Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@SUSTIC

How about Add, Eggman, or Shadow?

@Katrix

Do you think Org XIII would be upset if they saw that, even if they are not supposed to have true emotions? That might at least trigger some form of emotion.

@Zekai

That might be hard, depending on how long it takes to burn through all that information, but I'll see if I can. It will most definitely be hard, but I'll try.

@Kristia

True. You see, I like Isaac because you actually begin to feel bad for him. Isaac deserves a break, but so far his luck has been horrible.

Anyways, here's John's analysis. I'll also be sure to think up of questions for you. This is all very interesting stuff to think about.

When you hear about John on the internet, you usually hear about how flat he is as a character, how he is just a stereotypical "Space Marine" with no personality and no substance. Despite what most people say, John is perhaps the most complex Character I have ever RPed and has many, many layers to his psyche. In fact, it's arguable that John is the most complex Character in the RP, although I'm probably being biased with that statement.

You see, there are at least three layers to his psyche, each one more complex than the last.

On the surface, John is somewhat cold and taciturn. Those that barely know him might even regard him as a human-turned-machine, and unfeeling killing machine, and to a degree, they might even be right. John has a sense of honor and duty, and when the chips are down and all hope seems lost, you can count on him to rise to the occasion and do the impossible to defend those he has sworn to protect to his last breath.

Underneath that is a war between two parts of John; one being his SPARTAN mentality, and the other being his humanity. He was trained to show no fear, to kill and to protect, yet that training alienated himself from what he is, a human being. Due to the training, he exhibits sociopathic tendencies in the sense that he has a hard time relating to anyone, has a hard time understanding the emotions of others, has a hard time showing emotions in general, and distances himself from people. One example would be him barely regarding the feelings of one of the researchers in Halo 4, when he was attempting to blow up The Composer. It was only at the end when he showed at least some acknowledgement to the scientist's emotions.

Spoiler:
    John-117: "The device you recovered was a Forerunner weapon. The commander of that ship wants it back."
    Tillson hesitates and turns back to John as the room starts descending.

Tillson: "Wants it back? You don't think you can remove… it can't leave this station, you know that, right?"
    John-117: "We don't have any choice, doctor."
    Tillson: (shaking her head) "It's not a matter of choice. It took three months, and the biggest starship the UNSC could throw at it just to relocate it here. Unless you're a lot stronger than you look, it's not going anywhere."
    The room descends enough to allow the two a view of the Composer. A spotlight shines on the extremely large artifact. Cut back to the two.

John-117: "Can you give Cortana access to the station's supply manifest?"
    Tillson walks back to the control panel.

Tillson: "What for?"
    She starts typing into the panel. John continues to look at the Composer.

John-117: "If we can't move the Composer, we have to make sure the Didact can't either."
    Tillson stops, looks up and back at John.

Sandra Tillson: "Oh wait… we have years of work invested here."
    Cortana: "Inventory lists Seven excavation-grade Havok mines. Just one of those would turn this base into a piñata."
    Tillson looks at John in entreatingly.

John-117: "I'm sorry, doctor. Keep routing your people to the evac centers. Once we take care of the Composer, you won't have much time."
    Tillson hesitates again and looks down resignedly, in deep thought.

Sandra Tillson: (barely composed) "I'll… make sure the nukes are primed so you can detonate them remotely."
    John turns and begins walking out of the room.

Sandra Tillson: (sadly) "Maybe next time you rescue us, you can give us more time to pack?"
    John turns to listen to her. He nods.

John-117: "Next time."

As you can see, John was cold to Tilson until the very end. SPARTAN-IIs, by their nature, are very quiet and only focus on the mission at hand. They all keep to themselves and only talk to each other, albeit not as much as a normal person would. In a sense, they are more machine than human, and John struggles with this on a daily basis. On one hand, he is a SPARTAN-II, a role that requires him to be completely and utterly objective to the world around him, save for the mission at hand, yet at the same time, he can't help but feel. Even though he may not always seem to be it, he is still human. He seems to try and shut out his humanity, but he has recently realized what Cortana had meant about him needing to figure out which of them was the human.

If you look deeper, you will actually find something interesting. You see, John feels more than just a sense of honor and duty, he actually cares about those he's sworn to protect, although he's not good at showing it. He shows exceptional care for those under his command, and will put his life on the line in a single instant for those under his protection. Despite his cold nature, he cares about people he doesn't even know. One example would be when John and the other SPARTANs failed to defend a particular planet from The Covenant. After the mission, John requested to watch as countless people were killed and reduced to ashes. He felt as if he failed them and wanted to stay and watch so that the entire ordeal would serve as a reminder to him that he could not fail again. In fact, he cares so much about those he protects that when he witnessed the slaughtering of innocent civilians by the hands of The Covenant, John went into a merciless rage and ensured that every member of the Covenant in that location was dead. He witnessed many of his fellow soldiers and SPARTAN-IIs die, and mourned each one of them. With some of them, he even felt horrified by what had happened to them, like when one of his fellow SPARTAN-IIs had suffered horrible injures from a barrage of plasmafire. He sometimes considers his teammates as more of a liability than an asset, but that is only because he fears for their lives instead of them being burdens to him. He is scared of them dying. In fact, John was so afraid of the fact that Cortana was going through Rampancy that he refused to acknowledge that she wouldn't make it. Instead, he was adamant that he would find a way to keep her alive, refusing to listen to Cortana. Every time her inevitable death was brought up by Cortana, John would remain silent and would try and dodge the issue, even going so far as ignoring her.

At the same time, he shows an incredible drive for success, and tries as hard as he can to win in games and certain situations. He has a dry sense of humor, hates "flip music" (essentially heavy metal), and gets nervous and slightly insecure when put into the spotlight.

From all that I have said, we can see just how complex a character he really is, what makes him tick. We can see that he is more than just some emotionless "Space Marine" (he's actually part of The Navy), he is a person that struggles with himself. if you really think about it, his most difficult challenge is not stopping the Insurrectionists, the Covenant, the Forerunners, or even the Flood, it's dealing with himself.

That's why I like John as a character. He's a Character that seems overrated by many and is said to have as much personality as a cardboard box, but when you look below the surface, you begin to see how complex he really is, how interesting he truly is as a character.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

well utsuh, the chief (even from the first game) has been the "super soldier" from the outside while he has his own struggles on the inside.

We see that also in the second game when he leaves Cortana in the great charity, but the third game is the one that shows his more human side. He is direct with the mission, but always searched for Cortana.The fourth game also shows how the human side cracks the soldier carcass when he declines a direct order and actually faces the Infinity´s leader (don´t know his rank) prepared to protect his friend.

So I look at John as someone who is beginning to actually see the world, not from a visor, but from his eyes
      Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

@Zekai

Sometimes, watching them is not enough. At the end of the show, surely you are left with a good amount of lines already connected, but you are always bound to have some lone points too as long as the character is realistic. Homura from PPMM is a good example of that.

Spoiler:

While Homura might seem like a pretty good person for the most of the show, wanting desperately to save Madoka, the truth isn't that nice. Initially and mostly troughout the series you see two sides of Homura. The "Evil" side that tried to stop Madoka from becomeing a magical girl however she can, and the "Good" side, trying to save Madoka from dying because she became a magical girl. At first glance, when the "good" side is introduced, you think you were all wrong about how she was all evil. After all, she was just trying to protect Madoka. That's the thing tough, you are so focused on Madoka that you don't see what she thinks of the others, and this is only subtly shown in some of the scenes. What you don''t realize is that the bad side still applies, maybe more than ever. You onlyb see that bad side in a few scenes and as part as a few quotes. This just isn't something that you can realize after watching the show just one time, maybe you'll notice it around the third time if you're good.
        Born in the light.
        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
        Keep Fighting.
        –Don't Forget.
        Always, somewhere,
        someone is fighting for you.
        –As long as you remember her,
        you are not alone.

Comment

@Kristia

Captain Del Rio was the guy John essentially said "No Sir" to. That was a simple, yet awesome line.

I think you're right about him with the humanity slowly shining through. 343 even said that they wanted to delve into John's personality in Halo 4, and it shows. It makes me wonder how John will be in Halo 5: Guardians. Just how will he hold out? Will he be completely mentally broken, or will he continue on?

We'll only be able to tell when the game comes out.
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

@S121

It's kind of hard to say, while some of them I am completely sure would remain completely untouched, others would be harder to anticipate. The thing that makes it hard is that they are completely capable of feeling emotions, it's just that they all have big poker faces or similair.
            Born in the light.
            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
            Keep Fighting.
            –Don't Forget.
            Always, somewhere,
            you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix

Ahh, I see. They do have emotions, yet they are good at pretty much turning them off, right?

I think they would be completely unamused by the slash art of them. If anything, it might just make them more adamant about fulfilling Xehanort's goal of remaking the universe, one where images like those don't exist.
              sigpic

Comment

@S121

Kind of, it's like having a off switch for your emotions, that is by default off. The thing is tough that they don't know that they have emotions. Thus you can say that they might have forgotten where the on switch is.

Another analogy that could be used is to say that their emotions is like a broken wire that only transmit signal, and only sometimes. As the wire get more used, it grows stronger.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                Born in the light.
                Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                Keep Fighting.
                –Don't Forget.
                Always, somewhere,
                you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix

Ahh, I see.

It's interesting to see different layers, or at least the inner mechanisms of the Characters' psyches, wouldn't you say? For the Org members, they do show depth, more depth than I originally thought. To be honest, I thought they were kind of shadows, or simply extensions of Xehanort and nothing more.
                  sigpic

Comment

well people, its 4 am and meds taking effect

whatever questions I need to answer, please PM me or post them, I shall answer them when I can

good night
                    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

Night Kristy.

Sent by Tapatalk
                      "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

I could try to do a analysis of Riku tough.

At first glance Riku might seem to be that tough guy that beats everyone at anything and so on. He also doesn't slack of too much, always working towards a goal.

Something to note about him is that he doesn't like being constrained or hindered in any way. If he does something, he believes in that choice. A example of that is that he always wanted to get of the island that he played on and explore somewhere more exciting.

Riku is always in search of strength, not for his own good, but to protect the things that matter. At this area, he have pretty much no stop. If he had to climb down to hell and make a pact with the devil, he would do so. After he had done that, first then he would begin the journey out of hell.

He is at the beginning of the games shown to be a little bit too curious. Due to this and a few other things, tricking him can be quite easy.

Something that is worth mentioning is that he have good amount of pride. A few good examples of this is for example when he first learned that he was the Keyblade's chosen one, that when taking the form of Ansem, he his away because of how he looked, how he wanted to cleanse himself after using darkness so much, and much more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EDIT:

@S121

You are certainly right about the fact that they are supposed to just be shadows Xehanort. The key word here is supposed tough.
                        Last edited by Katrix; 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM.
                        Born in the light.
                        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                        Keep Fighting.
                        –Don't Forget.
                        Always, somewhere,
                        you are not alone.

Comment

Never... again! I just had to sit through two exams. Back to back. Both of them being Maths exams (turns out I was wrong about one being Physics, that's tomorrow). Urgh... Why did it have to be those two on the same day?

"I don't like exams! I want to play!"

Right now, I'm just cooling off before I head home and do MORE revision. Fun...
                          Don't expect any posts or anything from me until either the evening or tomorrow. I seriously do not want to do anything (and I took a major dose of caffeine so I can't even sleep it off!)

EDIT: I just uploaded Chapter 1 of my fanfic, Tales of an Eastern Wonderland (yes, I am aware of the title. It's intentional), and I'm kinda relieved. Really wanted to get the first chapter up and out before the exams really kicked in. Of which is later this week and next.
                          Speaking of fanfics, the last chapter of Scarlet Archive just came out! *GASP* I LOVE that fanfic so much! It has served as my basis for the Scarlets' backstories and is my favourite Scarlet fic so far. Need to read that chapter so badly!
                          Last edited by Luna Pixu; 06-10-2014, 06:02 PM.
                          Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                          My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                          My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                          Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

@ TRXD Keep it up!

"Even though it is super-boring now, just wait until you are 30 years old! Then you wil harvest the fruits of your hard work!"

Summed up from what my mom, and many other people (teachers, grandparents, etc. ) have said to me throughout the years.

Anyways, good luck!

Tapatalk~
                            You know, if you know me.
                            The sun, the world, the universe.

Comment

Hey guys. Sorry if I've been inactive. But lots of stuff going on, even after school's out. Can't help it.

Anyways, yea, from what I know of AtWaG, one thing's for certain, we need to have a little joke arc, like a moment for everyone to have fun, meaning NO ACTION other than for entertainment, NO FIGHTING unless it's sparring or jokingly, and NO VILLAINOUS INTERVENTION. So basically, we need it after Mima's arc, supposedly the last arc in the season.

Oh, and a game of character analysis? I liek that ^^ I'll do Otori later.

But for now, where am I neededed?

Comment

Hey guys I'm back. I'm planning on making the IC of my new RP so we can get something up and running.

Comment

Working...
                                X