X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Cucoo

That could possibly be a side-story in itself; the efforts of this group of Caeles to try and help as much as they could without revealing themselves.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

Aye.
      For now they'll be unsung heroes.

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@Cucoo

Ok.

Also, I made some calculations on Ethan's ship and found that it is essentially a danmaku boat.

It's most abundant weapon is the plasma cannon, and each flank has 390 cannons. Each one fires about 5 times per second, so if you add all that up, a ship facing either the left or right flank of the ship would be hit by 1950 balls of plasma.. per second.

The best part about this is that I actually managed to create a working version of the plasma cannons, but it lags a lot... -.-

I'm still trying to think up of how powerful each cannon should be, so I've been trying to convert electrical energy into thermal energy, although it's a crude means to find the heat of the plasma. I have even tried delving into the power output of the ship's reactors, although they are rough estimates.

Do you think this is a fair method to use?
        Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
        sigpic

Comment

@ S1

tbh I've been thinking about danmaku type dogfights but in my head I always see it as being very impractical due to being a waste of energy.

As for what you got, I would think the balancing factor would be bullet size and muzzle velocity. And how fast the turrets (assuming not fixed guns) can turn and adjust fire.
          I mean, sure space fighter, but ya gotta figure that the joints gotta be pretty strong if it's supposed to be able to operate in gravity. The gun might be big and powerful, but how well can it aim and adjust?

Comment

I don't know if it is needed to be so realistic with these things Cucoo, sometimes you just got to let imagination fill that gap
            Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

I would just use something like a railgun. Something that hits fast, hard, accurately, and doesn't require that many shots to do it's job.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

@kristia
                True
                Old habits die hard I guess.

Comment

@Cucoo

It has a very small turning angle, and might as well be fixed in place. I thought it would be impractical as well, but then I thought about larger ships. With how many guns it has, this small ship would be able to put up a fight against larger ships. You could kind of think of it from a dps standpoint. As for the smaller ships, this would keep its flanks secure, due to it essentially being a horizontal bullet curtain.

It's not the most efficient weapon system on the ship, it's more like having gatling guns. Of course, I have been toying with the idea that they can also fire highly unstable particles, or tiny bits of antimatter less than a gram of antimatter for each gun. Kind of powerful, but not powerful enough to blow up a city or anything. Either that or some kind of light/photon cluster that explodes on impact.

@Mima

Well, it's funny you should say that because...

The ship is expected to have 1-2 large railguns or gauss cannons, as well as an assortment of smaller railguns or gauss cannons. I'm still trying to decide which of the two would be better in terms of efficiency and projectile velocity.
                  sigpic

Comment

just to let you know s1 that I moved our conversation to RP general discussion
                    Have you ever crossed the line between sanity and madness? You would be amazed by what lies beyond the fog..

Spoiler:

Comment

@ S1

aye fair enough.

Comment

Did some maneuvering and set up for the Shrine.

Comment

@Cucoo

Ok, the plasma cannons WILL NOT be able to fire charged blasts. XD

I was testing all this in Minecraft and decided to try different shot variants. Well, charging the shots actually caused the transport pipes for the Okuu Cannons to burst.

Looks like I have my balancing factor.
                          sigpic

Comment

I would suggest the fallout series weaponry

Plasma: slow but powerful shots with heavy energy usage

Laser: Fast, but weak firing with low energy usage

Spoiler:

Comment

@Kristia

Actually, I was planning on adding lasers.

Lasers are good against smaller ships, but with the larger ones, it can take time for the lasers to put out enough heat to significantly damage their hull. They are better suited against fighters, and can fire in quick consecutive blasts, or as a continuous beam. Of course, beams take up more power, and if sustained for too long, they can heat up the laser turrets, potentially damaging them. The lasers can fire at various wavelengths, from red to purple.

As for the plasma cannons, I might just make them like the plasma weapons from Halo. Originally, they would have been like Samus's arm cannon, being able to be charged, but that has proven to be detrimental to the ship.
                              sigpic

Comment

yeah, since they are made up from energy from the ship, a charged cannon would need a great energy core

Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                                X