X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We meet again, math, my mortal enemy. Put up your dukes, we shall settle this like gentlemen.

Sometimes when you're driving down a road, a bug hits your windshield. It's ugly and unpleasant, but you just activate the wipers / cleaning fluid and it's gone in a few seconds. It's just part of driving down the road. You don't dwell on it, because that'd be silly. Bugs aren't worth the time.

You just discard their guts and keep on driving.

Comment

Originally posted by S121 View Post
      @everyone in EG

I was playing Fallout 3 and decided to create Ethan. Well, if you know about Fallout 3, then you know about the G.O.A.T., the aptitude test that tells the vault dwellers what their career will be. Well, I answered the test 3xactly how Ethan would, and I got "marriage councilor". XD

Just imagine this wild, badass merc sitting down, telling couples how to "keep it fresh". XD
      LOL! I imagine Hajime and Eve will be needing a good marriage councilor even though they aren't married (they would probably be bickering and acting like a married couple lol.)

Comment

@Mima

Math, demons to some, angels to others.

I don't really mind math that much, as long as it doesn't become too repetitive.

@Sus

Yep, I've thought it over, and Ethan will actually have that experience from his previous job. That should be hilarious as a conversation topic, or if he suddenly shows those counciling skills off. XD

@Cucoo

Just another question, do the magnetic properties or electrical conductivity of the metal used in the railgun's construction affect the power needed?
        Last edited by S121; 11-03-2014, 12:45 AM.
        Originally posted by S121
        Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
        sigpic

Comment

@ S1

The resistance of the wire would affect things. I went and calculated things using a bunch of assumptions.

Also...
          What is the unit J supposed to be?
          Joules?
          If so...

Barrel Length (x) = 28m

distance between rails (d) = 9m

Work (w) = 5E11J

Force (F) = w/x = 1.79E10N

F=Force Magnetic Field (FB)
          FB = idBsin(90)= idB

two unknowns: current (i) and Magnetic Field (B)

B = 2((uoi)/(2pi(.5d))) For left and right rail

solve for i

sqrt(FBpi/(2uo))=i

i=1.49E8A

V=i*R

Let's assume there is some resistance and let's say it's 1 ohm because I'm lazy

V=i

V=1.49E8V

Muzzle Velocity (Vf) = 1E6 m/s

Force (F) = w/x = 1.79E10N

Barrel Length (x) = 28m

F=m*a

mass (m) = 1 kg

a = F

a = 1.79E10 m/s2

Vf=vo*t+a*t

solve for t

vo=0

Vf/a=t

t = 5.6E-5s

So I calculated:
          Voltage needed to fire

Time needed to fire for lightest projectile

Now voltage for other bullets:
          For your 10kg
          V = 4.72E8V

For 100kg
          V= 1.49E9V (From the 1kg, increased by factor 10)

For 1000kg
          V= 4.72E9V (from 10kg, factor of 10)

seems to alternate between the two, increasing by factors of 10.

If you wanted Power in watts, assuming resistance as 1 ohm, just square voltage.

Comment

@Cucoo

Well, now I know that the railgun will take a long while to charge between shots. XD

Does t increase by a factor of ten each time as well?
            Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
            sigpic

Comment

No
              Because work is increasing by 10 therefore force increases by 10 and mass of bullet increases by 10

The increase in force cancels the increase of mass therefore acceleration does not change and thus time does not change.

Your increases and velocity makes perfect use of the length of the rail gun.

Oh and your concept of vertical and horizontal modes make no difference cause d cancels out in the formulas.

Also if you do change the resistance of the system to something more realistic, V would increase if R increases and power in watts would be P=I*V = I^2*R

EDIT:

And...on the side
              @ Anyone
              could I ask for everyone or anyone to go through the timeline in EG and see if something raises any sort of question? I feel like I'm missing something important and it's bugging me...
              Last edited by Cucoo5; 11-03-2014, 02:26 AM.

Comment

@Cucoo

Sorry if I seem a little air-headed at the moment. Personal stuff. Susan can fill you in with the details.

Anyway, I'll leave the railgun as a non-transforming weapon.

So, what resistance do you think would be more realistic? To be honest, I have no real resistance in mind for the railgun. All I have down is that the weapon makes heavy use of a transforming element that can change its properties via programming.
                sigpic

Comment

Don't worry about it.

For resistance, that would depend on what material you use for the wires. tbh there's a formula to figure out power loss and such but for the sake of simplicity, anything greater than 1 ohm
                  ...heck...maybe it is 1 ohm or even less...
                  ...the resistance is what you can vary to change the voltage and thus the power. do with it as you will. Resistance directly affects voltage and thus power. So if you want to make it require more power, increase resistance. If for some reason you want it to use less, lower it. Of course the hazard with resistance is that too much can make things overheat, and too little can short out the system. So I would say just figure out what kinda power source you will be using, how much power in watts per time interval it can pump out and work from there to change the resistance.

...and I have to ask...
                  ...who's Susan?

Comment

@Cucoo

*sees Susan*

Goddammit! This phone had an auto correct feature, so when I typed "Sus" it corrected it. XD *facepalm*

Anyways, I already found a candidate for a power source; antimatter. I made a very rough estimation, and with two reactors, the ship can pump out about 600 billion watts per second. Granted, not all the power would be devoted to the railgun, but even then, it would take a looooooooong time for the gun to charge.

I think I should increase the amount of power the ship can generate.

Another alternative was a black hole generator/reactor, and it would generate around 129 pettawatts. (didn't say timeframe, but I assume in seconds), but the black hole itself would be kilometers wide, much larger than the ship.
                    Last edited by S121; 11-03-2014, 03:04 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah autocorrect

Something told me...

Anyway...

...uhm...
                      ...a black hole...generator... as a power supply.
                      I'm trying to wrap my head around that one...
                      Don't black holes normally consume energy?
                      Part of me thinks that's a bit of a stretch
                      ...just like...
                      Antimatter used as a power source?

I'm almost afraid to ask how that even would work in theory...
                      Last edited by Cucoo5; 11-03-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

@Cucoo

Well, it would be more accurate if I said "matter/antimatter annihilation" reactor. You see, it takes all the energy released from the process and uses it as power. There's quite a few sources on it on google.

The other one uses Hawking radiation.

I swear, I can not make this stuff up.

Also, when you put "Time needed to fire for lightest projectile", did you mean the smallest amount of time it would take to charge a shot? I didn't quite understand that part.

Edit: Maybe time it takes to leave the rail after "ignition".
                        sigpic

Comment

...ah...
                          that...makes sense...

But still, I would think twice about having a black hole generator when the black hole is technically larger than the ship. Event horizon and particle blender and all those traits of black holes that make them really scary...
                          ...though that's just me...

and oh yea, that's just how long it takes to go from 0 to muzzle velocity. That's how long the projectile would be in the barrel of the gun
                          Last edited by Cucoo5; 11-03-2014, 03:40 AM.

Comment

@Cucoo

Nope, not having a reactor 10 times larger than the ship its powering. XD
                            sigpic

Comment

Aye

Oh and btw S1
                              have you seen the random passages I've been writing out for EG?

How much of that scene with Aurora during Phoenix do ya remember? Cause I wrote a passage that kinda explains the situation there.
                              I'm wondering if it makes sense of everything that happened or if there's something it raises as a question.

Also there's a few others...including one that is an encounter with the Void itself
                              http://yukkuricraft.net/showthread.p...ll=1#post86915
                              This post has them sort of organized based on the timeline.
                              Last edited by Cucoo5; 11-03-2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

@Cucoo

Yep, I remember seeing some of them, but I don't think I saw all of them.

I think my questions are, "how did they get to the manor? Why did her soul bind to Aurora?"
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X