X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Cucoo

It's early in the morning, so my mind is a little hazy, but with today's technology, we can use railguns to achieve speeds of Mach 7 or 8. The only problem with railguns is the heating. Titanium, or perhaps even Titanium Carbide would work to increase its heat tolerance. As for Coil Guns, I don't know too much about those, due to there not being very much information when I looked. I looked again and couldn't find much.

Gauss's law may be expressed as:
    \Phi_E = \frac{Q}{\mathcal{E}_0}
    where ΦE is the electric flux through a closed surface S enclosing any volume V, Q is the total charge enclosed within S, and ε0 is the electric constant. The electric flux ΦE is defined as a surface integral of the electric field:
    \Phi_E = \oiint{\scriptstyle S}\mathbf{E} \cdot \mathrm{d}\mathbf{A}
    where E is the electric field, dA is a vector representing an infinitesimal element of area,[note 1] and · represents the dot product of two vectors.
    Since the flux is defined as an integral of the electric field, this expression of Gauss's law is called the integral form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law

I'm good with math, but this is beyond me. It doesn't help that I just woke up either. All I can really say is that it would be reasonable to have some kind of railgun or gauss rifle by 2042. I think that a rifle of both kinds would be able to reach about Mach 4, but only due to power constraints. That being said, the weapon would probably need a mini-reactor.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    Originally posted by S121
    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
    sigpic

Comment

Gauss's law doesn't really help with the velocity with what I can see. there might be some relationship that could, but I don't see it.

also...
      Mach 4 would be not quiet double the barrett's muzzle velocity

(343 meters / second) * 4 = 1372 meters / second
      Mach 8? double that. 2744 meters / second

in regards of mach 4
      if you take 1800m/1372ms^-1, the bullet would hit in 1.3 seconds if the effective range was the same...

for Mach 8
      0.655976676 seconds

fun fact: how long it takes to blink is 0.3 seconds.

and If I had to guess without doing any math, the change in muzzle velocity would affect the effective range...

and talking about speeds...
      Last edited by Cucoo5; 12-04-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

@Cucoo

It would.

I trust that you'll keep to the equation, so you can do what you want with that. Just remember power consumption. I would say that a miniature fusion reactor would be used, maybe some low-caliber rounds, to reduce the amount of power needed. The velocity should compensate for the drop in caliber. Maybe some Tungsten bullets would help. I would say to use the Gauss Rifle from Fallout 3 for inspiration.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Gauss_rifle_(Fallout_3)
        Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
        sigpic

Comment

@ S121

I might actually run with a different concept,
          perhaps in 2042, maybe there's been a new model of sniper rifle that has like...say a 10-20% increase in performance compared to the Barrett. (that would bring it to the mach 3 level of muzzle velocity.)
          I would have to look at the generations of snipers to see what the trend is, but I think I would just do something like that cause Eleos is supposed to be more of a traditionalist.

Also I'm thinking of deleting Eleos's intro and starting him elsewhere. (how long will the superstore brawl last?)
          Last edited by Cucoo5; 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM.

Comment

@Cucoo

Ok.

Maybe they found a new mixture of gunpowder that gives that extra boost in power, and made the guns out of a tougher material to compensate for the increased pressure inside of the gun during the little explosion.
            sigpic

Comment

right

also something else...

a different bullet for each occasion...
              how many types of bullets are there and what kinds could we say were developed to counter characters?

Comment

@Cucoo

I was afraid we would get into that. e_e

There are many, MANY bullet types that can be used. I can't possibly begin to try and explain how many types there are. 0_0;

I'll bring up a list...

This one only has some of the basic types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet

There's also this one that explains calibers and a few types.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/621163/posts

This one talks about bullets and their capabilities.

http://saami.org/specifications_and_...and_Issues.pdf

This one has pretty much ALL the various bullet types.

http://www.alumbankweb.com/ammo-acronyms.htm
                sigpic

Comment

So how is everybody?

Comment

Hello everyone. I'm back from a rather... long and tiring day...

Comment

Hey, Neo. What's up? Doing much at the moment?
                      Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                      My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                      My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                      Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

@TRXD

Oh hello TRXD. I'm not doing much at the moment. I'm thinking about bringing an old RP of mine from the Minecraft Forums over her to Yukkuricraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Cucoo5 View Post
                          @ Mima

Holy...
                          Ok I'm not even going to ask how that worked out and when.

Anyway I'm not going to worry about it. We're "kinda" starting fresh a bit with this season II...

...Just curious....
                          You wouldn't try to bring back all of those...right? Please tell me they were temporary fluff characters
                          Well, it varies. Firstly Winslow's dead, so exclude him out. Pontius, Dr. Kliener, Salvador, DAR (oh yeah, almost forgot about him), Marisa, Sekibanki (almost forgot her too), Mima, and Mini Mima are the crew of the modified Borealis, which may return at some point.

Mr. Foster, Serious Sam, GlaDOS, Heavy Weapons Guy, and Lonestar (keeping forgetting all these until I think about certain groups) are definately going to return, due to their prescence in the Inventory.

Hank, Deimos, Tricky, Phobos, The Auditor, The Higher Powers and the other Madness characters will return for sure, since some of them already have.

Malthael probably will appear, though towards the end half of the season. Sariel too.

The Akrids, not really, though they might be mentioned a few times.

Voltar and Vinnie & Spike may make appearances, though more brief.

No idea about the others.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

@Neo
                            Oh right. I've just been hanging around here and there. Not being able to post on AtWaG because I'm waiting on Katrix. Do you know one of the reasons why Katrix is so inactive as of late? (Also permission to name and shame?)
                            Smash through the blocks that bar your way; No time for fear, just let it all fall away; Nobody believes in me and you, Just look at the way they stare; So what if we live in a walled garden, As long as I've got you then I don't care!

My 3DS Friend Code: 2208-5334-3531 (Ask for Pokémon shenanigans or random multiplayer games)
                            My Switch Friend Code: SW-1503-3394-5328
                            My NNID: OfficialTRXD
                            Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lunapixu/

Comment

@NeoFox

Welcome back!

@Mima

Sorry for not posting in IC sooner. I've been trying to get another computer up and running, but it's so old that it asked me if I wanted to connect using DIAL-UP! -_-;
                              sigpic

Comment

@ Mima

ok...
                                now...
                                how many of them did you have apps for?

@TRXD

This isn't unusual for Katrix in terms of activeness.
                                I was gonna just say time zones but you two are in the same one pretty much if I know my geography...
                                You just happen to be on when he's not, that's all.

@ Neo

Terra.
                                EG: SoS
                                Did you need me to advance your branch of the story so you could post or what?

@ S121
                                aye bullets...
                                maybe we should just list them when I start naming targets and which would be effective for that target. if there's none, then we start considering custom.

Comment

Working...
                                X