X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Jesse

It's different for everyone, and some good suggestions have already been listed. Some thing I'd say is that If you aren't using a picture for appearance, you might want to elaborate a bit on her appearance. Look at the pictures other people have put up, and see what they tell about the character. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Another good way to add a bit more substance to your character is to think up random situations and how your character would act in these situations, is there a reason for this behavior, and so on. Just remember that you aren't supposed to be done with an app in 5 minutes. Many here on the forums use hours on a single app.
    Born in the light.
    Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
    Keep Fighting.
    –Don't Forget.
    Always, somewhere,
    someone is fighting for you.
    –As long as you remember her,
    you are not alone.

Comment

@Jesse

Katrix has a point. Spending a few minutes on an app is kinda... not a good idea at times. It's always advised to take some time with an app so you can get everything thoroughly worked out and all. Some of us do take hours, if not a day or two on our apps just so we can make sure everything seems fine. Detail is good, and important in an app. However you do not need to make a highly detailed app, as the more detail there is, the longer it will be and less likely people will not read it all. So it is advised that you add a bit more detail, but don't overdo it okay?

Also here is some RP advice that I have written down. It is PRETTY damn common, yet important.

First:
      Plot Secrets, and Ability Secrets:
      I have some useful advice for you all when it comes to the whole "I can't keep secrets of my character from everyone." When it comes to character background, you can keep secrets. However in a RP that will have combat it is wise to list all your characters current abilities so the GM will be able to know what he is capable of, and so others won't get mad when you have a character use an ability he had from the start but none of the RPers knew about.

I used to have a similar problem when it came to this subject. As when I first started RPing several years ago I had so many abilities for my character planned, but I didn't list all of them. So when I did have my character use one of those unlisted abilities everyone got pissed off at me for supposedly "bringing in new abilities at will." Also take into note that what we may know in an RP personally (our IRL selves), our characters won't know what a character has.

For example there is a character in TSU (an RP of mine) has the abilities of a decent swordsman, and has a basic magic sensing ability as well as some form of summon magic.

However my character Andrew even if he did meet Zero, he won't know Zero's abilities unless he saw them first hand, and as such some of Zero's abilities can come off as a complete surprise for Andrew .

Another example would be if say my character Drake was an ice mage and I told everyone in the OOC that he has this power. Yet not much others will know of his magic type or his abilities with his magic. As such when he say goes up against another person's character who never met him before, and Drake uses his ice magic for the first time he can catch an opponent off guard as they would not have known he could use Ice Magic unless said character has prior knowledge about it.

Now with proper info on a characters abilities OOC wise, our characters in the RP itself won't know of a characters abilities unless they meta-game which is against the rules. With proper info on a characters abilities, us IRL can figure out a proper reaction for our characters when someone elses character uses an ability against them for the "first time" in the IC even though it was listed in the OOC.

In short what I'm trying to say is:

1: Info in apps in the OOC gives us knowledge on a characters abilities, but that does not mean our characters in the IC can have that knowledge. Meaning things like abilities and background will be secret to our characters until that info that was listed is revealed in the IC.

2: Trust your other fellow RPer's enough to hope that they won't meta-game, and as such have their characters know of stuff they shouldn't.

3: One can still have plot twists in terms of character background, as long as you give proper clues, and build up that makes sense in IC posts. That means we can keep guessing if the plot twist is good enough, and when it is revealed it can be a big surprised to us all including our characters.

Second:
      Time Management in RP's when Traveling:
      Okay I've seen this problem happen MANY times over in RP's. Several characters do a logical thing and actually take their time when traveling over say 10 minutes across the timespan of say 6 posts or so by walking. Then someone else's character comes in and travels from the between the same locations in ONE single post... by walking at just the same or similar speed as the people that took 6 posts over the span of 10 IC minutes. I don't care whether that ONE post was long or short if the majority are actually taking logical time frames to travel between locations via several posts, then you come in and travel between the same locations in ONE post it just is not right.
      Now let's take Trinity Soul University for example.
      In it there are several locations, the Main Building and the Shopping and Restaurant Districts. A normal walk from the main building, to either the Shopping or Restaurant Districts takes 10-15 minutes. When going to these districts, and even other areas don't just have your character do something then in the same post they went and got to the Shopping District if they were at their Dorm. Instead why don't you all do something like in one post have your character do something, then decide to go to a district. Then in the next post have your character walking or heading to the District, then in like the 3rd or 4th post have them arrive.
      Having a character do something, then leave their current location, and immediately arrive to their destination in the same post while someone else's character is walking to one location to another while having a conversation among the course of 3-4 posts with them arriving at where they want on the 5th post or so GREATLY messes with the flow of time and all in an RP and it can get SO FRUSTRATING.
      People try managing your time. Take several posts to do something, and arrive somewhere. Not just 1-2 posts. Have them do it in 4-6 posts instead, and if the location is far enough it could take a lot longer than 6 posts (could take up to 20 posts if the travel distance is long enough). As like I said, if two characters are having a conversation that takes 10 to 15 minutes over the course of 4-5 posts, and another character somewhere else in the area does multiple things which would have taken them like 10-15 minutes in one post can really f%#$ with time in an RP. It's just annoying. No one is omnipotent, nor fast enough to do something that takes 10-15 minutes over the course of say 4-5 posts in just 1 post. It's just BS to be honest. No one is GOD in a RP guys... speaking of which...

Third:
      Characters being treated like they are the main star:

This is another problem I see being done often, but mostly by newer inexperienced RPers. Yet at the same time this is common advice when making a character for an RP that EVERYONE should know. When making character one must be careful. I've seen many people make characters that are too powerful, and end up acting like they are the center of attention in an RP.
      Remember an RP has OTHER people with characters of their own, and they themselves have things they contribute to the story of an RP in its entirety. If you have a character and you treat yours like he/she is the center of attention, like he/she is the main character and that everything revolves around him/her then it really isn't an RP at that point, more like a flat out original story where other people are adding their own bits of info to it. It's quite often in an RP where there will be that one guy who joins it and has a character, then treating him like everything must happen to him/her, he has the dark troubled past and refuses to make friends, he has an ancient power that can blow everything away... NO just NO. DO not make a character like this, it just is bland and idiotic (sorry for my harsh words...)

Yes you can still make a character who has a troubled past, yes you can have a character who has some sort of special power, YES you can make a character who refuses to make friends, but don't give them a troubled past just in an attempt to make everyone feel sorry for them. You also shouldn't make a character with a power that is supposedly the "end all solution" (essentially a GODLY power that nothing can beat.) Make sensible decisions! You can give your character some sort of bad background event such as losing someone they knew, and some sort of secret ability unique to them as long as you don't go overboard with it. ESPECIALLY don't do this if you are joining an RP that isn't yours. Seriously, it just isn't right if you try to make your character like the main character of an RP that isn't even yours, especially if you don't have permission (which I wouldn't even ask permission to as it can come off as a bit... rude.)

Those are just some old tips and advice I have written in the past... Hope that helps a bit.

Comment

thanks il revew my own post now thank you katrix and sus and sorry from before

Comment

Actually, Sustic, I just realized something about Nurse Hanna's description.

You basically just described

Valentine from Skullgirls.
          Last edited by Lunasa Prismriver; 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM.

Comment

@Tewi

How does Seki know there's a dragon there? Zero doesn't have any features showing to prove he's a dragon (Last I known I'm the only one with a dragon character).

Sent by Tapatalk
            "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

@Lunasa

Funnily enough I had thought of Hannah before I discovered that character in Skull Girls (Skull Girls was out before I ever made Hannah, but I thought of her character concept and design before I ever heard of Skull Girls in general.)

Like I said TSU has a lot of references and inspirations derived from already existing series. Whether intentional or unintentional, the references/inspirations are still there.

Comment

Finally got around to finding/editing images to look like my characte. hope this helps

eyes
                Spoiler:

hair
                Spoiler:

hoody
                Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Zekai View Post
                  @Tewi

How does Seki know there's a dragon there? Zero doesn't have any features showing to prove he's a dragon (Last I known I'm the only one with a dragon character).

Sent by Tapatalk
                  I wrote it that she sniffed them out. if you meant how did she spot him afterwords well that's my fault for not reading your full bio. i'll go back and change it.

Edit: changed it so it says she was able to find you via the overpowering smell of dragon blood.
                  Last edited by Tewi_Inaba; 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Oh, it was by smell. Didn't see that part. Must of been from a previous post. My bad.

Sent by Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Zekai; 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM.
                    "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

@SUSTIC

You saw the talking crystal right? You know that it's Anthony's connection to the head shrine maiden, right? Do I need to post some kind of app for her?

Also, are you going to do some kind of staff introduction or something?

Comment

@Lunasa

I would suggest you make an NPC app for her or something at least.

Also yes I am, I'm just trying to build up to it. In my next post I will have a sort of staff introduction.

OH and I will be doing things a bit differently. First day of the University is to allow the students get acquainted with the campus and their dorms/dorm mate. Second day will be devoted to the students meeting all the teacher's (individually, and not in any specific order), along with seeing what their classes will be like.

Comment

Just to let everyone know but I changed up Zero's appearance a bit.

Comment

@Zekai

Like the new picture.

Also I made a post in the IC everyone! Hope people enjoy it. I was trying to give a little bit of a comedic vibe to it while also attempting to lead up to a little bit of a fun scenario for the characters.

Comment

Hmm.................. Have Zero grab the orb as it flies by him with ease or not? Hmm..........

Sent by Tapatalk

Comment

@Zekai

I should have stated that the orb already flew off elsewhere at a high speed. So it would be a little too late to try and grab it, after all I plan on having a little fun with the upcoming scenario... which you all will find out what I have planned soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X