X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexxus | San Francisco, CA

Ethan intently listened to Nitro as she spoke, but didn't really expect for her to use unorthodox terms to explain a device. In Ethan's time learning about metamaterials, he never heard of one that used refraction, rather than negative refraction. Perhaps she knew exactly what she was doing, only she didn't know the official terminology.

"What's a 'refraction plate'?", Ethan asked Nitro in a slightly confused and curious tone.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

"Okay let's see here." Nitro looked around to find a pen: there was one always laying around back in her workspace... except this wasn't a workspace, but a club, where the only things you write are paychecks. "Dammit. I need a pen to explain this, I can't say with words alone."

Nitro thought for a second: maybe the bar has a pen she can borrow. "Hey, I'll be right back, keep the table occupied while I'm gone and DO NOT, allow anyone, to whisk you away. Okay?"
      sigpic
      Spoiler:

Comment

Ethan simply nodded at Nitro as he patiently waited for her return, though he did find her remark about him being "whisked away" somewhat humorous. As he waited, ideas about the device were already flooding through his mind, and thanks to his knowledge of nanotechnology, he already knew how a cloaking device could be made, one that wouldn't require power.
        Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
        sigpic

Comment

The bar, with its entrance to the side of the club's wall, gave off a more calm and more seductive mood with its red glass overlaying the light fixtures. It was already half-full with people, and the club has only been open for half an hour.

"Oh, I didn't know you were here Alex." Nitro noticed Alex taking a sip from her drink, sitting at a bar counter, and joined her. "Anything wrong?"

"Hmm? Oh no, I just didn't want to bother you two." Alex said as a bartender with a familiar face came to ask Nitro for a drink.

"How can I serve you fine lady tod-" The bartender said before realizing who he was talking to. "N- Nitro?"

"Aha! I knew you were working here, Joseph!" Nitro pointed her finger at the bartender triumphantly.

Joseph was a Chinese man in his late 20s, with rough beard and messy hair that reminded of Nitro's hair whenever she was in workshop. He was quite tall, not as tall as Alex but about as tall as Ethan, maybe taller. The way he always wore his dress shirt: at least two buttons unbuttoned with lopsided collar, denoted that he was constantly exhausted.

"Wh- what are you doing here, Nitro?" Joseph, Nitro's ex-boyfriend, stuttered.

"Save the theatrics, Joseph. I'm here as a customer, and I'm going to order some food for me, Alex, and a special someone." Nitro giggled, rubbing her face at Joseph. "Oh and I'm gonna borrow a pen."

"I-" Joseph's eyes traveled from Nitro to Alex to the exit. "Wait, what special someone?"

"Oh I don't know, a new boyfriend, maybe?" Nitro put on her own theatrics, catching the eyes of the other bar-goers. Some of them realized that Nitro was about to curbstomp the bartender in front of everybody, and began chuckling.

"Look, we can still get back together." Joseph pleaded, but Nitro paid no attention as she picked up a pen from beyond the counter.

"Alex, what did Ethan want to eat?" Nitro asked Alex, winking at her to send a message.

"Nexxus Sandwich," Alex answered, already foreseeing what will happen. "...and a cup of water."

"Add to that, one half-pound Boston Steak Burger, a glass of white lime sparking cider, and..."
          "Braised beef short rib, with everything on it as side. I'll order the drinks separately."
          "Make it snappy."

The combo play of Alex and Nitro bedazzled Joseph, who was just given such a huge order. The two girls giggled as they left Joseph's shamed expression, leaving the poor man to wonder to himself, was cheating on her worth it...?

"Oh man you should've seen his face." Nitro said to Alex as the two appeared into view and hearing range of Ethan.

"I saw. He looked very embarrassed. Just as you've planned; I was afraid it won't have as much of an impact if he wasn't there." Alex smiled proudly and snuggled Nitro as the two arrived at the table. "Hello again, Ethan."
          sigpic
          Spoiler:

Comment

After a couple minutes, Nitro returned, this time with Alex by her side. Ethan may not have shown that he was paying attention, as evidenced by his delayed acknowledgement of them, but he was simply trying to figure out what they were talking about. Were they talking about Nitro's ex?

"Hi. What are you guys talking about?", Ethan asked Nitro and Alex in a curious tone.
            sigpic

Comment

"Yup! I gave him the work in front of all those people. He's gonna have a real bad day today." Nitro grinned like she conquered the world or something, twirling the pen on one hand while the other pulled a napkin. "Alright, so, here's how I do this."

She began expertly drawing an elaborate but easy-to-understand diagram of electromagnetism represented by drawn lines.

"Utilizing the terahertz band's invisibility cloak system, I use metamaterial to bend light so that whatever's looking at the person using the cloaking device almost can't see anything. You probably studied metamaterial and electromagnetism too so you know, but light is electromagnetic radiation, made up of perpendicular vibrations of electric and magnetic fields. Natural materials usually only affect the electric component, and this is what's behind the optics such as ordinary refraction." Nitro began her explanation, the guests near the table they were on unable to fathom what her and Ethan was talking about. Alex, who hung out with Nitro for quite a bit now, was only able to pick up half of what she said thus far. "Now see here, if we want to bend the light to make it transparent, the materials needed to make the device needs to be made up of lattice with gaps between elements less than the wavelength of the light we're bending."

"Making a cloak that bends light so far is super easy. The problem is making a design for a small device that we can fit into a watch or something to conceal the device. I was thinking of utilizing the wearer's skin cells to literally make him or her an invisible man."
              sigpic
              Spoiler:

Comment

From what Nitro said regarding the person she embarrassed, Ethan made the assumption that she was talking about her ex-boyfriend. Ethan didn't know the whole story, but he was a little curious about what the guy could have done to deserve such treatment, but before he could ask about it, Nitro was already back to talking about business. Ethan didn't mind too much though, he would simply ask about it later. As for the cloaking device, it was very similar to what he was thinking. Their best bet was metamaterials, and if they had the right equipment, they could create a sophisticated one that could be turned on and off with the press of a button.

"But then we would have to worry about clothing. He would need to strip down before using it. Either that, or we give the client a loose fitting suit made from a see-through metamaterial that once power is supplied to it, could go from allowing all light through to bending it all. It would be a little fragile, but he wouldn't even need a watch to conceal it, leaving it as the on and off switch... What is the client planning on using a stealth suit for anyway? What kind of punishment does it have To be able to take? Also, how long does it have to last?", Ethan asked Nitro.
                Last edited by S121; 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

"Good point. Remind me about that later when we start working on it and I'll make a note of what you just said." Nitro nodded, while in her mind she was relieved that she was able to find an assistant who actually knew what he was talking about. "The client didn't say about what use the cloaking device was for: he probably doesn't know, as he did mention that he had his own client who needed the device. I was given a few specification requests though: the device has to run a few hours at a time and be chargeable. The form of it, the client didn't seem to mind at all."

"You guys are talking about work even when we're having a night out?" Alex tittered, her hand supporting her chin to denote boredom.

"Come on Alex, I'm not made of money like you. Try to feel for the common men and shush, okay?" Nitro dismissed Alex's boredom with a flick of the wrist, but Alex was relentless, especially after seeing someone approaching the large DJ table across the dance floor.

"I mean, I can do that," Alex muttered. "Or I could tell you that DJ Sinker is on right now."

Nitro quickly took a glance at the DJ table and squealed in delight to find that DJ Sinker has indeed taken control of the entire club. Most people didn't notice until the DJ made a scratching noise with a turntable. The popularity of the DJ could be measured by the screams of the adoring fans, Nitro included.

DJ Sinker was a young Asian woman, possibly around the same age and, strangely enough, similar physique as Nitro or Alex, donning a smoky makeup and wearing a combination of taut sleeveless indigo shirt with a gray anchor inscribed on it and an oversized jeans that looked like a cat shredded its leg parts. Over her slick black hair that fell almost to her shoulders was a white-and-green sailor's hat with a gray-and-black headphones.

"Seriously though, I would go lesbian for her." Nitro let her jaw hang in adoration.
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Meanwhile outside the Nexxus, Drake continued to wait in line and thankfully the line finally progressed sufficiently, and now Drake was up next.

As Drake walked up to the Bouncer, the Bouncer looked down at him. With a quick glance Drake took out his card for the club to the Bouncer. Taking the card out of Drake's hand, the Bouncer looked at it, then at the 'list' for the place. Seeing that Drake is at least on the list he handed back the card to Drake, and gestured the young mercenary to enter the club.

With a small smirk on his face Drake took back the card, nodded to the Bouncer, and finally entered the Nexxus.

Once Drake entered the Nexxus he looked around in... surprising awe. It has been a few months since Drake had last been in a club, but he had not yet been in this place. Though compared to the last club he had gone to, the Nexxus is almost like a dream. With the awfully clean, lively group of people on the dance floor, and the actually pleasant music playing, Drake felt... pretty fine in this club. However there was just something preventing him from enjoying the club even more. Upon seeing all the different people talking with what seemed to be friends, possibly even lovers Drake felt a little... alone...

"Damn. Should have brought a friend or someone... Forgot these places aren't really fun without someone to talk to..." Drake thought as he decided to get a drink rather than going to go to the Dance Floor to enjoy himself. Personally Drake isn't all too much of a social fellow. Walking up to the Bar, he sat down on one of the stools sitting along the counter.

"Hey Bartender. Get me one of your strongest drinks will ya? I feel like I need one." Drake spoke up, hoping for the Bartender would hear him.

Comment

Just then, as Ethan was about to talk about the battery, DJ Sinker made her presence known with the scratch of a record and the sounds of all the fans reacting to it. From this, along with Nitro's humorous comment, one that elicited a barely noticeable chuckle from Ethan, it was clear that she had quite the following. The only questions on Ethan's mind was what would happen to the fans when she would begin her work. That, and what kind of music did she typically make?

"DJ Sinker, huh? What kind of music does she usually make?", Ethan asked Nitro and Alex in a somewhat curious tone.
                      sigpic

Comment

"House, mostly, but she's tried almost every EDM subgenre." Nitro answered as the drop took into full effect. The crowd went wild, and so did the dancing. The light fixtures above pulsed in dizzying, epileptic blast of colors. "You know what I mean by that, right? Trance, trap, techno, dubstep, all that."

Nitro took a look at the diagram on her napkin, and then back at DJ Sinker. "I listen to her music all the time in the workshop. Perhaps you'll grow to like her. But seriously, she is gorgeous. Look at how cool she is."

Alex meanwhile strolled through the bar slowly, quietly glancing back at the guys who stared at her in awe-struck silences. She does this all the time, scanning the crowd in the bar with her alluring gaze. The media and some general public tend to misinterpret this as some kind of thirsty flirtatious flailing. However, Alex has other motives in mind. She goes to bars to have drinks, yes, and socialize, but she also visits the bars to find those in need of mental comfort, as those with stress tend to visit the bar just to get a drink. After all, it is not only the Corrupts that suffer from the rise of panic and distress in the society.

The seduction only comes naturally.

A mere observation, but it was accurate every time.

Alex spotted Drake, sitting alone at a bar ordering the strongest drink there is. Classic, stereotypical man in need of a stress relief. As she approached the man, she noticed that the man had sunglasses covering his eyes. Whether this was his personal preference or his way of picking up girls was beyond Alex as she sat right next to Drake.

"That's a real strong liquor you ordered." She started. "Something stressful going on in your life, I'm assuming?"
                        sigpic
                        Spoiler:

Comment

"I see.", Ethan said to Nitro as he observed the dancing and cheers quickly picking up.

It was clear to Ethan that DJ Sinker truly did have skill, due to how it affected the audience, and to be honest, he liked it a little too. If Nitro listened to this all the time in her shop, then Ethan would have little difficulty in adjusting to the music.
                          sigpic

Comment

Drake had thankfully gotten his drink... and even just after a few sips he could tell that it was pretty damn strong. He may not be a huge fan of alcohol, but on occasion he will get himself a drink or two. Right now though he doesn't really give a damn about how strong the drink he has is, just that he has one to calm his nerves a little. After all today hasn't necessarily been stressful, more like boring and dull to the point of causing stress. On top of that but the fact that it has been at least 3-4 days since he last had last gotten ANY word about a possible job has been getting to him. Thankfully though Drake was doing quite well when it came to hiding his stress and irritation of him being mostly alone...

That is until he heard a calm, stern, and... oddly alluring voice speaking directly to him. Turning to look at the woman he saw Alex in all her beauty. Normally he would make a comment, but he's more or less here to just relax and hopefully just have some general fun. Not flirting or anything. Though something else that was odd was how she asked him if something stressful was going on in his life. However he just shook his head as he turned to look back at his glass to take a sip.

"Nothing really. Just want a little drink to calm my nerves. Hadn't gotten work or anything for a few solid days. Almost going on for a week now. On top of that but the day has been kinda boring ya' know? Days like this I just want something to calm my nerves, and just relax. So I had a reservation here, and I decided to just use it and probably have a few drinks. Don't worry. I intend on leaving soon..." Drake replied as he finished his drink, but not before letting out a small hiccup. After finishing his drink he took off his sunglasses followed by him setting his glasses on the counter. With his sunglasses off, he revealed dark blue eyes with dark circles under them, showing signs of him being rather tired and stress. After quickly rubbing his eyes and letting out a quiet yawn, he put his sunglasses back on...

Comment

The man quickly flashed his eyes, and that's all it took for Alex to read his thought process and a glimpse of the amount of stress. This man, too, was like Ethan: someone with a lot of weight on his shoulders, someone who could pass off as an actor, without the haughtiness and the arrogance of one. This too was an innocent person suffering from the war between the DCERT and the Corrupts. This too was a man that Alex can alleviate.

"What do you do for a living?" Alex asked, leaning slightly closer to the man.

"Anyway, back to the device." Nitro shifted her attention back to the detail... or tried to, anyway, but the food that the two ordered came before Alex could bring it to them, by a waitress. The waitress resembled Dakota Fanning, with almost pale, silvery blonde hair, crystal clear turquoise eyes, and very slender physique. And yet she was holding the plate of food and drinks with one arm and had the strength left to smile kindly at the two.

"Here are your orders." The waitress announced as she placed the food down on the table: a plate of well-made, delectable sandwiches with bubbling water for Ethan, a double beef-patty burger with thousand island dressing, caramelized onion, and melted jack cheddar cheese slice as well as a cup of cider for Nitro. The food for Alex: a marinated, medium-done prime ribs with mashed potatoes and green salads on the side with a glass of combination of bourbon whiskey, drambuie whiskey, and ginger ale, has arrived, but Alex has not.

"Wasn't Alex supposed to be picking the food up?" Nitro wondered as she asked the waitress. "Did you see a red-haired girl with really short dress in the bar?"

"Um, yes, she was speaking to another customer at the bar." The waitress smiled as she placed the receipt on the table and briskly walked back to the bar.

"Fuck." Nitro growled. "I'm here having to work in my free time and she's off flirting with another guy?"
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Drake simply turned to look at Alex as he stood up and stretched.

"Nothing much. Just any jobs I can get my hands on really. Not going to go too into detail. Don't want a pretty face such as yours getting involved with my line of work. Not that I'm just trying to protect you or anyone really... just... My job is more personal." Drake replied as turned to face away from the bar. "The pay is pretty damn good though. That's always satisfying. Get to pay the bills... get food... treat yourself to something special here and there." Drake spoke as he looked at the dance floor while listening to the music.

"Damn this place must be popular. Everyone is going wild. That or DJ Sinker is really 'hot' around these parts huh?" Drake said to Alex, clearly recognizing the artist of the music. Though he didn't really seem to really care for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X