Collapse
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing we're not allowed to mix different kinds of stone together? Such as diorite and granite?

Comment

Not for the statue, no. The statue can only have one type of block for the whole statue, and it can only be one type of stone. So choose carefully which stone you want it to appear as.

The garden can have any natural elements associated with it, so you can mix and mash stones for the garden.

Comment

@MCSuire
        That's the rules of this theme. One type of stone block only. Cobble, cobble slab, cobble stairs, smooth stone, diorite, andesite, etc.
        Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
        My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
        My NNID: OfficialTRXD
        Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

Okay think of it this way, guys. Think of this in a realistic application. If you're going to make a statue in real life, chances are you will be carving said statue out of a giant stone block. That stone block is ONE stone. It's not a mix-matched combination of stones. I mean there are probably a small number of statues carved from multiple types of stone, but not really. Even the Statue of Liberty is one giant thing, and that's an extreme example. Besides, it shouldn't even be hard to make a statue from one block. To me it should be an easy restriction for this month's theme.

My statement above isn't directed at anyone in particular. I just felt like explaining a bit further with my thought process for doing the restriction. I do get asked about what I mean by the restriction multiple times, so this should help. Hopefully my explanation here is good.

Comment

Time for accepting contestants is over! Contest grounds are open for building! Those of you who are contestants can now begin building the theme of the month!
            Warp: /warp buildingcon

Comment

Spoiler: And the winner for the month of July is...
              Eiburine!
              Final score: 7.99
              Congratulations, Eiburine! You've won the July contest! You will receive your 25 winning Kagome Bills along with the 5 Kagome Bills for participating once we update the server!

Second place is TRXD!
              You'll get 15 Kagome bills along with your 5 Kagome bills for participating!

And third is MCSuire!
              You'll get 5 Kagome bills along with your 5 Kagome bills for participating!

Everyone else, thank you for participating! You will receive your 5 Kagome Bills too for participating when we update the server!

Spoiler: Here are the results:
              Results breakdown: Of your overall score, Theme was worth 30%, Detail was worth 30%, Creativity was worth 20%, and Block Usage was worth 20%

\Judges→
              ↓Contestants\
              xadrow WriggleRid3r Cyros_Lugoth Aka Izayoi Overall
              Eiburine Theme: 9
              Detail: 8
              Creativity: 9
              Block Usage: 7
              Theme: 7.7
              Creativity: 7
              Block Usage: 7.5
              Theme: 9.5
              Creativity: 8
              Block Usage: 7.5
              Theme: 10
              Detail: 7
              Creativity: 6
              xadrow: 8.3
              WriggleRid3r: 7.61
              Cyros_Lugoth: 8.35
              Aka Izayoi: 7.7
              Average: 7.99
              Redleaf64 Theme: 6
              Detail: 6
              Block Usage: 6
              Theme: 7.2
              Detail: 6.7
              Block Usage: 7.4
              Theme: 6
              Detail: 6.5
              Block Usage: 8.5
              Theme: 9
              Detail: 7.5
              Creativity: 5
              xadrow: 6
              WriggleRid3r: 7.05
              Cyros_Lugoth: 6.85
              Aka Izayoi: 7.15
              Average: 6.7625
              Shimitty Theme: 4
              Theme: 6.7
              Detail: 7.4
              Creativity: 8.2
              Theme: 6
              Creativity: 9
              Detail: 5.5
              xadrow: 5.4
              WriggleRid3r: 7.27
              Cyros_Lugoth: 6.9
              Aka Izayoi: 6.55
              Average: 6.53
              MCSuire Theme: 9
              Creativity: 8
              Theme: 7.5
              Detail: 7.5
              Block Usage: 6.2
              Theme: 8.5
              Creativity: 8.5
              Block Usage: 8
              Theme: 8
              Detail: 5.5
              Block Usage: 5
              xadrow: 8.1
              WriggleRid3r: 7.14
              Cyros_Lugoth: 7.95
              Aka Izayoi: 6.45
              Average: 7.41
              nickmaster00 Theme: 7
              Theme: 7
              Creativity: 6.5
              Block Usage: 6.5
              Theme: 5.5
              Block Usage: 5
              xadrow: 7.5
              WriggleRid3r: 7.1
              Cyros_Lugoth: 6.45
              Aka Izayoi: 6.8
              Average: 6.9625
              TRXD Theme: 6
              Theme: 7.3
              Block Usage: 7.2
              Theme: 7.5
              Block Usage: 9
              Theme: 10
              xadrow: 6.7
              WriggleRid3r: 7.13
              Cyros_Lugoth: 7.85
              Aka Izayoi: 8
              Average: 7.42

Spoiler: xadrow's comments:
              Eiburine A quality statue, with a bat themed garden around it. While the use of dark brown clashes with the rest of the build, the nice balance between flowers and features compliments the build well. The statue is nicely detailed, and, while not as dynamic as other entries, really brings out the features of the character. The bat shaped fountains and trees are a nice addition to the garden and have are a nice creative addition. The Redstone behind vines is a nice technique to make berries. A suggestion for further improvements would include a bit of work on the roads and polishing some colour coordination.
              A very nice build overall.
              Redleaf64 An average build made a bit eerie with the use of stair blocks for the statue, making it look like rather creepy and sacrificing on resemblance for “detail” which doesn’t really pop up either. The road paths are nice but the flower patches are not placed in an interesting way.
              Needs more work.
              Shimitty While the base of the concept for the contest is there, it is lacking on both the part of the statue and the gardens. Probably to be taken as a joke more than anything else. The statue is far from majestic, which is contrary to the character of Remilia. Also, theoretically, the use of quartz as the toilet seat counts as another block used for the statue, so technically I’d say it should be discounted because of it. While putting the statue on a toilet is somewhat “creative”, as explained before it brakes the rule with regards to a single stone block, and ruins the majesty of the piece. A nice variety of blocks, usage of Granite, different coloured woods for bridges and a large assortment of flowers.
              Joke build. Has potential but not for the purpose of this contest. Maybe disqualified for mixed bocks in statue.
              MCSuire Theme is well followed. A large garden with an impressive statue of Remilia throwing a spear. An interesting design including several materials, nice garden decorations and a “dynamic” pose for the statue. Attention has been made to the detail: from a two toned pathway, mixed patches of flowers, interesting rock formations around the statue to the threads running off the spear, making it look like energy is flying past it. The burning path under the statue is an interesting addition. The broken symmetry of the garden, the idle well and the pose of the statue and for an interesting detail. The dynamic pose and the fire-y pit add quite an interesting amount of creativity.
              Interesting build with nice garden setup and majestic statue. Not too sure personally about the lava though. Overall good build.
              nickmaster00 An interesting hill design on which to put the statue. The use of varying materials adds a nice amount of detail to the environment, and the pathway is very nice. Unfortunately this attention to detail was not kept for the whole garden, as the flower patches are a little weird in their colour schemes and, not varied enough and a little sparse. The statue is elegant and simple, the character is easily recognizable. The attention to detail on the wings is very noticeable. The water feature, the custom tree and the tea area are nice details, but don’t seem to fit the overall setting, they don’t blend in very well.
              A nice build with a nice statue, but unfortunately lacking on the flower aspect of the garden.
              TRXD An overall nice build, with an interesting layout and nice small roads coming off of the central statue area leading around it. Very nice pathways. An over-saturation of flowers distracts from the main statue. The statue in itself is minimalistic and somewhat generic. The grass areas with the trees are wonderful.
              While there are some good ideas, some areas need a bit more work on both detailing and refining.
              Additional information:

Spoiler: WriggleRid3r's comments:
              Eiburine A bit busy, but if I was Remi I would want my statue and garden to look like that
              Redleaf64 Statue leaves something to be desired, but there's enough content in the rest of the area to feel saturated but not overwhelming.
              Shimitty Remi on a toilet. Brilliance.
              MCSuire I'm not too sure about having lava in a garden, but the statue detail was really pleasant
              nickmaster00 One of the best statues in the contest, but a bit bland garden
              TRXD Pretty flowers ahoy!
              Additional information:

Spoiler: Cyros_Lugoth's comments:
              Eiburine Your statue is above average for what I was expecting out of the contestants. Something large because there is no limit on height for builds. Another thing I like about your statue is how accurate it looks in appearance to Remilia. The wings are practically perfect in size. The way you did the water in the back of the garden does seem like you did a bit of a rush to get it finished, but it still looks nice. I especially like the way your trees are trimmed to look like bat wings. My favorite aspect of your build would have to be the redstone ore you have behind the vines around the platform to look like roses on vines. It is both creative, and a good piece of detail. I would definitely use that idea in my own builds, because I love the idea.
              Redleaf64 The only disappointing thing about your statue is the size. I did like how you used stair blocks based on what I gave for restrictions, but I would have loved to see a large statue of this. I also don't know how I feel about the vegetable garden. Personally it feels out of place for this kind of theme. Your flowers also appear to be off balanced for the whole garden. Most of it is in the bottom corner, whereas it's almost completely devoid in the opposite cornet. I do like your swing and your fireplace with the table. Those were nice additions to the garden and feel very Remi-like. My favorite aspect of your build would have to be the redstone blocks you have in item frames around your platform. A nice scarlet look for the statue makes it very fitting.
              Shimitty Your statue is very... small and oddly proportioned. However, I don't know if I was being nice or if it made me laugh, but I had to give you a great creativity score based on your toilet. Even if something like this wouldn't even be considered by Remilia for her garden. Speaking of the garden, I do like the symmetry of it, but it's a bit too symmetrical and very unnatural. Your blend of blocks also makes it stick out like a sore thumb, but I did like how you used podzol underneath your flowers. It's not soil, but it still looks good. My favorite aspect of your build would have to be how large the Gungnir is in comparison to everything else.
              MCSuire I love your statue's pose. Having Remilia appear to be doing something rather than just stand there is a nice creative touch to your statue. I dare say if you worked more on your garden's shape you would have won this contest. I also love how you have a huge abundance of flowers, as well as a nice mix of them. I think the only flower you're missing is the blue orchid from what I can see. The stones in each corner were odd, but interesting. I also like the creativity behind the lava underneath the statue, though I'm not sure if the way you have the statue standing there that it would support it. I'm also not sure how I feel about the lines of text you have on the sing in the front. It doesn't feel elegant to what represents Remilia. My favorite aspect of your build would have to be your statue as a whole. It is my favorite statue out of all the contestants.
              nickmaster00 As mentioned to you based on your concern, I have knocked off points based on the blend between your statue and the terrain. It's not apparent as to where the terrain ends and where the statue starts, and as such I cannot say for certain that the entire statue is one stone block. The statue itself does look nice and big, though. Your garden has a large lack of flowers as well. While walking along the path you have around the statue, it feels very bland and there isn't much to look at. My favorite aspect of your build would have to be the gazebo. It's something I wish more entries had.
              TRXD Now THIS is a garden. Coming to judge your entry was a treat, because of all the flowers and how organized your area is. Unfortunately your statue is very lacking. It's small with not a whole lot going on with it. I also notice you took advantage of the server updating to 1.10 to add in some end rods to your pathway before the contest deadline. Your fountain was a bit lacking, but a nice addition to the garden as a whole. My favorite aspect of your build is how pleasant it is to walk around your pathways.
              Additional comments:
              One of the things I would have loved to see is if someone were to actually ask me if they can use Redstone Block as their stone type and make a statue out of Redstone Blocks. I mean, the word stone is in the block's name, so I would have allowed it, making for an interesting crimson-red statue of Remilia Scarlet.

Another thing is the gardens. I took off 1 point in theme for everyone who's garden had no real symmetry going on with it. Everyone except TRXD, because despite his garden not being symmetrical, it still looks like a formal garden. The reason for the point deduction is because even though you were building with natural elements, it is still a garden. Something that is man-made, and will have artificial elements. The garden should have had some sort of pattern going on with it to match the elegant feel of Remilia Scarlet. Something that a few of you were lacking.

Spoiler: Aka Izayoi's comments:
              Sakuya has a more in depth written analysis for how she did her scores, but I am only posting her comments here. I will allow her to post the rest if she wishes to.

Eiburine Noticable improvement on LS from last entry, Composition is well balance thanks to use of water and water fountains, Good posing with Statue leading to above average thinking but could use props as detachment details such as tea cup in hand to help enhance presence. Extra detailing has improved and is slightly higher than a standard person but still lacking; Slabs, stairs, trapdoors are great use in this, just be sure to use a balanced amount and not to over do it. LS has improved with the use of water, fountains, garden props and use of elevation to direct pedestrians around. Watch out for viewing line of sights as pedestrians have only two block height view; it is easy to get blocked and miss viewing pieces of the garden.
              Redleaf64 Spacing and minimalistic style enhancing serenity atmosphere. Good use of full trees. Composition is very well done and thoughtout; keeping viewing line of sight open and wide to be able to view the gardens anywhere on the ground level. Use of the small pond is a great way to add in water elements; but due to it's small size, despite it's peaceful presence, it is being overshadowed by the heavy grass and foliage presence. The sand is a great equalizer for water and earth. Try to incorporate the use of slabs and stairs more often to help create in-block depth; such as wall linings and designs, but be sure to keep the balance with the overall picture. The garden is very serene, a scene right out of an actual garden. Try to add your own creativity and enthusiasm into it, such as floating/lifted platforms, arching overheads, layered water elements. Remember, a balance of realism and fantasy will draw imaginations out from everyone. You also have a good grasp on land scaping and its elements' balance; even adding a nice vegetable garden smoothly into the scene. Incorporating land elevation will further help your land scaping abilities. This type of garden would surpass in private or calm areas, while rating slightly less suitable for semi high traffic area such as a front public garden of the Scarlet Manor. It would fit very well for Ojausama's private garden nevertheless.
              Shimitty Composition symmetical standard to a regular high-end garden. Using asymmetric composition in balance will not only help bring new elements, but allow you to subconsciously direct viewers as you like enhancing their experience if used right. While block orientation helped with detailing, due to the minimal scale of the environment, not much block detailing could be added. Bridges were minimalistic, as expected of any entry person. The small scale also harmed the view; being very opened leading to not much to be seen. The extra detailing were almost nonexistant; the redstone torches, stair usage in the pathways, block orientation, but again due to minimum canvas scaling. Landscaping show a working knowledge of standard water ways and grass, but not further else. Using a symmetical balance limited what you may add to the environment, along with the small scale restricting land elevation. Small scaling is good for practically, but in return, you exhange your potential in detailing and, in effect, the interest and amount that may be viewed.
              MCSuire While the statue shows good use of skill and creativity, much of the surroundings lack landscaping assets leaving open fields. This in turn affected the overall composition due to lacking necessities. Detailing as also affected as there was not much assets to detail. What is present shares a good touch of minor detailing, such as the skulls, unique approach using fire elements along with the willingness of using non-standard blocks; the endstone and obsidian. Try to study the elements and contributions to a successful garden. With your different approach and creativity, the results will be unique.
              nickmaster00 Garden assets are present, but to simply fill the land's canvas. Their balance and effect are not in full, leaving them to only affect their segmented corner. Try to watch for the seating and standing view points, and what is presented to these points. The gazebo seating only views a portion of the flower garden section and the back-side of the statue, and it blocked by tall grass. Repositing and elevation may assist in this aspect. Good attempt in patterning the walk path, careful not to conflict the material used too much. Use of the wood and dirt presents a once developed walk path overgrown with nature. This extends to the tall grass as well, leaving an poorly maintained land. Remember whom the garden is for, and in this case, it would be for the Scarlet Manor. Keep the overgrowth subtle, and it will complement the surroundings with a hint of age. As for landscaping, you are grasping the foundations for landscaping regarding elements, but you still yet to master land elevation and element balance. Every element from a tree, pond and structures to a stone plays their part in regards to landscaping and the effects of view. Studing on well developed gardens in real locations will help you grasp how to get the full effect of viewing a garden, and what elements complement each other.
              TRXD Effort, knowledge and passion is shown very clearly. Composition is well-thought out, along with the effect of each element with their surroundings. Use of carpeting, stone walls, light posts, walk path patterning and flower arrangements contributed significantly to the atmosphere in good harmony. Positions of seating and resting structures offer not only good frontal view of Statue, but sensible locations for viewing the flowers and garden themselves. Good amount of garden and landscape elements used with good resonance, along with the use of land elevation to further help flower and garden presentation viewing. While very well adept to flower gardening and it's land, statue's pose, position and creativity may be enhance. Overheads and arcs may even further help present the garden's environment. Effort well acknowledged.

So I decided to also give points for second and third place (I will also be doing this with May's contestants) because the jump between 30 Kagome Bills to everyone else having 5 Kagome Bills is huge, so I wanted to close the gap a bit. Besides, normally there are a top three anyways. So here you go. It will give me a bit to give everyone their bills, so please wait warmly~
              Last edited by Cyros_Lugoth; 09-04-2016, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Koishi-san!

Comment

Grats! And well done to everyone. I'm rather surprised that I came 2nd. I knew I wasn't gonna win because of my statue so I mostly banked on the garden instead.
                  Still though... I'm rather content with how things went. The comments are fair and very accurate. I knew where some of my flaws lay but I worked with what I had. A nice change to see me place highly, especially over all the other good builds.

Now I go sleepy pweepy...
                  Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)

Comment

Thank you everyone for participating. As per standard, you may obtain a copy of my evaluation sheet to further view where each one of your strengths and weaknesses lies, along with suggestions in overcoming them.

July Evaluation Sheet

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Comment

Accepting Contestants

I am now accepting contestants for the month of August! Please post now if you would like to be a contestant! Also remember to read the theme carefully before accepting. Entries close at Midnight on August 14th.

I am also looking for Judges! preferably at least 3, at most 5.

Comment

Don't blame me if I make another toilet. But don't worry, I'll try to take the contest seriously this time.

"Oh No! I'm going to loose all of my fake money! -DariruKuro

Comment

You and Lunasa have been added.

Comment

Woo congrats everyone :3 And thanks >w<

As for the august contest, I think I'll pass this time... Gotta get prepared for school aaa

The september contest looks interesting though :3c I'll definitely participate next month

Comment

A Redstone contraption? I guess I can join.
                              Could you go ahead and add Megumi__Safaia (me) to the contestant list? :P
                              Last edited by 99465; 08-08-2016, 04:02 AM.
                              Originally posted by Mogeko
                              Yummy prosciutto! Praise be to prosciutto!
                              Originally posted by Lord Prosciutto
                              Praise be to prosciutto.
                              ..... I forgive the sin of all Mogeko.
                              Release the Yukkuri:

Comment

Ugh... idk whether to join, judge, or pass. I love redstone but I honestly don't see a possible contraption that must use sponge (unless I lazily use sponge in sticky pistons and claim that it counts). After all, if the contraption isn't a one-use only, the sponge must somehow be dried out which cannot be done without breaking it.

You'll have to get back to me on this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X