X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@anyone wanting to know about the Nihiliods

Ok, here is a little compilation of the information on Nihiliods thus far. Please note that much of this, if not ALL OF IT is subject to change at any time. (No offense Cucoo, just poking fun. XD)

Also, this guide is kinda sloppy as hell, but that's because I am REALLY tired right now and rushed it. I apologize if this guide creates more questions than answers.

What is a Nihiliod?
    Spoiler:

Parasitic creatures that were spawned from the Void.
    They consist of a material that technically does not exist. Through adaptation, this material gains properties that allow the Nihiliods to interact with the plane of existence.

Infection Methods/Life Cycle
    Spoiler:

> Larvae Phase: small, mite-like in appearance, about half the size of a golf ball and capable of becoming paper thin. They burrow into a host by first numbing the area of entry and then slipping in by flattening themselves.
    Sometimes multiple larvae will enter a host and go dormant, using it as a transport.

Nihiliod Larvae are capable of being killed easily as they have no exoskeleton, relying on the host as protection. They cannot live long without a host.

> Parasitic Phase: This is where they start to reroute circulatory systems and nervous systems through them so when they consume internal organs, the host does not feel it.

Nihiliod Parasite begins to develop and is more resilient depending on how far it is in the process to becoming an adult. During this phase it begins to quickly adapt and change. Variants of Nihiliods form during this phase.

> Adult Phase: They now have a fully developed exoskeleton independent of the host that is adapted to withstand whatever the host knows as a threat as well as what previous generations have adapted to. They will then consume the rest of the host body. They can start reproducing at this phase, laying hundreds of eggs at a time.

Due to their hive mind nature, what one Nihiliod knows as a threat, they all know. Attack one with Aura energy, and any other parasite phase Nihiliod begins to adapt against it. The Adult phase becomes perfectly immune to what the Nihiliods have perceived as a threat.
    Because Physical and energy based attacks are the main forms of attacks upon Nihiliods in the past, the Adult Phase Nihiliod's Exoskeleton is adapted to be immune to any physical trauma and any energy based attack. To what degree it is immune is unknown.
    Their form also varies depending on the environment. Flying Nihiliods to swimming Nihiliods are not unheard of. They tend to favor an insectoid form for general areas.

> Queen phase: Massive Nihiliods that can lay billions upon billions of eggs. Ultimately immobile. There can only be one Nihiliod Queen on one planet. The queen is capable of surviving off of Aura energy found near the core of a planet. If there is no more organic life on a planet other than the Nihiliod presence, then the queen will consume all Nihiliods and go dormant until new organic life disturbs it.

Originally posted by Cucoo
    In short If I took everything and compiled it together

Nihiliod Larvae are capable of being killed easily as they have no exoskeleton, relying on the host as protection. They cannot live long without a host.

Nihiliod Parasite begins to develop and is more resilient depending on how far it is in the process to becoming an adult. During this phase it begins to quickly adapt and change. Variants of Nihiliods form during this phase.

Adult Nihiliod is when the parasite gains a full exoskeleton and is adapted to survive what the host knows about as a threat Due to their hive mind nature, what one Nihiliod knows as a threat, they all know. Attack one with Aura energy, and any other parasite phase Nihiliod begins to adapt against it. The Adult phase becomes perfectly immune to what the Nihiliods have perceived as a threat.
    Because Physical and energy based attacks are the main forms of attacks upon Nihiliods in the past, the Adult Phase Nihiliod's Exoskeleton is adapted to be immune to any physical trauma and any energy based attack. To what degree it is immune is unknown.
    Their form also varies depending on the environment. Flying Nihiliods to swimming Nihiliods are not unheard of. They tend to favor an insectoid form for general areas.

Queen Nihiliod is a massive Adult Nihiliod with the purpose of producing massive quantities of Nihiliods. Immobile, they feed off of the Planet's energy and any organisms the other adult phase Nihiliods gather.
    A Queen Nihiliod will continue to adapt, however it is the offspring that gain any new adaptations.
    There will only be one Queen Nihiliod on a planet at any given time. Two queens on one planet is unheard of.

The Void itself can spawn rare variants of Nihiliods. What these Nihiliods are like is unknown as they eventually become a normal Nihiliod.

Notes, Quotes, and Reference Pages
    Last edited by S121; 06-30-2015, 05:02 AM.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks S1 for pulling up those notes.

I am actually adjusting some minor details of how they adapt, specifically changing to actual evolution mechanics, meaning that they randomly mutate. The can take on genetic traits by consuming others, I.e. If they eat a turtle with a blast resistant shell, then they will have a blast resistant shell.

I'm also toning down their overall resistances to just that. Any phase can be killed with enough firepower. The problem is their sheer numbers easily overwhelm.
      Last edited by Cucoo5; 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM.

Comment

So basically, you need multiple source of attacks with very large radius to wipe the Nihilods out of a planet without them adapting to that particular attack, right?
        sigpic
        Spoiler:

Comment

Correct. It was done "long ago" by the Venturian Republic with the Daedalus Project.
          Though that resulted in outright destruction of the planet, sparking galactic war.
          I'm totally not ripping off the Death Star

Comment

I always kinda imagined the Larval Nihiliods as like... headcrab like things of varying sizes. And Parasitic stage nihiliods as sort of... small... Necromorph-esque dealios. I guess I just imagined Nihiliods could survive without a host, but were just far easier to kill.

Spoiler: I didn't read all the information thoroughly on them prior to today.
            Sometimes I feel like the only normal person here
            "My Threshing has been Extra Princely Fresh"

Spoiler: Hazmer Baybee

Comment

Well, fighting a swarm of deadly termites seems like a fun challenge~
              Shame her town has to be destroyed as a result, but the pieces must fall I suppose. I guess I could say she was visiting a neighboring town so her own house is spared, but that's really the only reason I would.

Comment

@kilel
                You should read the "Lost Princess" passage for what late-parasitic phase Nihiliods look like.

@aria
                >swarm of deadly termites
                That just made my day.

Tbh I always visualize a swarm of Nihiliods like this:
                because I can't think of anything else

[video=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8H1eRdRopQ[/video]

Just to also mention, the original inspiration for Nihiliods was the Aparoids of Star Fox: Assault.

Comment

fixed

Comment

Wow, that's actually not far off at all from how I thought of the adult phase. Also BUNNY PEOPLE so adorable

Comment

I don't know, is it possible for late-parasitic phase nihiliods to be harmed by conventional means? I kinda wanted it to look like normal folks could at least put up a fight with anything that wasn't an adult.

Comment

The answer is yes. It can be harmed, but killed would take a bit. Late-parasitic is still vulnerable due to lack of exoskeleton (still in need of a host or something else)

Comment

so does Terra's character have two approvals or no?

Comment

Oh yeah sure.

KEK
                            sigpic
                            Spoiler:

Comment

Yo wriggle, Mokou better be careful or she might get some sand in her vagina :V

Comment

Sandy Vagina Syndrome.

Miranda pretty much already has that, and... Mokou just might get it too.

RIP Mokou :V
                                sigpic
                                Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X