dimension.
                        Tinker's Construct: 1.7.2 verisions are unstable due to the addition of the Mantle library they made. As far as I've seen pretty much all 1.6.4 versions I've seen are perfectly stable

Pam's Harvestcraft: A good mod but relies on generation for some of it's applications. Luckily Mystcraft easily solves that option.

Roguelike Dungeons: Mystcraft flat worlds can be used to create rogue dungeon worlds rather easily. Fixing the generation issues.

Ars Magica 2: Again Mystcraft fixes the generation issue by allowing one to generate new private worlds to allow one to get resources they need or even fight bosses without risk of damaging more of the overworld.

Since most of what the second bit was was already adressed above the arguement between Better Dungeons is simple!

1. Better Dungeons are meat grinders meant to go in groups or you'll get absolutely wrecked with certain loot they give you encouraging cooperative adventures by allowing you to more easily buff or heal others.

2. Giant pirateships with pirates that'll spawn their own boats, like the wooden ones we can make, to chase after you. Three it adds more loot and more toys for the toychest for players to experiment if they get bored and want to try different tactics.

3. Dungeons are just fun to find. Hearing, seeing and exploring even small ones is a big rush and can add fun to otherwise bland/failed Mystcraft books or even travelling across the ocean.

4. The loot you can get from that is actually worth a damn unlike the staves and the like you get from Lycanite's

5. The loot is more varied and plentiful again allowing players to play cooperatively other than going to the Twilight Forest and then having everyone screw each other for the uber rare drop or boss trophy.

6. Once you've killed one of each boss, excluding the broken WIP goblin knights, There's not much really left to do except find quest ramsother than going through dungeons for more armor to uncraft.

And what would Twilight Forest be without it's own dimension? Well frankly Twilight forest is one of the only mods I've ever thought needed it's own dimension. It's rather huge and exciting the first time you go through raiding every dungeon you see but then again you asked me what it would be without it's own dimension? A well crafted Mystcraft age.
                        Last edited by Quixe; 07-06-2014, 10:23 PM. Reason: Responding

Comment

I don't know if this was already posted...
                          I'd like the hats mod added for aesthetics
                          http://ichun.us/mods/hats/
                          It'd be cool to wear a troll mask the entire time

Comment

@ Phantom

Mystcraft is already under fire because people keep saying it is OP.

I'll mention something I've dug into trying to figure out alternative methods to nerfing it without completely removing the pages that make it really useful to the filthy casuals like me

Ok so I've been going through my head for alternative methods on how to work out Mystcraft so that some pages/symbols could be kept.

The first concept is this part of the core.cfg

Spoiler:

####################
                            # instability
                            ####################

instability {
                            D:fluid.aluminum.molten.instability.perblock=0.100 00000149011612
                            D:fluid.aluminumbrass.molten.instability.perblock= 0.10000000149011612
                            D:fluid.alumite.molten.instability.perblock=0.1000 0000149011612
                            D:fluid.ardite.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.blood.instability.perblock=0.1000000014901 1612
                            D:fluid.bronze.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.coal.instability.perblock=0.10000000149011 612
                            D:fluid.cobalt.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.copper.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.creosote.instability.perblock=0.1000000014 9011612
                            D:fluid.cryotheum.instability.perblock=0.100000001 49011612
                            D:fluid.electrum.molten.instability.perblock=0.100 00000149011612
                            D:fluid.emerald.liquid.instability.perblock=0.1000 0000149011612
                            D:fluid.ender.instability.perblock=0.1000000014901 1612
                            D:"fluid.factorization:fluid/steam.instability.perblock"=0.10000000149011612
                            D:fluid.fluxgoo.instability.perblock=0.10000000149 011612
                            D:fluid.fuel.instability.perblock=0.10000000149011 612
                            D:fluid.glass.molten.instability.perblock=0.100000 00149011612
                            D:fluid.glowstone.instability.perblock=0.100000001 49011612
                            D:fluid.glue.instability.perblock=0.10000000149011 612
                            D:fluid.gold.molten.instability.perblock=0.1000000 0149011612
                            D:fluid.ic2.blockfluidcf.instability.perblock=0.10 000000149011612
                            D:fluid.ic2.blockfluidcoolant.instability.perblock =0.10000000149011612
                            D:fluid.ic2.blockfluiduumatter.instability.perbloc k=0.10000000149011612
                            D:fluid.invar.molten.instability.perblock=0.100000 00149011612
                            D:fluid.iron.molten.instability.perblock=0.1000000 0149011612
                            D:fluid.lead.molten.instability.perblock=0.1000000 0149011612
                            D:fluid.manyullyn.molten.instability.perblock=0.10 000000149011612
                            D:fluid.myst.ink.black.instability.perblock=0.1000 0000149011612
                            D:fluid.nickel.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.obsidian.molten.instability.perblock=0.100 00000149011612
                            D:fluid.oil.instability.perblock=0.100000001490116 12
                            D:fluid.platinum.molten.instability.perblock=0.100 00000149011612
                            D:fluid.pyrotheum.instability.perblock=0.100000001 49011612
                            D:fluid.redstone.instability.perblock=0.1000000014 9011612
                            D:fluid.silver.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000 000149011612
                            D:fluid.slime.blue.instability.perblock=0.10000000 149011612
                            D:fluid.steam.instability.perblock=0.1000000014901 1612
                            D:fluid.steel.molten.instability.perblock=0.100000 00149011612
                            D:fluid.stone.seared.instability.perblock=0.100000 00149011612
                            D:fluid.tile.lava.instability.perblock=0.100000001 49011612
                            D:fluid.tile.water.instability.perblock=0.10000000 149011612
                            D:fluid.tin.molten.instability.perblock=0.10000000 149011612
                            }

If this is what I think it is, then I would assume it would be possible to add things like

B:modmat_tile.orecoal
                            B:modmat_tile.orediamond
                            B:modmat_tile.oregold
                            B:modmat_tile.oreiron

to this section so that they create instability (and therefore make it harder to use.)

i.e. Diamond Ore is given a value so that it has a greater chance of generating instability such as the decay or even meteor or crumble.

Another method is from the wiki
                            (but would be less favorable for simple creative purposes.)
                            Spoiler:

"Eliminate the writing desk. If you disable the writing desk in the config, then there is no way to make copies of symbols that you find.

With no way to duplicate symbols, then suddenly, getting even two dozen diamond blocks from symbols that took you many hours to find? Not only is that not even a blip on the imbalance scale, you will probably want to write a lot more carefully. The amount of instability generated depends on the amount of materials generated by what you write. Instead of common, easy to find tendrils that are everywhere, you might search for symbols that will generate fewer, harder to find deposits, so that you get fewer harmful effects. You might decide that you want specific forms of hazards – as an example, Charged will generate lightning as an instability. Deliberately choosing an instability only gives you half the benefit – so trying to use lighting to balance diamonds won't work unless the diamond structure is small and far between.

This simple change – removing the writing desk – solves all balance issues of the materials being found in ages."
                            Spoiler:

On a side note I actually like the premise of removing the writing desk because it was fun to try and hunt down that diamond page... This would make it a continual hunt but...then you have to hunt down other pages like certain biome pages or things like directional or weather or various other aesthetic pages... which is detrimental to the creative aspect. now if it was possible to disable the duplication of specific pages...then I think that would really make things interesting. But alas I don't think that is possible (unless I'm blind and missed that part of the config files)

Oh and this version of modular force fields is what I was thinking on.
                            Last edited by Cucoo5; 07-07-2014, 12:29 AM.

Comment

There is another option with Mystcraft. It's actually possible for Mystcraft's difficulty to be set independently from game difficulty. So, for example, the overall difficulty can be on Normal, but Mystcraft will calculate instability based on the (less forgiving) values for Hard. Point is, between control over symbols, instability for certain materials, and difficulty override, it's actually possible to adjust the balance quite a bit, even without disabling features.

Comment

So, I see there is a lot to do here. Tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to answer most questions and look at what I have missed, both RP and modpack.

As for Mystcraft, no matter what, those ore symbols are not going back in. They're gone, and they'll stay gone.

As for Better Dungeons, I guess I'll look into it and try it a little to see how it goes.

@Cucoo

If MFFS ever was implemented, I would totally go for Calclavia.

@Nuclear
                                Hats, maybe. I guess they're fun.
                                Born in the light.
                                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                                Keep Fighting.
                                –Don't Forget.
                                Always, somewhere,
                                someone is fighting for you.
                                –As long as you remember her,
                                you are not alone.

Comment