Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just love the face of "wtf is this?" Rin has XD

another great work Mima
    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

I was imagining a conversation between the two of them about different calibers of ammunition. She's sort of surprised that Yamame uses a bullet this small (Note, Rin knows nothing about Sniper Rifles.)

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

So is Rin a rocketeer type?
        sigpic
        Spoiler:

Comment

She's more a standard soldier. She knows more about assault rifle than snipers. She's sort of the "If I don't use it, than I don't care" kind of soldier. Also, she knows how to play the guitar.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

Comment

@everyone

Anyone still there?
            Originally posted by S121
            Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
            sigpic

Comment

GAH I'M AWAKE!!!

Comment

@Sustic

Welcome back.
                Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                sigpic

Comment

Alright, I leave in an hour. I'm going to post the IC. I'm sorry if I ripped it from the last one, but hey, I'm in a rush.

Comment

YEEEESSSS WONDER DELIVERS
                    sigpic
                    Spoiler:

Comment

@Wonder

No worries.

@everyone

Now, this won't be a post about me breaking down and getting truly upset, but I feel that I need to talk with someone about this as well. It leaves me somewhat concerned and slightly helpless. I do not want people to think that I'm trying to start drama, I just believe that this is a problem that I need to speak about. I have already spoken to Kristia and SUSTIC about it, and they are free To post what they have said.

Anyways, this is about me seeing John as powerful, but otherwise ineffective. I think the problem is that I generally tend to see all the times all of John's attacks were generally useless, making me think that for all the power he has, it's still not enough to compete with much of what the group fights.

My examples would be the Devourer Arc (for obvious reasons. I think it was just that we had to fight too many bosses), virtually all the fights against Mima's enemies/bosses, and other times in Season 1 and 2, primarily around the second half of Season 1. I guess it just makes me think that the only time John actually accomplishes something is because plot demands it, rather than from his own abilities and merits, most likely because I made him wrong by making him weaker than he would really be. It's like while others can push their very limits on what their characters can do/have, I always find that I either have to hold back, or that his attacks are constantly missing or are blocked and easily countered. Maybe it's because we fight too many bosses in ATWAG, ones that are overwhelmingly powerful. I find that during these fights, people have special things up their sleeves that they can use to suddenly get the upper hand, while all of John's stuff is out on the table. He can't transform like Renamon, nor can he suddenly become more powerful like some of the others. He is relatively static in terms of power, thus giving him no sudden edge.

Why I say this is because I look back on many other's fights, then at my own and see that many people tend to have a higher success rate in terms of accuracy and doing something than John. One such example would be the fights in Henrir's. They have moderate difficulty, but they always tend to quickly and easily thrash their opponents, while John tends to struggle in his fights, leaving me thinking that he's underpowered for the enemies he fights. More often than not, he only succeeds because he had assistance from others. He may be physically powerful, but it never seems to be enough to give him that edge that everyone else has. Touhou Characters have these cards that make them walking death threats, Renamon can transform and fuse with her companions, Elsword Characters can achieve an "awakening" state, X has unlimited energy/ armors that give him substantial power boosts, Bang has an ultimate attack, and the list goes on. John has SPARTAN Time, but that's simply a speed increase and is ignored half the time by enemies/bosses because he would suddenly be on equal terms as the bosses he fights, so to draw out the fights and make drama, people tend to discredit the speed boost and are still able to keep up without problems. When he uses guns, the enemies can dodge bullets. When he uses magic, it has mixed results. Enemies either become more powerful from it, can easily dodge/block it, or it actually does something for once.

I was hesitant post this in General because I have the feeling that people would think that I'm just complaining and want more power for a Character they deem "OP", when the only reason he seems OP is because I actually gave numbers and stats, something they could quantify and see. I showed all that John is capable of, while everyone else is hush-hush about what their character can do, so that when it comes time to fight, it seems that all I've written makes them shy away and favor other's efforts. I am stuck with these stats while everyone else can suddenly write that their characters are a little stronger or a little faster than normal, always hiding something about their characters and pulling out things that John just can't compete with. Why? Because I chose to be transparent with all he's capable of.

Of course he has friends that can back him up, but that is not taken into account when he is outmatched by a boss or enemy that is too powerful for him, yet others have very little difficulty with that boss. Why? Because they are always able to suddenly power up and overcome. John has nothing like that. All he's capable of is out on the table. You get what you see. Unlike everyone else, I gave full transparency in his stats and abilities, giving numbers that can be quantified while others have more flexibility and can simply write themselves stronger. Willpower or not, he is still swatted away most of the time, even when he does give that extra push.

Am I wrong in my observations? Maybe I'm just suffering from a case of being negative about it. What are your thoughts when you go back and think about the fights? Maybe I need to see things from someone else's perspective?

Edit:

Sus gave me permission to post what he has said. These are his responses.

Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by SUSTIC
                      Wow... you actually... have a point... I wouldn't say your wrong... in the first ATWAG there were a lot of bosses in which John tried, yet whenever he did something he always ended up just on par with that boss. A lot of times it seems like John has a lot going for him, yet at the same time has nothing special that could help him. He's an important character who seems to be only there for when the plot demands a hero... when in reality John actually would be able to do a lot more than he is in the RP. Usually the fights he won were fights that plot demanded, or when he had someone else's assistance. Usually the bosses just seemed to be too much for John. A Spartan II, and one of the best out there.

The only thing I can see that would help fix this is by finding some a way to help John find something that can be useful to him and help aid him... but the question is what? We need to find something that would make sense and that he can actually use. Maybe... we can actually turn this into a small sub-arc or something in which John begins to realize that all the villains he had fought... he always needed a bit of assistance... and that he needs to find a way to become stronger in order to help better protect his friends and allies...

Maybe Glaive (or how it's actually spelled Glave. Keeping it Glaive) could help. He can help John with training greatly. If John needed to try and perfect his magic and make it more powerful, John can take his time in Henir's Time and Space of which could be like... hours, while on the outside it would have only been like a few moments if not mere minutes.

Maybe he needs to find that ONE weapon that is powerful, reliable, and would give him a significant edge in combat.

I think you might need to post this in the RP General, that way we can all pitch in ideas. You can even throw in the idea that I am currently giving you. I can see a lot of potential ways to fix this and help John become capable of taking on these near god-like opponents on his own without assistance and still win. We just need to find that one way.
                      sigpic

Comment

The thing is, in this RP, it's less a matter if you ARE OP or not, it's a matter of HOW OP you are. Yukari could destroy the Earth if she so pleased, Devourer nearly did, Auditor's a corrupted GOD. Face it, we've all indulged in OPness a little (read: a lot) here, and honestly, that's fine,and makes for some cool, and fairly ridiculous battles.

The thing is, with John, at least for me, I don't want battle to last five seconds with him the victor, because, in all honesty, that's boring, and considering his training, augmentations and the like, can probably happen. I don't know much about the cheap cheesing of John (mainly because I haven't done much of it.), but I have a feeling it's for a similar reason. Sometimes detail like you have can actually offput people by making the opponent seem... daunting, per say.

Comment

Mima has a point, we could put the characters on what they could do, many characters have the nuclear option that could end things in a moment, but in the RP, that would make things too fast, not fun and simply boring.

You already heard my response through PM, but it is your choice and I´m ok with what you do

In another things: Guys the app for Vala, my new character is up
                          Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

@Mima

So what you're saying is that because I was very detailed about what he can do, it makes him seem daunting?

@Kristia

As for me, you have my acceptance for Vala. If you want, I could calculate and find what she would be able to do. For example, AIs can work wonders with MJOLNIR armor.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by S121 View Post
                              @Mima

So what you're saying is that because I was very detailed about what he can do, it makes him seem daunting?
                              It can, to some people. I've seen it happen before on another forum. Wouldn't surprise me if it was an unconcious thing.

Comment

@Mima

Hmm...

You know, the funny thing is that I made the app super detailed to show that I had nothing to hide and that I wasn't going to pull something random out of my @$$ or fall back on a cheap Deus ex machina. It was to show that I had integrity and honesty, that I wouldn't cheat people when they either confronted him or wanted To know what he was capable of.

It seems to have had the opposite effect. Instead, it puts him in a corner where everyone discredits his abilities to make a dramatic plot, but oftentimes makes him seem inept.

I don't know how to fix this, especially if it's a subconscious thing. Maybe I need to think about this more?

Was it solved on the other forum? What happened?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X