X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Boundless
    After they sat down by one of the tables, the bartender finally turned around, setting down the glass as their eyes landed on the wounded slayer.

"Ah, yes, you. Been a time." they spoke, words formal and curt before they caught sight of the second, sitting down opposite Lance. An eyebrow rose, their voice growing colder, more inquisitive. "And what precisely have you just dragged into my establishment, if you wouldn't mind me asking?"

Waelin didn't know precisely what to think of this bartender, especially with their curious attire, but from their view, their presence seemed to envelop the entire room, like a star illuminating a system. They stayed quiet. They didn't know at all what they were dealing with. They would let the experienced lead.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

The Boundless

"That's actually what I'm hoping to figure out myself." Lance replied, not even seemingly batting an eye at the bartender as he turned his focus to Waelin. Now that they were at a safe place to relax finally, Lance began formulating all sorts of questions in his head, but first he'd might as well explain a bit first.

"I came across her earlier being chased by some Granglers. Two of them to be specific. I didn't even notice her appearance until after her horn got lodged into my shoulder." He said as he looked at the Bartender. "I'd say she would be a demon herself. However she ended up summoning a Figment during our little encounter, and last I remember... Demons are unable to use Figments. So to be frank, I have no idea what she is."

Comment

The Boundless
        "I would ask for you to explain, however, considering you're new, I may as well introduce myself and my establishment, since you look like a lost puppy." The bartender started, leaning on the counter with both hands.

"I am Enraku, and this is the Boundless. I'll hope they filled you in slightly, but to put it short, I serve everyone, as long as they possess the funds and do not threaten violence upon one another. Everybody comes here at some point. Demons, Hunters, and other assorted oddities and people. Now, I do not ask for much, but you do spark my curiosity. So, who are you, young lady?"

Waelin breathed in, relaxing themselves a bit before speaking. "My name is Waelin Brooke. I moved here about a month ago. A week ago, I was kidnapped by what I can only assume is a cult."

"Let me throw a few things out there to see if it rings any bells. Blue robes? Eyes or symbols of eyes everywhere, plenty of torture and screams of anguish?"

Waelin hesistated for a moment before nodding.

"Ah. That would be the Veiled Eye. Unsure of who precisely they serve, but their kind is spread throughout the city like parasites. But from what I know, they usually just torture, not... this."

"They were turning people into all sorts of things. Some turned into insects. Others, masses of writhing limbs. For me, they turned me into this, but I escaped before they finished. They did it slowly, over several sessions with countless watching, prisoners or not."

"Turning humans into demons." Enraku's voice was tinged with irritation. "I can't say i'm surprised, but i'm also quite disappointed. Tell me, do you remember who oversaw this, aside from the unwilling prisoners?"

"Well, there was usually two who were always there. And other assistants to... execute the failed subjects. One was this tall, red-skinned thing. 6 arms, two normal, two on the shoulders, and another two from the waist."

"Ricthos." Enraku filled in. "One of the cult's leaders."

"The other was the one who actually did the operating. Floating hands and head. Pink hair, black dress. Feminine, I think."

Enraku's eyes widened before narrowing quickly. "Berith." they nearly hissed. "Horrid little thing. Always serves another, so they were likely ordered to do this."

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

Comment

The Boundless

Lance remained quiet as he listened in on the conversation between the two, taking in every detail he could as Waelin explained her story and Enraku elaborated a bit. This made Lance give an audible sigh of irritation as the thought of the Veiled Eye cult turning normal people into... monsters got to him.

"I don't know a whole lot about the Veiled Eye myself. Never had any serious run-ins with them at all, but if they're turning people into demonic beings, then that makes things a whole lot more annoying." Lance said as he leaned his head back. "Though I guess that would explain why those Granglers were after you as well. Probably trying to take you back to their hideout or just flat out kill you." He continued, turning to Waelin as if asking if his assumption was true.

Comment

The Boundless
            "They were the wardens of the jail. Dozens of them, phasing through the walls, watching us in our cells. The storm cut the power to the building, unlocked the cells. When I went to escape, most of them were preoccupied with the other inmates. Those two came after me." Waelin elaborated.

"It would seem luck was on your side this day." Enraku commented. "I thank you for the information. Considering the fact you likely lack funds, i'll consider that your payment for anything tonight. Drinks, light food, We have a guest-room or two open upstairs."

Comment

The Boundless

Having heard Enraku thank Waelin for the information, Lance smirked a little. As he was just as intrigued and grateful for the information that Waelin had provided. For he at least can inform his employers about this interesting turn of events, and likely be provided an even better payout when he's done here in Ortus.

Though at the mention of of drinks and food, Lance turned to look at the bartender "Speaking of drinks. Do you think I could have a glass of Vodka? Bit of pineapple juice if you can. Don't worry though, I can pay... this time" .

Comment

The Boundless
                "I would like some water as well." Waelin added. Enraku merely nodded to both and immediately got to work. Two glasses were set upon the counter, empty. Then, in what looked to an outside viewer to be instantaneously, both glasses were suddenly filled with their respective contents. Another moment passed, and the barkeep was already at their tables, planting said glasses in front of them.

"That would be 7.50 for you, Slayer Lance." Enraku stated before they looked to Waelin. "Yours is free, as are refills."

Waelin simply blinked before finding Enraku closer to their person, eyes examining the girl. "You look quite familiar... Hm. Perhaps a relative has been here before?"

"I would think my parents would mention somewhere like this." Waelin replied, simply trying to figure out how something could possibly be that quick.

"Fair." Enraku replied, standing straight. Another blink, and they had already retreated behind the counter. "Though this side of society is often on the down low. While I am not the one who imprisoned you, you have my condolences for being dragged into this. Even if most don't have a choice in the matter."

"Uh,thanks, I guess?" Waelin rose an eyebrow before looking to Lance. "Is this what you deal with every day?"

Comment

The Boundless

As soon as Lance's drink appeared in front of him he grabbed it and went to take a sip. Only for him to stop and look up at Waelin. Lance chuckled at the question. "Pretty much. Though I do end up dealing with a lot of other strange creatures." The hunter spoke as he took a swig of his vodka, the look on Lance's face was one of satisfaction.

"Usually though I don't run into a strange girl with horns being chased by a pair of Granglers. Normally it takes a while to find a demon I'm hunting. Some are easier to find than others, but typically if a Grangler doesn't want to be found, you won't find it, and even if you do find it, you'll be in for heck of a ride. Still could've been worse though. Much worse."

Comment

The Boundless
                    "I don't even think I want to know of worse." Waelin idly commented before downing their water. Their throat had been parched for quite a time, and before they knew it, the glass was empty, their thirst not fully quenched, but certainly enough to sate them for now. Though when their drink was set down, they would find it filled again immediately. They blinked at the sight, but began to sip more regardless. This was quite tame compared to the rest of their tenure in the darker portions of this city.

Their thoughts drifted on what precisely were they even to do now. They were a foreign element in a particularly hostile environment. They didn't know how this worked, not even in the barest sense. How was this not more public? How deep did those things have their roots? Questions spiralled in their head now that they had the time to dwell on them, but from the outside they maintained a facade of calm, continuing to drink as they wondered about their next steps.

Comment

The Boundless

"No you really don't." Lance said, finishing his vodka in one final big gulp. "Don't worry too much. While most demons would be more than willing to rip out your throat, there are still some good ones out there. Or at least ones that aren't always trying to kill you." He spoke, giving a brief glance over to Enraku, but then he turned his attention back to Waelin. Leaning forward and resting his arms on the table, he continued. "You should see Big Charlie in particular. He's like a cow, but bigger and without skin. Almost everything Slayers have done to try and kill. Hell all our attempts to harm that thing? Completely pointless. It just heals up and keeps on going. Otherwise... completely harmless for a demon."

After talking about 'Big Charlie' he leaned back in his seat, reaching into his pocket to see if his phone was still there. Thankfully it was, but as he pulled it out and tried to turn it on, it didn't... Water had seeped through his clothes, not just soaking them, but also his phone. Rendering it currently inoperable. This prompted a sigh of frustration as he began to climb out of his seat, wallet in his hand as he took out his wallet. Clenching his side a bit from some lingering pain, but it's thankfully feeling nowhere near as bad as it was. Whether his ribs were healed or if it was the relaxing aura of this bar helping to soothe his pain wasn't obvious, but despite this he walked over to the counter and placed some cash for the drink he ordered. He then turned to Enraku and asked.

"Hey, Enraku. Got a phone I can borrow? Gotta call my partner and inform them of the news."

Comment

The Boundless
                        "Not a demon." Enraku spoke on the quieter side, their words catching Waelin's ears before they looked over. Enraku leaned on the counter, both hands crossed. Their ebony eyes gazing towards the elder Slayer.

"Charlie isn't a demon. Does humanity classify every creature as a type of human? Is a bear a Lesser Human? Is a fish? A bird?" Enraku questioned.

Comment

The Boundless

Lance stopped as he looked straight at Enraku.

"No. Big Charlie's only classified as one since it's regenerative abilities are far from what this world considers 'normal'. Anything with strange properties like Big Charlie are typically called a type of demon. Whether it is actually one or not, something like Big Charlie does not match most creatures on this planet. Sure it looks like a big cow without skin. But it's regenerative properties and the nature of the spawn it creates from it's flesh are certainly far from normal to us humans. Classified as a demon or not, sightings of it have at least caused some sort of trouble. Usually by causing people to freak out when they see it." Lance explained as he then asked one more time. His tone sounding oddly... apprehensive. As if he's trying not to come off as mean, like he's really trying to not aggravate Enraku, but at the same time trying to stay as calm as possible... which due to Enraku's aura, makes it fairly easy to remain somewhat calm.

"Now. . . do you have a phone I can borrow? I really do need to contact my partner. My phone got soaked in the storm and isn't working."

Ortus City Suburbs

"Dammit I'm going to fucking kill him!" Cursed a young man as he ran, covering his head with his jacket's hood as he ran down the sidewalk. "I should just say no next time Leon needs me to come to his place..."

The young man down the sidewalk as fast as he could, but was having a rather difficult time due to the heavy rain making it not just hard to see but also dangerous due to the potential of slipping in a puddle. Even with the street lights illuminating the neighborhood, it was still difficult to see due to the thunderstorm. After running down the sidewalk for a good 30 minutes though, he stopped for a brief moment to look at his watch to check the time.

Despite barely being able to see the time on his watch due to how dark and stormy of a night it was, he did manage to see that it was... getting quite late. Midnight levels of late. The "I'm late and haven't gotten to even make dinner or do my homework" kind of late. This simply prompted a brief curse to come out of his mouth. "SHIT!" Followed by the young man to briefly look down the street, trying to formulate an idea. Thankfully one idea was already forming in his mind as he took a quick glance at what street he was on..

"Okay I know where I am... and I know a shortcut. Hopefully mom and sis are sleeping... Oh I fucking hope that sis is at least asleep! I really don't need to hear another rant from her tonight..." With that thought going through his mind, he took a quick detour, running down a small alley between some houses. His idea is to try and get to the alleyways behind the homes, and from there it shouldn't be too long of a run to get home from the back alleys. , .

Comment

The Boundless
                            The bartender continued with barely a passing mention to the request for a phone. "I would suggest a renaming, since, if i'm being honest, it's quite insulting. It's a mostly normal lifeform. Simply because you can't explain it's functionality does not make it a demon. It is an animal, nothing more. Do you not believe that I or another from my world could find some of your planet's creatures strange and possibly dangerous? Could people not be perturbed by the sudden appearance of an elephant? A komodo dragon? Any other kind of foreign animal? It is no different from Charlie." Enraku retorted, eyes never leaving the slayer's own.

The bartender kept that gaze as they dug in one of the counter's drawers before pulling out a cellphone. An older model, but more than enough to work for calls.

They proceeded to toss it over before adding "You have ten minutes. Then I want it back."

Waelin merely observed the exchange in the meanwhile, piecing things together. So this Enraku also seemed to be a demon. They also seemed to be surprisingly verbose, though they wouldn't deign to speak such a thing out loud. Hopefully they'd be able to figure some way out of this soon. Or at least find a suitable place to stay. They had guestrooms open if they came to it, at least.

Comment

Ortus City Suburbs
                              The cold raindrops have dulled her senses. She could only feel the aching pain emanating from the grievous wound at her side. She had nothing to treat it with. In fact she had nothing at her possession at all. Not a single scrap of clothing, a single coin, not even her own identity.

However, she did have a hazy glimpse of memory. The alleyway seemed rather reminiscent; the slight whiff of cigarette smoke, the laughter of a young couple watching a movie together late at night, even the way shadows form from the streetlight. It made her head ache, though she wasn't sure if it was due to the lingering blur of another girl's life, or due to the wound. She only focused on walking to a destination unknown as she turned a corner, oblivious to a young man about her age also taking the corner from the other side.
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:

Comment

The Boundless

"If you have a problem with it, then express your complaints to the government. They're the ones whose been doing a lot of classifications lately. I just go by whatever helps me remember." Lance said as he took the phone from Enraku. "Anyways I'll be right back." With that, Lance walked off to one corner of the bar where he put in the phone number for his current partner.

It took a minute for him to remember the full number, but once he got the number in and called, his partner answered.

"This number is only given out to select few individuals. Tell me how you got this number or I'll hunt you down." Said the voice on the other end of the line. The voice was distinctly feminine.

"It's just me Miranda. No need to hunt anyone down." Replied Lance

"Who's 'me' you have to be more specific."

In response to that, Lance just sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose in irritation.

"Lance. Your partner?"

"Ooooh. Lance! What's up? Any luck with tracking down those demons? Also why are you calling from this number? Don't tell me your phone got busted again."

"Sigh, yeah. It did. Got caught out in this damn thunderstorm. Clothes got soaked, phone got soaked, and got slammed into the concrete by one of the demons. So I'm using Enraku's phone at The Boundless."

"Shit, that doesn't sound pleasant at all. You know you really should get a weather proof case for your next phone or something. That way you don't to buy a new phone every other assignment."

"Yeah yeah... I hear you. I just forget okay? Anyways I'm calling to inform you that I-"
                                Lance was in the middle of explaining when suddenly the voice on the other end of the call cut him off.

"Also how did a Hellhound slam you into the ground hard enough to break your phone? Crash into you from at mach speed or something?"

While others in the bar might not have been able to hear the person Lance is talking to, Lance's reaction however was quite telling that he... really didn't expect her to say what she said. As he just stopped and stared at the phone for a moment, blinking a couple of times as if he was trying to process what his apparent partner said.

"I-I'm sorry... Hell Hounds?" He spoke, his tone sounded confused and... even a bit concerned.

"Yeah, Hell Hounds. You know. The demons we were hunting? You said you were just slammed into the ground by one, so I assume you're calling to say that you took care of them."

"Hell Hounds!? The demons I ran into were Granglers. Not Hell Hounds!"

"Granglers? The hell? Why where you fighting those blasted things!?"

" I was told was that I was supposed to be hunting down a small group of demons. Wasn't told what kind of demons. I was just informed that some demons have been sighted in the area! So when I stumbled across a Grangler, I thought it was one of the demons I was tasked with hunting! Especially when I saw ANOTHER OF THOSE THINGS COME OUT OF NOWHERE. THANKFULLY I managed to fend it off!. . . With some help. . ."
                                ;Lance explained as he shot a brief glance at Waelin.

"So you're telling me that the Granglers I fought were NOT the demons I'm supposed to be hunting, rather I just ran into them by fucking chance."

The voice on the other end of the line went quiet for a brief moment. . .

"Like okay. Granglers are a fucking threat, but they're still not the demons that I was *hired* to hunt down in this area! So we don't just have a Grangler left out there, apparently working with the Veiled Eye cult. But we also still have a pack of wild Hell Hounds out running about, waiting to rip some poor bastard apart!? Fucking hell this night just keeps getting worse and worse!"
                                Lance finished, sounding a bit more annoyed than anything at the moment.

"Hey, I didn't tell you to pick a fight with those things."

"Yeah well, when they're hunting down someone, I can't really just sit aside and let them murder the poor girl."

"Oh. Well if you saved a girl, then that's... I guess reasonable. Still, should have tried to contact me first. Anyways, I gotta go. I'm beginning to sense some serious demonic activity up ahead. I'll meet up with you later. Okay? Bye!"

With that... the young woman on the other end of the line hung up before Lance even had a chance to respond. Leaving him feeling even more agitated. The mention of the Hell Hounds having apparently been the target all along and not the Grangler's really seems to have irritated Lance.

Now that his conversation had finished, he walked back over to the counter and handed the phone back to Enraku. "Thanks for letting me borrow your phone. Don't know what I hate more. Miranda or my life right now." After saying that he marched right back to the booth where Waelin was, promptly sitting down in a huff.

Ortus Woods - Outskirts

Meanwhile, a good mile and a half down the road from Nicholas's location was a rather heavy duty looking pickup truck. Driving down the road with headlights shining brightly to illuminate the road in this stormy night.

The driver of the truck was a young woman with black hair, and a decent figure. Toned muscles and curves in all the right places. Her outfit was simple and casual, a white shirt with some sort of black vest over it, and wearing some kind of short jean shorts as well as heavy duty combat boots. In one hand was the phone she was using to talk to Lance, while her other hand was on the steering wheel. She had a sadistic look on her face as she stared down the road with a heavy grin. "Damn I wish I was Lance. Fighting Grangler's sounds like a lot more fun than fighting a fucking pack of Hell Hounds. . . Oh well, at least I'm getting payed for this." She said as she looked at her side. Resting in the passenger seat was a duffel bag. Inside it was a Remington 870 Pump Action shotgun loaded with 12 gauge buckshot rounds, a machete, and a few other supplies such as a first aid kit and some canned food. Looking at the bag then back to the road ahead of her she grinned again before slamming her foot on the gas, speeding down the road as fast as possible and straight for Nicholas's current location.

Ortus City Suburbs

The young man ran down through the back alley's behind the houses. Even in this dark thunderstorm he was having very little difficulty navigating his way through the alleys. Almost like he has a map of the neighborhood burned into his memory. Allowing him to find his way to his house quite easily.

However after taking a sharp left down another alley, something happened. Things went blank for a very brief moment as he crashed into something... or someone. Falling back and onto the cold wet ground, he rubbed his head.

"Gah! What the heck's the big-" The young man was about to speak up, expressing his distaste for what happened. However when he saw what he ran into... he was shocked. What he saw before him was a young woman. More specifically a completely nude young woman, who also appeared to be badly bleeding from her side. Seeing this the young man was unsure of what to think as he stared at her. Confused as hell at first, but when he took notice of how bad the wound is he quickly jumped to his feet and grabbed her arm, trying to lift her up to a stand after running into her and knocking her down.

Comment

Working...
                                X