X
X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

let's see how many people I can freak out this Halloween on the forums...
    ...ehehehehehe...

Comment

Well, I'll see you all later. At the bar drinking. Happy Halloween to all.

Sent by Tapatalk
      "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

So how is everyone tonight?

Comment

@everyone in EG

I was playing Fallout 3 and decided to create Ethan. Well, if you know about Fallout 3, then you know about the G.O.A.T., the aptitude test that tells the vault dwellers what their career will be. Well, I answered the test 3xactly how Ethan would, and I got "marriage councilor". XD

Just imagine this wild, badass merc sitting down, telling couples how to "keep it fresh". XD
          Originally posted by S121
          Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
          sigpic

Comment

Man, what a day. Been busy and just got home. I'll post when I get up.

Sent by Tapatalk
            "No matter how strong or what power the enemy has, I will fight and protect my friends, even if it cost me my life to protect them. I will fight until I die to ensure their future."

Comment

Originally posted by S121 View Post
              @everyone in EG

I was playing Fallout 3 and decided to create Ethan. Well, if you know about Fallout 3, then you know about the G.O.A.T., the aptitude test that tells the vault dwellers what their career will be. Well, I answered the test 3xactly how Ethan would, and I got "marriage councilor". XD

Just imagine this wild, badass merc sitting down, telling couples how to "keep it fresh". XD
              For some reason I can imagine that...

Sent from my Bad Apple!! iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

@Cucoo

That's what his first job was, but then he got the itch for adventure, picked up his gun, and headed to space.

That would actually be a pretty interesting conversation topic... I don't know, but I just might have that as "canon". Soon after escaping GRACE, Ethan needed a job, took a test, tried out the job for a while, but got bored/got attacked by GRACE.

Hey, even RP characters live mundane lives, at least for a while.

Also Cucoo, this might be a crazy and complicated question, but what do you know about railgun physics?
                Every time I see a new post on the Forum, I feel like a little kid during Christmas, all giddy.
                sigpic

Comment

As of my latest physics course, lots.
                  Pretty much the course is electricity and magnetism so... Yeah.

Comment

@Cucoo

Well, I have been trying to find out how powerful the railgun on Ethan's ship should be in EG, and experimented with some velocity, mass, and force equations to find how fast and damaging the projectile would be if in a space battle. I have that part worked out, but my problem is finding out how much power would be required for the amount of force generated. I have looked through the math behind the railguns and have been slowly piecing together what the equations mean, but I still can't figure out all the equations and chain them all into one process, the firing of the gun.

At best, I have only found the very basics (right-hand rule) and some of the variables within the equations, but all the other sources I have found require you to have a greater understanding of physics/variables, greater than what I know.

It might be much, but do you think you could explain what some of the variables mean? I may not have advanced knowledge in physics, but I can catch on fast.
                    sigpic

Comment

I can do that, just list off what you do have and some dimensions of the gun and projectile and I can figure out the rest.

Comment

Ok, just give me at most an hour, and I should have the dimensions. Doesn't help that I didn't build the railgun yet, due to not wanting to proceed without the math first.
                        sigpic

Comment

@Cucoo

Might take a tad bit longer. Had to take care of partied out dad.

Also, just to be sure, how large do you think the distance between two ships would be if they were in a battle? I was thinking that they would be thousands to tens of thousands of kilometers away, so I adjusted the velocity accordingly (1,000,000 m/s; 1,000 km/s).

Does that sound right to you?
                          sigpic

Comment

Perhaps...
                            Though my thought process is current day when it comes to combat.
                            All I know is that for modern day fighters, "maximum" gun range is within a km... and thats if the pilot has good aim even with the computer guidance.
                            And I'm going to seem like I'm using this as an excuse but remember: the only thing I would get nit picky on is Venturian tech. What Ethan has and is used to could be different and anything you set it as.

Comment

@Cucoo

Ahh, ok. I tend to forget that... --;

Anyway, here's all that I have. It's a lot, so hang in there.

First, I'll give the dimensions because it won't take as long. I just need to tell you that I went into the ship and quickly got some measurements, so if anything needs to be changed, it could be. Also, I was playing around with the idea that the railgun could turn its rails and could be at a vertical or horizontal position, horizontal being the widest. Also, would multiple rails affect the power and effects on the rails?

Length of rails: 28m
                              Distance between rail cores: 9m (vert mode); 15m (horiz mode)
                              Width of rails: 6m

Bullet length: 9m (vert); 15m (horiz)
                              Bullet width: 3m (vert); 9m (horiz)
                              sigpic

Comment

@Cucoo

And here's the second post.

This one has the velocities, masses, and force of the bullets. Due to the ship storing mass as digital information, it can generate bullets of varying mass ranging from 1 kg, to 1,000,000 kg.

For future reference, the standard/constant firing velocity for the bullets are 1,000,000 m/s. The mass of the bullets are in the titles, and the force will be listed below the mass.

Spoiler:

1kg bullet
                                ------------------------
                                500,000,000,000J = 500GJ

500/4.184= result below

119.502 tons of TNT

10 kg
                                ------------
                                500GJ

1.195 kilotons

100 kg
                                --------------
                                50,000GJ

11.950 kilotons

1000 kg
                                ---------------
                                500,000GJ

119.502 kilotons

10,000 kg
                                -----------------
                                5,000,000GJ

1.195 Megatons

100,000 kg
                                --------------------
                                50,000,000GJ

11.950 Megatons

1,000,000 kg
                                ----------------------
                                500,000,000GJ

119.502 Megatons
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X