X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ Katrix

Since it's your story, mind if I ask what kind of currency is used and are the variants between regions? Also What kind of fruits are in the Forest my characters are at (will take a while for me to memorize the names...)

Comment

@Cucoo

Currency you say? *stares into void for a little bit*. Let's just say that people trade with what they have. Adventurers and the middle class people may have coins while farmers and the like normally trade with whatever they have, like food and tools. As for fruits, I wouldn't say there are too many fruits there at all. It's a very dense forest. The forest with the fruits would be Blómlegt forest. Here is a picture I found. You know what that's a genius idea. I should find pictures for more of the locations.
      Spoiler:

As for the names. They are actually most of them pretty simplistic and lazy. Endalausir forest just means Endless forest. Blómlegt forest means blooming forest. I used Icelandic (Google translate) for the locations as Icelandic is pretty close to old Norse. The nice part is that English and old Norse are both Germanic languages if I remember correctly, meaning that in many cases the words can be similar. Some of them like Skógur bears no relevance whatsoever however. In Norwegian the word for forest is skog. One advice I can give if you want to try to remember them more is to remove -ur or -ir. If I do that with Skógur I get skóg, almost the Norwegian word for forest, skog. Although it's harder and requires a bit of imagination, this can be used for English as well. The locations Úlfur or Ormur are good examples of this. If you remove the -ur you get Ůlf and Orm. Orm rhymes with worm so that one is easy. While a little bit harder to to see it actually rhymes with wolf.

Some of these names have been simplified (Google translate didn't give me the correct word). A example of this is Eytimork wich is actually called Eyđimörk or Eydimörk. Lake Thoka is in fact a version that is not simplified. The simplified version is Mistur, but I prefear to stay close to Old Norse whenever possible. Do note that all of this does not count for Yarras.

Would you prefear if I changed the names around a little so they might actually be a little bit easier to understand?
      Born in the light.
      Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
      Keep Fighting.
      –Don't Forget.
      Always, somewhere,
      someone is fighting for you.
      –As long as you remember her,
      you are not alone.

Comment

@ Katrix

The names are fine, if anything it's a bit more creative than some of the things I've been doing in Eternal Galaxy (Celestora System with the Planet Alcyon, or Egale System with Planet Senarious, etc etc etc Aside from Egale, they're mostly Latin with minor modifications.)

I primarily wanted to know about the currency cause the "Stranger in different area tries to buy something with the wrong currency" cliché is too good to pass up atm with Revere and Selene.

Comment

Double post question

Does SYSTEM have a emblem that could be possibly stamped onto coins and such?

Comment

@Cucoo

Coins hold value because of the material they are made of. SYSTEM is a fairly new group so even if they would have something, it haven't reached other towns. The only place where there is money with SYSTEMs emblem is in Máttur.
            Born in the light.
            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
            Keep Fighting.
            –Don't Forget.
            Always, somewhere,
            you are not alone.

Comment

@ Katrix

Right

And members of SYSTEM would have such a thing, correct? So if Revere did loot a scouting party for the swords....
              Maybe he got more than just the swords and a few of the coins.

Comment

Alright, who in Skogur wants a shiny new bow?
                Originally posted by S121
                Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                sigpic

Comment

@Cucoo

Well the thing about Máttur is that i modeled after a modern civilization, meaning that they normally use paper notes, which are worthless in normal peoples mind.

@S121

Well you could give it to a random person. Also, would you mind sticking around so Reagen could talk to him?
                  Born in the light.
                  Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                  Keep Fighting.
                  –Don't Forget.
                  Always, somewhere,
                  you are not alone.

Comment

@Katrix

Ok.
                    Originally posted by S121
                    Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                    sigpic

Comment

@ Katrix

and that's why I can't just do anything.

dammit...

(If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at my last IC post)

Comment

@Cucoo

They are still coins made of metal. Besides, we're talking about some place in Endalusir forest, which is the nearest location to Máttur. If I'd say that it would have at least some value in another location it would be Endalausir forest. It's so close that some merchants are bound to go to the Máttur. He would most likely trade with someone else and get something else back.
                        Born in the light.
                        Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                        Keep Fighting.
                        –Don't Forget.
                        Always, somewhere,
                        you are not alone.

Comment

@ Katrix

Ok

But the main point of the currency thing and why I wanted it to have the SYSTEM emblem is to raise suspicions and so if some sort of guard or maybe somehow SYSTEM did get to the village, then they would be on Revere and Selene's trail again.

Comment

@Cucoo

Sound like you need a Guldara!!! Give me some time to make her app.
                            Born in the light.
                            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                            Keep Fighting.
                            –Don't Forget.
                            Always, somewhere,
                            you are not alone.

Comment

Nearly done, just a few more things

Character’s name: Skari

Appearance:
                              Spoiler:

Just not quite as witchy.

Magic type: God's Tears ???

Knowledges: Magic level 6, History level 3, Nature level 1, Beastiary level 3, Geography 3-1, Advanced technology level 3, Religion level 3, Known people level 3

Weapons and starting gear: A device to contact System, books, God's Tear(core)

Weakness or Traumas: If SYSTEM tells her to do something, she will do it without much question.

History and personality: Skari is maybe the worlds greatest scholar of magic. Trough work with others, most of the knowledge that exist today can be at least partially credited to Skari. The reason for Skari being so successful is that she works for SYSTEM. This means that she have unlimited access to all their resources. She will hold this position with great care and if anything threatens to destroy this, she will do whatever she can. Appart from that she is a very curious person that wants to discover the world.

Morality: Lawful Nautral

Theme: Fits her so well.
                              Last edited by Katrix; 01-20-2014, 11:41 AM.
                              Born in the light.
                              Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
                              Keep Fighting.
                              –Don't Forget.
                              Always, somewhere,
                              you are not alone.

Comment

@ Katrix

Guldara?

I'm going to connect the dots and assume that's what Skari "is"?

And "God's Tear" Magic? That sounds so epic...

Comment

Working...
                                X