X
Collapse
Who has read this thread:

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@SUSTIC

Just a random question, but is it hard to write a character of a different gender?
    "A programmer doesn’t talk when he’s working" ~ Akasaka Ryuunnosuke from Sakurasou no pet na kanojo

Comment

@Mehnum

I'm not usually the best person to go ask, but I would say (for me at least) no it's not. I mean... it's hard to... well...

This is really hard for me to explain. It's not usually hard to write a second character. To me it's not really hard to, writing a character of the opposite gender is generally the same as writing any sort of character.

For example my 2nd character in TSU Kaname. I just wrote her with a certain goal in mind. A tomboyish girl, with a slightly outgoing, and loudmouthed attitude that will usually get herself into trouble.

Just try and think of a personality for a character, one that you can easily go with.

Another good example is to plan out what character she would be.

For example with Kaname again. I was thinking of a character that would be considered your "average everyday tomboy", and I began looking for a picture for her. After I found the correct picture:

I kind of went with what I thought is right, and would fit the picture.

"She is kind, caring, outgoing, beautiful, and- Okay she isn't really any of that, but she is outgoing, and... pretty normal for a person with Wind Magic. She also has a tendency to act all tough usually, and has a bit of a "in-your-face" attitude which can get her in trouble some time. Other than that she can be a decent person to hang out with."

Now what I'm trying to say is... well... yes it can be hard, and no it won't be hard. It really depends on the character, the person RPing said character, and well... how well you can remember said character's personality.

Sometimes I even forget a few things like with Andrew (my main character in TSU.) He's supposed to have a Phobia (Scopophobia, the morbid fear of people staring at him. There are several names for this phobia.) Yet sometimes I forget he has such a phobia.

Normally he doesn't like it when people stare directly at him due to his phobia, but he is a relatively normal guy who actually does try to be social. The second you actually stare at him directly he will completely lose it and will go into a fit of hysteria yelling "Please don't stare at me!" Until the person staring at him stops, he leaves the area, he warms up to a person enough (even then he would still freak out a little if a close friend of his stares at him), or he knocks himself out with a technique he taught himself. Even the thought of people staring at him is unnerving for him. This phobia is something he will try to overcome over the course of TSU.

However sometimes I will downright forget, or don't know how to respond to certain situations and I make Andrew seem quite shy like Trista (TRXD's character.) Yet I have to remember that "Andrew is not shy, he just has a severe phobia of people staring at him."

Also just remember that no matter how you plan certain things to go in an RP, even if you plan things with others. The chances of planned events to go 100% exactly the way you want it is kind of slim as you never know how a certain character might react to certain situations, and you will never know how things might actually turn out. Hence why I try to plan out something in an RP like in TSU. With a standard point A to point B mindset, yet leave the part in between Point A, and Point B mostly blank to allow room for a story to form.

Like say for example in All the World's a Game Season II. I have a small story arc planned in ATWAG II which involves the characters from Elsword, and a few others going back to the world of Elsword in order to stop the Demon General/king Ran (far different from Ran of Touhou.) Yet what happens between the point where the characters of ATWAG II go to the world of Elsword, and when they finally defeat Ran is completely up to what happens between the characters...

GODDAMMIT I ENDED UP RANTING ON AND ON AGAIN!!!

Oh and quick question for you Mehnum...

How long did Progan sleep in TSU? I mean... I don't want him to proceed the time in the RP, because currently in TSU it's supposed to be somewhere between 10:30-11:00 AM.
      Last edited by SUSTIC; 01-27-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

@SUSTIC

Thanks! This actually helped alot. Cause I was kind of thinking of creating another character... I think I will stick to one character first until my writing gets better! XD
        "A programmer doesn’t talk when he’s working" ~ Akasaka Ryuunnosuke from Sakurasou no pet na kanojo

Comment

@Mehnum

No problem man. Also it is indeed wise to wait until one is a bit more experienced with writing/RPing before making several characters. As that can be quite strenuous on a person.

Comment

@Mehnum

To add to SUSTIC's answer I'd say that in many cases the gender may as well be irrelevant. If you do chose to RP another gender it can be smart to actually see when this is the case and when it is not. If you can master that then you won't notice a difference.

@TRXD

You completely ignored my post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
            Born in the light.
            Molded in the dark

Never Forget,
            Keep Fighting.
            –Don't Forget.
            Always, somewhere,
            someone is fighting for you.
            –As long as you remember her,
            you are not alone.

Comment

Good morning.

@Sus
              But Aeneas is rich so :3

I mean I'm not going to go full out Advanced Droid stuff. Just gonna give him like...

Rolls Royce or something along that calibur xD
              sigpic
              Spoiler:

Comment

@ Wriggs

Time to end the battle with Lucco vs Shulk and Kenway

I'm going to play Shulk's Trump Card against "Special ability" based enemies.

Monado Purge...
                very specific use in Xenoblade as most enemies were not ability based...
                Here...99% of characters that are in use are ability based.

Comment

@Cuckoo
                  I was just about to.

Also, doesn't Monado Purge only counter magic-based abilities?
                  sigpic
                  Spoiler:

Comment

Removes and prevents the use of buffs and special abilities

...like Lucco's Teleport and anything of the sort.

I'm treating the arms as a buff.
                    ...unless those are not magic arms...In which case I'll remove that detail, but still, he won't be able to teleport.

Comment

Let's see...

His arms are indeed magic.

His Teleportation however...

Is science.
                      sigpic
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Doesn't matter

The Monado works on organic and mechanical beings regardless

Even if his teleport was a device, he wouldn't be able to use it.

EDIT:

Monado Purge is not a rip, it's a PURGE

Literally, the Ether Blast, A giant blast of energy, PURGES abilities

The cutscene shows a stun effect, but it doesn't really do that.
                        Last edited by Cucoo5; 01-27-2014, 11:54 AM.

Comment

:/

I really really think that's overpowered. (The only people I can see winning against him is Yuuka (Who just uses overwhelming magic power) and Yukari)

But Ima give Kenway the kill honor.
                          Ahahahahahahaha-
                          sigpic
                          Spoiler:

Comment

Even Yuuka and Yukari would have a tough time if they tried to just outright kill Shulk or anyone with Monado I or II.

There's a reason the Monado III (Shulk's Monado) is the God-Slaying Sword.

The reason you think it's OP is because the more powerful the attack, and if the attack is meant to kill, the easier Shulk can counter it.

There are plenty of counter measures against the Monado...

Just you gotta think outside of just trying to Overkill to win.

Also I don't get it, Kenway was hit...how can he not be wounded?
                            Last edited by Cucoo5; 01-27-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

You seem to be mistaken.

Yes Kenway is hit, but I figured he had enough willpower to remain standing.
                              sigpic
                              Spoiler:

Comment

In game, he would be knocked down and would be slow to get up. He is supposed to be almost human in abilities.
                                I broke that somewhat to make him seem to last a little longer. Against guns he wouldn't be alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X